If you've lost weight, how have you done it?

As we all know, after a certain age it is so difficult to lose that extra 5 or 10 lbs. I would desperately love to shed a few lbs, but I am at a loss. I understand that as we age our metabolism slows down, but still, it's frustrating. I just want to lose 5 lbs! If you've been successful losing weight, please tell me how you did it. Maybe I'll learn something!
I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.
I have lost 7 lbs. in the last 4 weeks just by drastically cutting calories and eliminating simple carbs from my diet. I have kept my same activity level. I work out 6 days a week, 3 cardio days and 3 weight-lifting days, resting on Sunday.

I am 45 years old and it does get harder and harder every year to lose weight and simply to maintain. I noticed a drastic change in my mid thirties. Activity level alone was not showing results. As soon as I incorporated better eating habits, the weight came off pretty quickly.

It is a struggle every day. I limit wine to one small glass with dinner, I stay away from sweets (just one small square of dark chocolate a day) and absolutely no junk food or anything white - flour, rice, bread. If I fall off my plan, the weight can come back on pretty quickly. Hope some of this helps!
Misspam, I'm impressed by your workout schedule. I work out but only 2-3 times a week although I do walk a lot. I will need to work on reducing my carb intake again. For a while there I was not eating anything white either, but I have been slipping a little lately with bread and crackers. I do have a pretty decent diet; I try to eat whole foods and lots of fruit and raw veggies, but I struggle with sweets. I really don't eat much, but apparently I'm eating more than I should. Thanks for the tips. I will definitely try to cut down on the carbs again.

Was your goal 7 lbs or did you want to lose more?
I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.
I have not lost much weight but have lost 2 sizes on the Eat Clean "Diet" and moderate excercise (running 1-2K at least 5 times a week and weights a couple times a week). I quoted diet because although it is called a diet it isn't really one. It's lifestyle of no simple carbs as misspam said and lean protein with every meal.

I don't have her willpower though as I often can't resist that second glass of wine. LOL
Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
It's so hard when you need to lose just a few lbs. I know, I've been there. I have to keep it very basic. A sample diet for me would be:

Breakfast

2 boiled eggs

Lunch

Salad w/oil & vinegar

Dinner

Lean protein & green vegetable.

If I feel I have to snack between meals, I will have a baked apple with Stevia sweetener & cinnamon.

Try this for 2 weeks & drink plenty of water & no other liquids.
AKA lotsawaves
AKA new2curls
Misspam, I'm impressed by your workout schedule. I work out but only 2-3 times a week although I do walk a lot. I will need to work on reducing my carb intake again. For a while there I was not eating anything white either, but I have been slipping a little lately with bread and crackers. I do have a pretty decent diet; I try to eat whole foods and lots of fruit and raw veggies, but I struggle with sweets. I really don't eat much, but apparently I'm eating more than I should. Thanks for the tips. I will definitely try to cut down on the carbs again.

Was your goal 7 lbs or did you want to lose more?
Originally Posted by starina
Actually, my goal is to lose 5 to 7 more lb. That would put me where I feel my best - 120 lbs. I am only 5'3", currently able to fit into my size 4 jeans, but I still have a goal I feel like I want to achieve. I know some of the pounds are increased muscle due to weight lifting, so maybe my goal is all in my head!

It sounds like your diet is already pretty clean. The Clean Diet that whatsercurl referred to sounds pretty much what I strive to maintain every day. The biggest thing is to avoid anything processed. I let myself have a "free" day once every 2 weeks or so. That's the day where I can eat whatever I want and I have not suffered any weight gain from that plan. That way I don't feel deprived.

The food that g-stringranny posted sounds like my typical intake every day. I do drink loads of water, but I will never give up my coffee with cream - never! LOL

Good luck in reaching your goal. It can be difficult but it is definitely do-able.
As women get older, and ESPECIALLY at menopause and afterwards, digestion of refined starchy carbohydrates, especially slows down. All that while, the body is storing those as fat, instead of utilizing these for energy in the same way that younger women and men of any age do. This is why a middle-aged couple can go out for that pasta and bread-heavy Italian dinner, and the man is fine, while the woman is putting on even more fat and often feeling bloated after such a meal. The woman would have been better off at the restaurant ordering a clear soup, a salad and a protein-based dish, and avoided the bread, and had a wonderful meal, even including one small glass of wine for a treat if she wanted. Add to that hidden wheat sensitivities, and changing hormones, and you've got a recipe for continually adding pounds despite even working out!
Also, and this might sound counter-intuitive, be sure to eat ENOUGH food, even when attempting to lose weight. If one eats too little, the body goes into stress mode and interprets that as "famine's coming" and will store every morsel as fat, plus one's metabolism will drop even further on a sustained such a low level of calories. G-string granny, and one other poster here, it sounds like starvation to me - no way could I exist on so little food, and especially no fruit or much in the way of veggies. A diet like that can only be sustained for a short time, and is typical of women's mags type of "quick weight-loss plans" and virtually guarantees that you will go off the diet and binge, gaining all the weight back plus some more! This is not just my opinion either - there are others out there and even in the fitness business who say the same. Back to the carbs situation - even before menopause, some people are indeed highly carb-sensitive, and those are the ones who do well on low-carbohydrate eating plans(these do include plenty of vegetable carbs though, and some low-sugar fruit), while others of us need more in the way of carbs in general to even be able to function. I'm in the latter group, and my tactic now, post-menopause is a predominantly raw, nearly vegan diet, as I seem to do better on lighter fuel. But I do get plenty of assimilable protein in the form of blended dark greens, hemp protein powder, chia seeds, and some nuts and seeds in my diet, as well as eggs(twice a week). Wheat is not good for me, so I rarely eat it, although I do enjoy a bit of whole-grain rice a couple of times per week. The rest of my carbs are in the form of some beans(protein+carb), lots of veggies, dark green ones in particular, and plenty of fruit, and I'm very trim! Lots of people seem to demonize fruit, but I can tell you that even though it has sugar in it, it does not act the same way that refined sugar does! I also work out 5 days a week, spreading 3 weight-training days and 4 cardio days in that time frame. But I know for sure if I indulged very much at all in bread of all kinds, pasta, and much in the way of flour products, I would be putting on weight!
Also, one's metabolism DOES drop some with age, hastened by the loss of lean muscle tissue if we are not working out. Hence the importance of a good workout program, because BOTH diet and exercise are extremely important. Due to the metabolic drop, one can be doing the same exercise at the exact same intensity, speed, duration, etc. and you will be burning sometimes as much as 200 calories fewer than the 20-something person next to you on the treadmill, for instance.
And for weight loss at our age(I'm 61), dropping starchy carbs, most dairy and sweets, keeping a moderate amount of lean protein, really help, along with that weight-training program and reasonable cardio. One word about cardio as one gets older, don't make the mistake of going gang-busters all the time for a full hour on that machine - all that does is raise one's cortisol which our adrenals are pumping out plenty of at menopause, and that is notorious for putting on belly fat at a time when we totally DON'T need it. Less but smarter time on the machines, is much better. The gaining of fat actually happened to me when I was thinking I could just up my time in cardio to a full hour 5 days a week, and all that did was tire me out and put several fat pounds on me, despite a good diet. A trainer at my gym with whom I checked in told me that was way too much for me, and that I would be better off with 4 cardio days, and to mix it up between a couple of sessions of short high-intensity sessions(20-25 minutes)and for my longer lower-intensity sessions, no more than 40-45 minutes, tops. That made a big difference for me.
health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
g-string, your menu sounds similar to what I eat, but you probably eat less than I do. I also have two hard boiled eggs in the morning, but I only eat about a third of one of the egg yolks. I have a piece of fruit for lunch with tuna in water or sometimes leftovers. I should eat more salads but my fridge is crappy and doesn't keep lettuce very well, so I haven't been making salads the way I used to. Dinner is hit or miss and is probably where I make the most mistakes food wise. Also, I was drinking 8-10 glasses of water every day, but I had to cut down because I got tired of running to the bathroom!

whatsercurl, that's interesting that you haven't lost weight but did drop two sizes. Must be the muscle you are building with weights. I do weights also and know it has helped me. My only complaint is that I did increase a bra band size because I bulked up my back about an inch or so. I'm not too happy about that because I'm already busty (D cup) and I feel sort of like a football player or something. I have trouble finding tops that fit correctly. Other than that, weight training has been beneficial.

misspam, and good luck to you too on losing the rest of those lbs!
I've lost 40 pounds in the last couple of years (with long periods of no change at all - frustrating!) and I have about 40 to go.
I got outside again. I took up bicycling, hiking, a little backpacking, and have just started trying to run again.
I forgive myself if I stress eat and I don't let a morning lapse of a doughnut, for instance, justify pigging out for the rest of the day.
I changed the way I approach food - I never eat while doing something else (like surfing the Web, or reading, or driving). Conversation is OK, but that's it.
I pay attention to portion size (like, every restaurant meal is at least 3 times as much as I ought to eat).
I try to eat more whole grain than refined grain, I try to keep away from too many sweets (a deprivation diet does not work for me).
If I feel munchy, I try to go for a bell pepper or a cucumber or something veggie-like.
I find that the fewer sweets I eat the more sweet a simple apple will taste.
It is hard work, but these changes I have made are not a 'diet' (which seems temporary to me) but a hopefully permanent change.
There are days when it just sucks to diet.
Remind yourself of how far you've come and not how far you have to go.
2c/3b ii CG since 27.08.08
Using:
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose or Trader Joe's Nourish condish; Kiss My Face Upper Management Styling gel
Drying: with microfibre waffle weave dish towels from Walmart and a diffuser when I feel like it
Contemplating: trying a curl cream
I hope you don't mind me butting in, since my answer isn't about me, and isn't about those last 5-7 pounds, either....

My mom is 61 now. She lost around 60 lbs since spring '07. At that point, she had been walking and going to Curves for exercise, and exercising daily. She'd exhaust herself, but it wasn't helping her lose any weight. She simply has ZERO self control when it comes to food, and given the choice was always making bad choices. She's diabetic, and her blood sugar was getting out of control where she was afraid she would need injections.

So around April of last year, I started cooking for her. At the time, I would go to her house two to three times a week to cook. I started having organic produce delivered every week. Since my mom doesn't have self-control, part of the key is helping her play psychological games with herself. Seeing her refrigerator filled with lettuce and vegetables was enough to convince herself not to go out and buy brownies. She's never really been able to limit portion sizes, either. So everything had to be fairly low calorie options as well

When I cook, I intentionally cook extra and divide things into portions to freeze the extras. I always make far more vegetables than protein, so she can be limited. Every once in a while, I would get some sort of junk food and we'd split it, so my mom wasn't forever missing out on junk - but she has now changed her taste to where cupcakes and things taste kind of gross.

I make fresh pasta, whole wheat, I make doughs, etc. My mom CAN have some carbs, just has to limit them, so veggies are about 50% of the meal. Or more. The produce comes with carrot tops, all the leaves, etc. We cut off and freeze the unused veggie parts (and unused veggies since sometimes we just have too many!), then when we have a lot I remove them from the freezer, wash, then boil to make a veggie broth. I use that for everything from simmering chicken to boiling pasta to making soup. All more nutrients which make it healthier and more tasty and filling without costing more!

On top of that, my mom adopted a dog who has to be walked. And who was fat. She started walking him, and got up to about 3 miles/day. So there was a lot of hard work on her part!
The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
-Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
NetG, you are a wonderful daughter.
AKA lotsawaves
AKA new2curls
I've lost weight from having a broken heart.
I don't do diets, but I've lost 25 pounds in the past year from doing two things:

--Switching to water as my drink of choice;

and

--Walking. I'm working a several-times-weekly walk into my schedule (e.g. walking home from the grocery store, which is about 2 miles away, rather than taking the bus).

I've gone from 244 to 219 pounds, and lost two dress sizes, and am still losing.
Name: FeedYourHead's Hair

Description: 3B/Corkicelli/Fiii/BSL/light ash brown (colored)/CG since 2008

Likes: V05 Freesia as a co-wash, AOHR, Jessicurl RR & CCSS, banana hair masks, honey
Dislikes: Hairbrushes () and harsh detergents ()
Originally Posted by g-stringranny
Hey, I want to marry for love, but I'm open for adoption if you want to recommend me to any rich people.
The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
-Speckla

Hey, I want to marry for love, but I'm open for adoption if you want to recommend me to any rich people.
Originally Posted by NetG
Heck, I'm thinking about marrying you! That is amazing what you've done for your mother and inspiring too. It shows that people can change no matter what age and how set in their ways.

cara4curls, thanks for all that info. I picked up a few tips and learned some things I didn't know from your post. So thank you!

lizyoung, congratulations on your weight loss!
I don't do diets, but I've lost 25 pounds in the past year from doing two things:

and

--Walking. I'm working a several-times-weekly walk into my schedule (e.g. walking home from the grocery store, which is about 2 miles away, rather than taking the bus).

I've gone from 244 to 219 pounds, and lost two dress sizes, and am still losing.
Originally Posted by FeedYourHead
And congratulations to you too on losing all that weight. As far as drink of choice, water has always been mine. I never did drink soda the way some folks do.

ninja, I've done that diet also and can say that it was not the best way to lose weight. I lost 15 lbs when I was going through my divorce.
ITA! I got misty just thinking about what a great daughter you are. I have one son getting married in two weeks, but I have another son as well. What do you think of being my daughter-in-law? I can tell we'd be great friends!! Seriously though, you sound so thoughtful...your mother is truly blessed to have you as a daughter.
The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
ninja, I've done that diet also and can say that it was not the best way to lose weight. I lost 15 lbs when I was going through my divorce.
Yeah, it sucks.
ITA! I got misty just thinking about what a great daughter you are. I have one son getting married in two weeks, but I have another son as well. What do you think of being my daughter-in-law? I can tell we'd be great friends!! Seriously though, you sound so thoughtful...your mother is truly blessed to have you as a daughter.
Originally Posted by VTmom

Awwww. I'm lucky to have my mom! But really, I love cooking, and was able to help her. I want her around to meet her grandkids someday when there are some, and she *wanted* to be healthy, just knew she didn't have the skills to get herself there.

I think part of my point is sometimes we *all* need someone to support us and help us reach our goals.
-Speckla

and

Originally Posted by FeedYourHead

You go girl!
CG since Tuesday!
July '08
Suave Naturals Trop Coconut for cowash
Giovanni Direct Leave in-looking for a better option
FX Curls Booster gel-liking this so far
--and with a shopping list an arm long of new things to try! LOL

Trending Topics