If you've lost weight, how have you done it?

I walk everyday as well. I dunno what happened when I hit 40, but my weight started coming on and I couldn't lose it the way that I use to. I walk everyday but Sundays(pig out day) for an hour. I try to eat right and I LOVE milk which we need right now I stay far away from cakes, cookies, and sweets all the time. Chips and fries are my weakness though , but I got my right weight back finally.
I am sure that you will do fine, but never starve yourself. Worst thing you can do.
Curl type: 3A--I think

Currently using: Suave Cocoanut conditioner and twist and curls Herbal Essence Gel

Newbee here-40years and no one knew how to help my hair. Finally have help
I agree, starving yourself is a bad idea! I wouldn't do that, it's not worth it. Good for you for walking regularly Peilady. I try to walk twice a week as a supplement to the workouts I do. I love to walk actually, my body just feels so good afterwards!
I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.
I have been 10-12 lbs overweight 3 tims in my life - after pregnancies and, last Fall after an injury when I couldnt run for 6 months.

Its relatively simple (altho everyone has a different build, metabolic rate and healthy weight set point):

I run 3-5 miles 4 time a week and I weight train 3 tmes a week. When I train I train hard. I eat clean (tons of produce, lean protein, minimal whole grains). I treat myself sometimes but I try to always be aware of what I've consumed.

Hey, I'm 46 and by body has definitely changed... But I find its easier to put the work into maintaining then having to lose (deprivation sux). And for me, skinny taste better then fat
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
I'm late to this thread, but it's still alive and I really don't want to do the work I'm supposed to be doing right now, so I'll chime in. I've had good luck with:

1) Cutting down on white flour and moving to whole grains (I thought it was a gimmick, but no, apparently not!)

2) Eating 2-3 mini-meals throughout the day, all with at least some protein, rather than sitting down for a full lunch and snacking on carbs-only throughout the day

3) Upping my exercise from 35-40 minutes per outing to 40-60 minutes

Good luck!
I'm late to this thread, but it's still alive and I really don't want to do the work I'm supposed to be doing right now, so I'll chime in. I've had good luck with:

1) Cutting down on white flour and moving to whole grains (I thought it was a gimmick, but no, apparently not!)

2) Eating 2-3 mini-meals throughout the day, all with at least some protein, rather than sitting down for a full lunch and snacking on carbs-only throughout the day

3) Upping my exercise from 35-40 minutes per outing to 40-60 minutes

Good luck!
Originally Posted by wavycurly40+
Cutting back on white flour and eliminating dairy did it for me. (I supplement vitamins A & D).
Yeah the white flour is poison. But dont eliminate ALL dairy - studies support adequate dairy intake is crucial for weight loss (not to mention our aging bones!)

I do manage to skip the gratuitous dairy by using light soy in my cofee, cereal, etc. Less fat and calories, less bloating, and as a perimenopausal woman, the Soy is beneficial.
My Photobucket Album
Yeah the white flour is poison. But dont eliminate ALL dairy - studies support adequate dairy intake is crucial for weight loss (not to mention our aging bones!)

I do manage to skip the gratuitous dairy by using light soy in my cofee, cereal, etc. Less fat and calories, less bloating, and as a perimenopausal woman, the Soy is beneficial.
Originally Posted by rudeechick
What a cute avatar bear!

Yes--aware of the studies, but my body tells me differently. Dairy doesn't work for me. But I respect that others may be different.

Been w/out dairy well over five years and doing well. No bone loss, broken, etc. Supplementing w/A &D and other supplements helps, as does weight activity and LOTS of leafy green veggies (containing vitamin D). But this is just for me. Everyone is different of course.

Last edited by blyss_curls; 09-25-2008 at 07:21 PM.

Originally Posted by rudeechick
What a cute avatar bear!

Yes--aware of the studies, but my body tells me differently. Dairy doesn't work for me. But I respect that others may be different.

Been w/out dairy well over five years and doing well. No bone loss, broken, etc. Supplementing w/A &D and other supplements helps, as does weight activity and LOTS of leafy green veggies (containing vitamin D). But this is just for me. Everyone is different of course.
Originally Posted by blyss_curls
Well naturally you have to go by your own body! I have a touch of bone loss due to years of thyroid meds. And I do find i have an intolerance for milk - but yogurt and some cheese is ok.

as for my avatar - I will tell my 7 year old, he designed it! Its Darth Teddy
My Photobucket Album
Is there anything that can kick-start my metabolism? It's just flat lined the last couple of months and I'm stuck within two pounds of the same weight. I've been doing a modified Zone (2 blocks) and though I'm eating better overall, I wonder if adding more of somethings (eggs, more meat, peanut butter) is causing me to gain over my usual higher carb previous diet (oatmeal for breakfast and more cereal/crackers/pretzels).
Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
Is there anything that can kick-start my metabolism? It's just flat lined the last couple of months and I'm stuck within two pounds of the same weight. I've been doing a modified Zone (2 blocks) and though I'm eating better overall, I wonder if adding more of somethings (eggs, more meat, peanut butter) is causing me to gain over my usual higher carb previous diet (oatmeal for breakfast and more cereal/crackers/pretzels).
Originally Posted by Spider
That's been my problem too, metabolism that seems to be working in slo-mo. Neither low fat or low carb seem to make a difference. I will say that when I work out/walk more I seem to drop a lb or two, but as soon as I lessen my exercise I gain it right back.
I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.

Trending Topics