CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   Over 40 (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/)
-   -   Hormones? (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/56113-hormones.html)

ringlets of fire 09-11-2008 02:26 PM

Hormones?

I saw Suzanne Sommers talking about bioidentical hormones. She looks great! I don't know anyone who takes hormones (except birth control pills). What do you know? Have any experience with hormones?

I just turned 40 and am wondering what hormonal changes I should expect. Right now, I'm on Yasmin birth control pills. I remember a co-worker (in her 50s) mentioning that she took birth control pills to help with menopause. I don't work there any more, so can't ask her.

Please share what you know.

Speckla 09-11-2008 07:10 PM

Well, I'll chime in and say I'm on Bioidentical Hormones but I had a total hysterectomy at 31 and don't really know what it is like to go through natural menopause. I can say that they great help with surgical menopausal symptoms and helpi me to finally feel normal.

blyss_curls 09-24-2008 09:02 PM

I recommend taking the time to read and learn more about it all, so when you are ready--you can make informed choices.

The powersurge website is a great resource. Check it out.

Some books:

Before the Change: Taking Charge of Your Perimenopause by Ann Louise Gittleman

(She tends to recommend her products and resources, it's how she makes a living--so take that for what it is and know there are other item brands just as good or better. Otherwise a solid resource!)

The Hormone Survival Guide by Nisha Jackson Ph.D.

(An ok pre-cursor to hormones, bio-hrt, traditional treatments, etc. If a local library has it, check it out.)

Hormones, Health and Happiness: A Natural Medical Formula for Rediscovering Youth with Bioidentical Hormones by Steven Hotze

(I haven't finished this book, yet. But I like what I've read thus far. I've read other articles by this doctor that I found informative and helpful. I like his work and approach to hormone balancing. His clinic gets rave reviews for it's work.).

Suzanne Somers' book is also a good resource. Haven't read it personally.

Also the doctor she speaks of in her book--Dr. John Lee. (google him to find his website).

Guide18 09-26-2008 08:28 AM

I used Premarin for about three years but stopped when the report came out about the adverse effects. I did use hormones in patch form for about a year after that, because the night sweats were so bad then that I was getting zero sleep. Some people theorize that hormones in patch form have fewer of the bad effects of oral HRT because they are not metabolized through the liver. (I used "Combi-Patch.")

I've seen some research lately saying that women who use hormones for a few years right after menopause are not likely to have harmful effects. Hope they're right!