Help with Perspiration! Eeek!

I noticed since turning 41, I often need to bring a second top to work since I sweat so heavily by late morning, early afternoon.
I don't know if I would call the problem hot flashes or if they are, they are a mild version of the ones I had induced medically a decade ago for gyn problems....

I have tried Clinical Strength Secret, Adidas Athletic Strength (different active chemical), Mitchell Extra Strength....etc.....but nothing seems to work and I just feel unprofessional and frankly, disgusting by 2pm. (and I teach high school, I am "onstage" all day)

Anyone have success with an OTC anti-perspirant? Or have any other useful ideas?

HELP!
Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
Co-wash: TJ Nourish
Protein: CJ Repair Me
Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
I've dealt with this issue, too, and the clinical strength OTC antiperspirants did nothing for me. Cutting down on caffeine helped somewhat.

If you're open to more aggressive measures, ask your doctor or dermatologist for a prescription antiperspirant. They work a lot better than the "clinical strength" OTC ones, although some users report irritation/stinging. I'm trying one called "hypercare," and it seems to be helping. My skin is pretty sensitive, too, and it doesn't seem to be irritating me.

Some people actually get Botox shots for this issue, if prescriptions don't work. Certain dermatologists do this -- a google search would probably help you find them. Insurance may or may not cover it -- but if you try the prescription first and it doesn't work, they are more likely to do so.

Good luck dealing with this. I finally did because it was interfering with my confidence on the job. To me, that's important enough to justify medical interventions.

Good luck!
Thanks. I am trying to cut back on the caffeine, since it makes sense to me that the caffeine may be part of it.

I am also re-starting my exercise program, so I am hoping that will help as well. And I will be calling my doctor to see if I need any hormone work!

I hope I can manage this since it is just awful.
Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
CG since '08.

I've dealt with this issue, too, and the clinical strength OTC antiperspirants did nothing for me. Cutting down on caffeine helped somewhat.

If you're open to more aggressive measures, ask your doctor or dermatologist for a prescription antiperspirant. They work a lot better than the "clinical strength" OTC ones, although some users report irritation/stinging. I'm trying one called "hypercare," and it seems to be helping. My skin is pretty sensitive, too, and it doesn't seem to be irritating me.

Some people actually get Botox shots for this issue, if prescriptions don't work. Certain dermatologists do this -- a google search would probably help you find them. Insurance may or may not cover it -- but if you try the prescription first and it doesn't work, they are more likely to do so.

Good luck dealing with this. I finally did because it was interfering with my confidence on the job. To me, that's important enough to justify medical interventions.

Good luck!
Originally Posted by wavycurly40+
I just read this in a magazine, today. It suggested either a prescription antiperspirant or botox. I'm sure the prescription would be cheaper. I had heard some years ago that there are men who get botox in their pits because of the sweating.
AKA lotsawaves
AKA new2curls
I have read a bit on this a couple months ago when I was the matron of honor in my sister's wedding. FANCY wedding. I feared the horror of stains on my chiffon strapless gown (no sleeve to hide stains). I also had tried the clinical Secret with no relief. So I obtained a prescription as well as found something on line called "MAXIM". I took both with me out of town to the wedding, and had very good luck with the Maxim. Haven't even used the prescription one yet. The trick with all these is to put it on at night before going to bed so it soaks in. It was warm during the outside wedding ceremony, but I had NO problems!! BTW, it is called "hyperhidrosis" and can be on the palms, face, armpits.... even feet I think...
Hmmm.....I will have to do some research on the Maxim product.
Even using the Clinical strength products the night before didn't help all that much.

I did find that consistent exercise is helping quite a bit.
CG since '08.

I wanted to respond to your problem with under arm sweating . I found a great antiperspirant sold in drugstores . Its called Certain Dri sold in drugstores. You totally stop sweating under arms. I walk 3 miles a day to work and arrive at work dry. Before using it I would have to change my shirt upon arrival. Please try.
That's odd. I'm 43 years old and I have never heard of this problem before. I don't sweat any more than I always did as an adult, which isn't much.
You may not have started any hormone shifts yet, or your hormone changes aren't affecting you in this way. My OB/GYN tells me it is common and I just need to figure out how to balance the hormones.

I cut out caffeine and that is helping, but I still have days where it is just awful. I am trying a new vitamin/hormone balancing program soon. My OB/GYN recommended it and I am hoping it will just help all around stuff.

I am still hunting for Certain Dri in the stores near me. I would like to use more natural products so may see if I can find something that helps, although I am not sure the natural products help with the wetness as much.
CG since '08.

Trending Topics