Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Over 40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2008, 06:28 PM   #1

Default I want shiny grey hair! If you have it, please help!

I have been CO washing for several years. I use cone-free conditioners; I try to not use parabens and sulfates also. I have a lot of gray in my hair now and it's not very shiny. I am thinking of going back to conditioners with cones (still doing CO washing, but possibly clarifying -- I don't clarify much at all now).

I would love any suggestions for good CO conditioners that can help gray hair shine. I already alternate in a purple conditioner (Aveda Blue Malva, Silver Fox, etc.)
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, coconut oil overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Terax Crema, Moroccan Oil Restorative Mask, Je Veux Revitalizing Mud Mask, Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix
Spiralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:47 PM   #2

I don't know of any conditioners that will give you shine, but you can get great shine from cassia obovata...which is sometimes called "neutral henna". Cassia can impart a golden stain to hair if you let it dye-release, but that takes 12 hours. If you want to use it for shine only without the golden stain, just mix it with warm water and apply to hair, leave on for an hour or two, rinse, and you will have awesome shine for about a month.

Hennaforhair.com is a reliable source for cassia:

http://www.mehandi.com/shop/cassiaobovatabuy.html
RedCatWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:22 AM   #3

Thanks, RCW. I would be concerned about cassia yellowing my gray (I actually have a lot of white) hair. I may try this, since it's a natural product, for that 1-2 hours. Is cassia hard to work with once it's mixed with water? Does it smell? Is it hard to rinse out? I will definitely check out that site!

Still would like some regular conditioner recs, too (online or d/s), if anyone has had good results with them on gray hair.
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Terax Crema, Moroccan Oil Restorative Mask, Je Veux Revitalizing Mud Mask, Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix
Old 09-02-2008, 06:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by curls2grow View Post
Thanks, RCW. I would be concerned about cassia yellowing my gray (I actually have a lot of white) hair. I may try this, since it's a natural product, for that 1-2 hours. Is cassia hard to work with once it's mixed with water? Does it smell? Is it hard to rinse out? I will definitely check out that site!

I would be concerned too about the yellowing thing...you can do a test strand underneath (or on shed hair) to make sure (they sell small test amounts at that site just for that purpose). Cassia smells earthy, not bad though. You mix it up to the consistency of yogurt and slap it on the hair as a mudpack, so it's a bit messy. Think of it as a spa treatment.
RedCatWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:16 AM   #5

I've also been looking for ways to increase the shine in my hair. It's dark brown hair with a liberal amount of gray (mine are quite silvery) mixed in, and it seems like it's been getting duller over the years as the gray has increased, but it's also possible that may not be the cause. I tried Cassia this spring, and while I didn't get the results I was hoping for, it was an enjoyable, spa-like experience. The smell is best described as "grassy" -- I liked it. You do have to rinse repeatedly to get it out, but using a cheap conditioner can help with that. When I researched cassia earlier in the year, I seem to recall reading that not everyone will experience fantastic results the first time out, but if used repeatedly, the shine would increase. I just haven't decided whether I want to order more yet. The Hennaforhair.com site has great info, and there is also a huge thread on the 4a board called Experiences with Henna? you may want to browse through -- there's discussion of cassia included within the thread. The cassia did not cause my grays to yellow at all.

I've had good success now that I've gone back to CG using Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner and incorporating honey back into my routine, but I have to confess it's only been about a week or so. I also realized I was using way too much conditioner and leaving it in too long, and I think that may have been contributing to the dullness. My hair has gotten so healthy using the methods on this board, and I don't think it needs as much as it did in the beginning. Right now I just let the water soak my hair, give my scalp a good massage (sometimes using a dab of honey while I massage), rinse again, distribute a nickel-sized blob of the AOHR throughout, quickly rinse it out, another quick scalp massage, then I take a dime to nickel-sized blob of honey and distribute it throughout, and rinse. It's easy and cheap and readily available too!
B-wavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #6

Thanks, B-wavy. How long did you let the cassia sit after you mixed it, and did you just use water to mix it up or something else? Also, how long did you let it sit on your hair. Looks like a big science project to use any type of henna-type product on the hair, so I will really have to get psyched up if I am going to try the cassia.

I've been looking at the Alterna Caviar conditioners. I know they are very expensive and I am thinking they contain 'cones. But the "anti-aging" marketing gimmick sort of hooked my attention.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:21 AM   #7

I went by the instructions that came with the cassia which said to mix it with warm water and let it sit for 15 minutes before applying. I didn't add anything else to it -- some of the people on the 4a thread use green tea rather than plain water (which I will do if I try it again) and adding things like honey or a little bit of oil, but I wanted to try it "plain" first. And although the instructions say to leave it on for a half hour, I left it on for about two hours based on what I read on the 4a thread. If I had started earlier in the morning, I would have left it on longer. I really did enjoy the experience and am debating trying it again. If it were something I didn't have to order online, I definitely would keep up with it. Lately, I prefer to keep everything simple and use only products I can obtain locally.

For a while last year, I also went back to using cones but quickly abandoned them again. I really didn't like the feeling of them in my hair after being cone-free for so long, and they also did a real number on my scalp which took a few months to clear up. But a lot of people can use them with no problems, so I say whatever works for you, go for it!
B-wavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Trending Topics[-]hide