New, new, new

New to 40

New to this forum

New silvery gray strands sneaking in my hair

I don't know how happy I am to be 40; but, I'm glad I found this forum. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions. I'll start with just one topic on hair coloring. I have little silver/white strands in my red hair. I'm confused about the different types of dyes and some things I've read about color-resistant grays.

I have not found a stylist in the Seattle area who understands my hair - both the curl texture/pattern and the red color.

My mom's stylist always cuts my hair when I go for visits (New Orleans). She said not to worry that it just blends... but, if I wanted to pursue it she would just use a Redken semi-permanent color in a golden color. It would make the grays seem like highlights. Does that sound right?

I tried henna once before. It made my red hair GLOW. It covered grays for about a week or two; then, washed out (but only from the gray strands!)

I went to a Seattle salon and had a semi-permanent red put in to cover the gray. Wow! It was bright! It definitely colored the gray, but made my hair look like Pebbles (from the Flintstones cartoon). She put a toner on it to make more brown... still looked flourescent red to me. Anyhow, it's been 5 weeks since that color. I now have a line (roots!). It looks like I have blonde roots, so I realize how much darker the color was.

After looking through curltalk posts, I see that curly/coarse hair absorbs more color. I also think mine comes out much brighter because my natural red color combines with what they are adding. It doesn't seem like hair colors are designed for natural redheads. Even if you pick up box color for red hair, it will show what it does for shades of brown hair and blond hair.

I'm at a loss.

What did you do when you started getting grey?

Highlight to blend? Dye to cover? Complete change?

Do you think that there is a semi/demi product that will cover my gray and blend with my natural color?

My siggy pic is me before I ever added any color to it.

Thanks for any advice or even for pointing me in the right direction.
Welcome to the best part of the forum!

I think what your stylist said sounds great, especially considering what has happened recently.
The golden color will cover the greys giving them a more blonde look, but the rest of your natural hair will only look shinier. The reason is the semi-permanent dye isn't permanent, and can only deposit. It sounds like the golden color will basically be transparent over the red hair.
As for what to do now, I think you need to consult a professional because the toner must have had enough peroxide to make the color permanent, rather than semi-permanent. If you feel like playing around you can check a drug store for the hair color that washes out in 7 washes to find a color that will cover the outgrowth, until you're ready to do something else.
There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
Hello and welcome.

I have a hair dye allergy but lots and lots of grey hair. My hairstylist highlights to blend it out. I like it a lot as you don't get that "line" of grey as it grows like you do with all over colour.
Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.

I tried henna once before. It made my red hair GLOW. It covered grays for about a week or two; then, washed out (but only from the gray strands!)
Originally Posted by ringlets of fire

If you had henna wash out, I'm kinda doubting it was real henna. Henna doesn't wash out, even from gray hair. "Compound henna" might wash out though...compound hennas are hennas with dubious ingredients that you would find in beauty supplies. What a real hennahead uses is Body Art Quality henna.

There are things that can be done with henna now to keep the GLOW down...other plant dyes you can mix with henna to get just a subtle red along with golden highlights (Cassia and Buxus). Natural redheads are perfect candidates for such mixes. Take a look at this site and see if it interests you and look at the "Blonde Bundles" of henna and cassia (second link):

http://www.hennaforhair.com/

http://www.mehandi.com/shop/blondebundle/index.html

We all struggle with how to color our gray hair (or whether to do it at all). I don't think highlights actually "blend" the gray away...they just add another color to our already several-toned hair, and I don't see many highlighted gray heads that actually look good. I struggled with severe hair damage from commercial and professional dyes that contained peroxide (I'm a swimmer and peroxide and chlorine are a terrible combination. I even decided to grow out my gray and just be gray...that was a disaster too. I'm just not "gray enough" yet. The gray just made me look faded and old.

So, I do an allover henna color and touch up the roots every 7-10 days because my hair is very dark and grows quickly and therefore shows gray roots fast (root touchups are easy) and only do a full-head henna once a year. My henna doesn't fade, at all. In someone with not such dark hair, root touchups wouldn't have to be done as often.

I'll re-visit the going-gray thing again in a few years and see if I'm gray enough then. I don't think it looks good til someone is 50-75% gray...and some women never get there, even in very old age.
Banned
Welcome to the best part of the forum!

I think what your stylist said sounds great, especially considering what has happened recently.
The golden color will cover the greys giving them a more blonde look, but the rest of your natural hair will only look shinier. The reason is the semi-permanent dye isn't permanent, and can only deposit. It sounds like the golden color will basically be transparent over the red hair.
As for what to do now, I think you need to consult a professional because the toner must have had enough peroxide to make the color permanent, rather than semi-permanent. If you feel like playing around you can check a drug store for the hair color that washes out in 7 washes to find a color that will cover the outgrowth, until you're ready to do something else.
Originally Posted by cynaminbear
Absolutely!

Trending Topics