an addendum to my column this month

http://www.naturallycurly.com/senior...etter-with-age

about makeup for us "older" women...

a couple of days after i filed this with G&M, i read an article that had a couple of tips i found to be REALLY strange!

for example, one of them said to apply your foundation starting at the jaw line and then to feather it UP!

now, i don't know about you, but i still mostly need foundation in my t-zone, especially around my nose, and much less of it on the outer reaches of my face. the reasoning behind the "feather it up" technique is that we have more lines in the centre of our face and we don't want foundation to gather in the creases, as it were.

frankly, at this age, i think we all know how to apply makeup so that it enhances our features, and that includes avoiding having it "gather" in the creases.

the other tip that had me going HUH, was:

stop using more than one colour at a time on your eye lids.

there was no rationale given for that one.

all i can say is; i have 3 MAC 15-pan palettes full of colour, not to mention my stuff from Stila and NARS. if i wore only one colour a day for the rest of my life, my heirs would probably be able to make a pretty penny selling off my rare MAC eye shadows as part of my estate.

so - NUTS to that!!!

most days, i do wear two or three colours. and i will continue to, as long as it looks good!!!!

My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
Hi rouquinne!
Great article and tips, and I couldn't agree with you more about how us mature women are constantly being told "not" to do certain things! It's almost like they want us to disappear, hence the usual advice for bland looks! Finally some relevant advice that allows for individual cosmetic expression by us baby boomers that don't like to be put into the proverbial "old lady" box, or just as bad IMO, the generic look that seems to be very prevalent in makeovers of baby boomer women. I agree with you about the newer shimmer-containing products being some good choices. I have several things in this category, and they really are very nice without the dreaded sparkly or disco-ball effect so they work even during the daytime.
As far as exactly what makeup look, or what hair length, that depends entirely on the individual woman's overall look and lifestyle.
Here I am, 61, and if I went by what the mags told me, I'd be wearing some nice inoffensive pant suit or generic-looking dress or suit or something, with a blondish highlighted blown-dry bob or shorter, and safe-looking jewelry and totally bland makeup. Instead, I wear jeans, layered looks in rich colors that I often dye myself, and wild reddish-brown curls that have not seen a blow-dryer since the mid-70s, any jewelry that I'm in the mood for, or not. People tell me all the time I look great, and that they wish they could dress like me(I'm still trim, so I can do those layered looks without looking like a sausage or a ship under full sail).
health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
I wear the mineral makeup & always start at the jawline and work my way up. I also wear only one color of eye shadow & never wear any shimmer products. The shimmery eyeshadows make my eye wrinkles stand out more. I've never figured out how to wear 3 different shades of shadow. I do still wear my hair long, so I guess there is still a little bit of a rebel in me.

Cara4Curls, it's nice to know there is someone here older then me.
AKA lotsawaves
AKA new2curls
it's when i hear that we MUST do this because of our age that i get my Irish up!

My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
Totally agree! My daughter used me as a 'mature' model in her make-up class and 'did' me how she was supposed to, when she finished she looked at me and said "No Mom.........this is not you!" On went coloured eyeliner (yup!) and more colour all over. When the teacher came over.......she looked and said - I agree this looks better on your Mom! So...guess at 61 I'm not using 1 colour on my eyes....definately not going to wear pants with elastic! So Sue Me!!!!
between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
http://public.fotki.com/notty6

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!
I like elastic in my pants...but I definitely wear lots of color on my face, not just one shade of flat neutral.
it's when i hear that we MUST do this because of our age that i get my Irish up!

Originally Posted by rouquinne
I'm with you! I saw a book a year or so back with fashion advice for women over 40, and it had the NERVE to say that no woman over 40 should ever appear in public with bare arms! And not just bare -- even short sleeves were a no-no.

Huh????? Yeah, like I lift weights so that I can wear long sleeves every day. Like I'm going to wear long sleeves when it's 90 degrees out.

Threw that book aside in haste!

Originally Posted by rouquinne
I'm Scottish/Irish, so I totally know where you are coming from.
AKA lotsawaves
AKA new2curls
"I'm with you! I saw a book a year or so back with fashion advice for women over 40, and it had the NERVE to say that no woman over 40 should ever appear in public with bare arms! And not just bare -- even short sleeves were a no-no.

Huh????? Yeah, like I lift weights so that I can wear long sleeves every day. Like I'm going to wear long sleeves when it's 90 degrees out.

Threw that book aside in haste!" - wavycurly40+

I think I saw the same book in the last year or so at Borders - I couldn't believe it! They had other needlessly conservative advice too, taking all the fun out of looking good. Again, like we're supposed to disappear into the woodwork with these drearily generic, bland styles and looks! Like you, I lift weights as part of a comprehensive physical program, and let me tell you, I still have good arms at 61, and the beginnings of nice deltoid definition as well. Even my skin quality is still good, with far less crepiness than would be expected at my age(extra-virgin coconut rules as my only body treatment along with the occasional scrub, plus a great diet loaded with raw produce which makes a HUGE difference!)So I'm wearing short sleeves anytime I want!
Last but not least, some of us who are higher-contrast by coloring, need more oomph in our makeup. Personally I wear a couple of eyeshadow colors during the day, with a gorgeous smokey charcoal green eyeliner that really makes my eyes pop, sheer foundation, a nice bronzer as blush, and a rich nude daytime lipstick. At night I'll wear a warm plum lipstick with some rich gloss on it, and that same gloss works on the nude lipstick too. A richer coral blush works at night too for me. I love makeup and haircoloring, and I'll likely be coloring my hair(rich reddish-brown, no bland blonde shades) for a long time, like g-string granny mentioned in another thread.
health-conscious, visionary artist in transition

Trending Topics