Feeling very peri-menopausal right now

I have head my thyroid checked numerous times,it is always normal.
I used to walk every morning-I started last spring-and LOVED it.
I walked FAST ,worked up a sweat,lost weight and felt GREAT.
I know-why can't I do it now?
I just can't get off my lazy ass,I guess.
I would much rather sleep.
In fact,I would rather sleep than just about anything these days.
It would be nice to sleep at night,but of course,I am too hot and fidgety and can't shut my brain off,and toss and turn.....***** ***** *****.....I fall asleep a good 2 hours after my head hits the pillow.
*sigh*
I have talked to my doctors about this and have had tests and there isn't anything wrong with me other than I am slightly anemic.(I always have been)
Last night I was lying in bed thinking "tomorrow I am going to get up ,get my son off to the bus stop and WALK!" I was SO motivated-at 10pm!
This am,I crawled back under the sheets and slept 4 more hours.
Thank you ,Blyss and Mandy,I am going to read the info you provided!

"what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa
Oh, mar, I'm sorry you're feeling this way. Do you take music with you when you walk? Would it help, or listen to NPR? Maybe if you do it semi regularly, it'll become a habit you look forward to.

Try to stay focused on how good you'll feel years from now if you do it now. And don't push yourself, walk whatever speed you want to, it's all useful.

Maybe you could use a couple of sessions with a therapist to dig deeper, or talk about menopause. Who knows what lurks in our minds! LOL
3c
Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
CoWash: VO5 kiwi
Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
I had a hysterectomy at age 37, but ovaries were left. I was on tamoxifen for 5 years and used to get hot flashes while on that. I'm now 46 and am warmer than I used to be and get occasional hot flashes - but not as frequent nor as extreme as when on tamoxifen. But without having periods to go by, it's hard to judge where on the perimenopause/menopause continuum I am. My gyn doesn't believe in testing for hormome levels, she just says I'll know I'm done with menopause when I stop having hot flashes. I'd rather have a date to enter into my calendar so I'd know for sure when it's all done!
Originally Posted by 2poodles
I don't know where your gyn gets the idea that when you're done with menopause you will stop having hot flashes. For me it was 10 years before the hot flashes stopped.
Originally Posted by SuZenGuide

OMG SuZen! 10 years--that is truly depressing!
I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.
Guide18
I had a hysterectomy at age 37, but ovaries were left. I was on tamoxifen for 5 years and used to get hot flashes while on that. I'm now 46 and am warmer than I used to be and get occasional hot flashes - but not as frequent nor as extreme as when on tamoxifen. But without having periods to go by, it's hard to judge where on the perimenopause/menopause continuum I am. My gyn doesn't believe in testing for hormome levels, she just says I'll know I'm done with menopause when I stop having hot flashes. I'd rather have a date to enter into my calendar so I'd know for sure when it's all done!
Originally Posted by 2poodles
I don't know where your gyn gets the idea that when you're done with menopause you will stop having hot flashes. For me it was 10 years before the hot flashes stopped.

Originally Posted by starina

Yup, not kidding!

I never had a hot flash until the moment my period stopped dead (I was 46). HRT took care of the flashes for a couple of years, but then I went back off after the reports came out of the bad effects. Since then I've just had to suffer. They got less frequent after about 6 years. This year (the 10th) I am pretty much flash free.

Originally Posted by starina

Yup, not kidding!

I never had a hot flash until the moment my period stopped dead (I was 46). HRT took care of the flashes for a couple of years, but then I went back off after the reports came out of the bad effects. Since then I've just had to suffer. They got less frequent after about 6 years. This year (the 10th) I am pretty much flash free.
My gyn told me the same thing -- that 10 years isn't that unusual. I had a complete hysterectomy in 1999. I still take natural estrogen troches sublingually but when I run out, the heat is back. In the last year the flashes have turned to flushes so there's hope.
About 6 or 7 months ago I woke up, looked in the mirror and there was an entire other body attached to the front of mine and this one was full of cellulite. I didn't stop exercising -- just got old, I think. So between that and the word retrieval problem that comes with a loss of estrogen, aging pretty much sucks, you know?
"About 6 or 7 months ago I woke up, looked in the mirror and there was an entire other body attached to the front of mine and this one was full of cellulite. I didn't stop exercising -- just got old, I think. So between that and the word retrieval problem that comes with a loss of estrogen, aging pretty much sucks, you know?" - curlyzan

What kind of exercise are you doing? Reason I ask is because as one ages, one loses muscle mass unless one is doing a solid weight-training routine. This one reason why, say, someone who only runs or does aerobics faithfully for years will still gain a bunch of weight and body fat, because they haven't addressed the muscle issue. Cardio is great for your heart, endurance, but does nothing to maintain or increase muscle mass in the body. The cellulite issue is also because of the fact as one ages, the skin is less elastic and thins out with age, thus making underlying fat more visible. I'd be willing to bet if you got yourself to the gym, and also changed your diet to much less sugar and refined starchy carbohydrates, you will be able to shift your body composition to a firmer one. Granted, this takes longer when you're older, but it is definitely possible. Make most of your carbs vegetable and fruit ones, and add a bit of lean protein to your meals. If you do have starchy carbs, make them unrefined, like brown rice, oatmeal, squashes and tubers(like yams and carrots). Reason for avoiding refined, and even TOO many unrefined starchy carbs at this time is because our digestion changes such that these types of carbs tend to go to increased body fat instead of being used for energy the way they are in younger women and most men. Avoid alcohol too. I know there are people out there who say a glass of wine per day is fine, but for many of us, especially those at high risk of breast cancer, it is a total no-no. Also, it really messes with hormonal balance at this time of life as well.
Hope this helps!
health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
Here's a great website for all thing peri and menopause related: http://www.power-surge.com/php/forums/
What kind of exercise are you doing? Reason I ask is because as one ages, one loses muscle mass unless one is doing a solid weight-training routine. This one reason why, say, someone who only runs or does aerobics faithfully for years will still gain a bunch of weight and body fat, because they haven't addressed the muscle issue. Cardio is great for your heart, endurance, but does nothing to maintain or increase muscle mass in the body. The cellulite issue is also because of the fact as one ages, the skin is less elastic and thins out with age, thus making underlying fat more visible. I'd be willing to bet if you got yourself to the gym, and also changed your diet to much less sugar and refined starchy carbohydrates, you will be able to shift your body composition to a firmer one. Granted, this takes longer when you're older, but it is definitely possible. Make most of your carbs vegetable and fruit ones, and add a bit of lean protein to your meals. If you do have starchy carbs, make them unrefined, like brown rice, oatmeal, squashes and tubers(like yams and carrots). Reason for avoiding refined, and even TOO many unrefined starchy carbs at this time is because our digestion changes such that these types of carbs tend to go to increased body fat instead of being used for energy the way they are in younger women and most men. Avoid alcohol too. I know there are people out there who say a glass of wine per day is fine, but for many of us, especially those at high risk of breast cancer, it is a total no-no. Also, it really messes with hormonal balance at this time of life as well.
Hope this helps!
Originally Posted by cara4curls
That's inspirational, thanks.

I recently reintroduced oatmeal in the morning, real oatmeal, not the instant, and it keeps me fueled for a good 3-4 hours. If I can drop the sugar in my coffee, it would be a good thing.
3c
My list:
skipped period(69 days and counting since my last)
weight gain(no,I am not pregnant)
heart palpitations
fatique
dry,itchy skin
HOT at night-not sweating,though
hot flashes

let me see,have I missed any...?

eta-yeah,I missed another one-facial hair!(thank God it is uber-light!
Originally Posted by Mar
I thought I was in perimenopause (in my thirties), as I had some similar symptoms. My ob at the time wasn't helpful, nor was my family physician (one insisted I was too young for it, the other claimed everything was "in normal range.") Even though I felt minimized and dismissed by them, they did me a favor--they forced me to find answers myself.

Turns out I had several hormonal imbalances, which were derived from underlying endocrine issues (adrenal and thyroid).
Left untreated one imbalance could have proved life threatening.

Had I not done research on my own, I never would have found out why I felt so awful, I would have continued to be reliant on a system that wasn't helping me, and I wouldn't have found the doctor I'm working with now (who rocks!)

I started with the Ann Louise Gittleman book (a nutritionist), Before the Change--Taking charge of perimenopause.

I found and read articles on the powersurge website. Eventually I found books by Richard Shames MD, Thyroid Power and Feeling Fat, Fuzzy and Frazzled. Also Adrenal Fatigue by James L. Wilson N.D., D.C., Phd.

Hope this is helpful.
best,
blyss
Originally Posted by blyss_curls
Also, Suzanne Somers' book, Ageless saved my life. Breakthrough is her latest. I'm 50 and I've been on Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy for 2 years.

I lost the weight, sleep 8 hours a night and no more night sweats. I won't even go into the moods things I was going through before. I thought I was losing my mind. Ladies, perimenopause can start in our early to mid-30s. I don't take any pharmaceuticals or OTCs either so what I put into my body is very important to me.

There are doctors out there who will help. You just have to find them. A good website to search for one is www.acam.org.

You don't have to suffer through perimenopause and be sick. The Ann Louise Gittleman books are excellent as well. Her Detox books helped me get started by giving me a great (and reasonable) way to detox my body before starting on this whole journey.

Sorry this was so long. This topic has become my passion...Good luck to you.
3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
Picasa:
Link
Deva Low Poo
Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
Homemade FSG
KCCC
Curl Junkie Stuff
BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.
-wabi-sabi

"Reason for avoiding refined, and even TOO many unrefined starchy carbs at this time is because our digestion changes such that these types of carbs tend to go to increased body fat instead of being used for energy the way they are in younger women and most men."

Don't I know it!!! Thank you for the info. My exercise program meets all of the requirements. I know I need to change my diet -- need to get motivated. Usually the way I get there is to reach a certain level of disgust and then take the bull by the horns. Then when I get to where I want to be, I swear I'll never go back...
bleh-feeling like crap again....
I had gone to my dr for bad facial skin issues in Oct,got an antibiotic and cortizone cream and my skin cleared up.
whew.
When it started up again,and my allergist gave me a steroid pill(ugh-gained 5 lbs in a week)but my skin cleared up quickly.
I have been working out and feeling GREAT the past couple of weeks.
However-I finished the pills yesterday,and feel like crap all day today.I weigh about 6 lbs more than I did yesterday(I have been weighing myself at the beginiing of each month)my eyelids are "thick" itchy red and gross again and so is the skin around my mouth.
I laid back down around 8am,and fell asleep until almost 2:00-I felt like I had been drugged!
I am right back to square one-right where I was in early October.
I still haven't had a period,but I thought I ovulated about 3 weeks ago,and was expecting something that never came....
argh.
I wanna tear my hair out!
I feel so frustrated-I feel like I am falling apart!
"what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa

Last edited by Mar; 11-05-2008 at 05:18 PM.
In case you don't know about the site for all things peri and menopause related, here 'ya go. Maybe there will be some additional info. on that site that could help: http://www.power-surge.com/php/forums/ I've been in peri for over 10 years with no end in site. It's awful. I feel for you!

ETA: Sorry, I didn't realize I had posted this link already.

Last edited by Wiggilyhair; 11-24-2008 at 12:02 PM.
HTML Code:
Also, Suzanne Somers' book, Ageless saved my life. Breakthrough is her latest. I'm 50 and I've been on Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy for 2 years. 

I lost the weight, sleep 8 hours a night and no more night sweats. I won't even go into the moods things I was going through before. I thought I was losing my mind. Ladies, perimenopause can start in our early to mid-30s. I don't take any pharmaceuticals or OTCs either so what I put into my body is very important to me. 

There are doctors out there who will help. You just have to find them. A good website to search for one is www.acam.org.

You don't have to suffer through perimenopause and be sick. The Ann Louise Gittleman books are excellent as well. Her Detox books helped me get started by giving me a great (and reasonable) way to detox my body before starting on this whole journey.

Sorry this was so long. This topic has become my passion...Good luck to you.
I can relate--I'm passionate about all of this, too! Nice to find a like-minded individual.

Thank you for the rec. on Suzanne Somers--I've got to read her books, as I continually hear how great they are!

Though I'm not officially 'perimenopausal' my symptoms definitely mimicked it. You have no idea how many conventional physicians tried to tell me I was "too young" at the time. My gut told me otherwise, and I got the Anne Louise book--which probably saved my life.

Because of her book, I ordered a saliva test and discovered what was deficient. If I had listened to ob/gyns--they would have given me bcp (which in my case would have exacerbated my symptoms).

From there I was able to find holistic people (a few md's, an np, etc.) that could help. A few years, dollars and doctors later, I'm finally on the path of recovery. I'm most thankful to the alternative and integrative medicine practitioners I found--oh and compounded bio-hrt.

I'm so thankful to live in a time of "options"--choices that weren't available to female relatives before me.

Last edited by blyss_curls; 11-23-2008 at 03:14 AM.
i am having two periods a month right now with occasional spotting in - between . i want this to be over or at least start. If i am going to go into menopause then i want the peroids to stop damn it. I am 39 it would suck for it to go on for 10 more year

national anthem for self-pity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zawR7VYNdNg
I spent the past two years with symptoms ranging from digestive problems to hot flashes to "dry eye syndrome"...and irregular periods which began skipping months, 9 months in fact.
I had asked every doctor, including my OBGYN, what the root cause might be (other than stress). No one had an answer, in fact, they looked at me like I was speaking venusarian or something; even my OBGYN said not to worry about it.
I went to a talk given by a nutritionist and she said low progestrone was the key. Turns out that almost everything we come into contact with in our modern society is seen by the body as estrogen.
Anyway, I won't bore you but will suggest you find a copy of "What your Doctor may not tell you about Premenopause" written by John R. Lee, M.D. Awesome book, great info, very easy to understand.
Me? I started a program which includes a natural progestrone cream made by Life-Flo. It is a measured dosage and is applied twice daily like lotion. You can check them out at www.life-flo.com.
After 16 days of using the cream I had my first menstual cycle in a year! I've been using it for three months now and am not yet regulated but I feel better knowing I have a better understanding of my body and a natural tool to help myself.
Low progestrone causes all sorts of medical problems in both men and women; its worth educating ourselves about it, hopefully sooner than later.
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART00700/menopause-symptoms

Nutrition and Supplements - Herbs for Menopause
Try the following natural remedies and herbs for menopause:
  • Soy foods. The isoflavones in soy foods help balance hormone levels and have some estrogenic activity. There is ongoing research about the safety and efficacy of isolated soy isoflavone supplements. While the initial results look promising, we currently recommend using natural soy foods rather than supplements. Choose from tofu, soy milk, roasted soy nuts or tempeh.
  • Flaxseed. Substances called lignins in flaxseed are important modulators of hormone metabolism. Grind flaxseed daily in a coffee grinder at home and use 1 to 2 tablespoons a day.
  • Dong quai. Dong quai (Angelica sinensis) is known both in China and the West for its ability to support and maintain the natural balance of female hormones. It does not have estrogenic activity. This is one of the herbs for menopause that should not be taken if a woman is experiencing heavy bleeding.
  • Black cohosh (Cumicifuga racemosa). One of the best-studied traditional herbs herbs for menopause, black cohosh is used to help alleviate some symptoms of menopause, including hot flashes. Black cohosh seems to work by supporting and maintaining hormonal levels, which may lessen the severity of hot flashes. Many women report that the herb works well but it isn't effective for everyone. While any therapy that influences hormonal actions should be a concern, black cohosh does not appear to have estrogenic activity and thus may be safe for women with a personal or family history of breast cancer.
  • Vitamin E. A daily dose of 400 IUs of natural vitamin E (as mixed tocopherols and tocotrienols) can help alleviate symptoms of hot flashes in some menopausal women.
  • B vitamins. This group of water-soluble vitamins may help women deal with the stress of menopausal symptoms.
  • Evening primrose oil or black currant oil. These are sources of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), an essential fatty acid that can help influence prostaglandin synthesis and help moderate menopausal
--------

Mar, as I think i mentioned before, I started having hot flashes and I got right on the black cohosh, vit B and E, and fish oil, and they stopped almost overnight. I do have occasional night sweats, but it's not bad. I'm going to add evening primrose because i've been hearing good things about that.
3c

Trending Topics