Feeling very peri-menopausal right now

My list:
skipped period(69 days and counting since my last)
weight gain(no,I am not pregnant)
heart palpitations
fatique
dry,itchy skin
HOT at night-not sweating,though
hot flashes

let me see,have I missed any...?

eta-yeah,I missed another one-facial hair!(thank God it is uber-light!
"what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa
I've gone a couple months between periods in recent years, even though I was always very regular in my younger days. I also get hot at night sometimes. I'm 46...almost 47...so I assume it's peri-menopause. I get chin hairs. Weight gain...pffft...that's my life story, so I don't blame that on hormones.

I don't worry about menopause...I figure it's going to come whether I worry about it or not. If your symptoms are bothering you, though, you can see your doctor and see if they can help. At least they can run some tests and put your mind at ease about the heart palpitations.
I had a hysterectomy at age 37, but ovaries were left. I was on tamoxifen for 5 years and used to get hot flashes while on that. I'm now 46 and am warmer than I used to be and get occasional hot flashes - but not as frequent nor as extreme as when on tamoxifen. But without having periods to go by, it's hard to judge where on the perimenopause/menopause continuum I am. My gyn doesn't believe in testing for hormome levels, she just says I'll know I'm done with menopause when I stop having hot flashes. I'd rather have a date to enter into my calendar so I'd know for sure when it's all done!
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

But without having periods to go by, it's hard to judge where on the perimenopause/menopause continuum I am. My gyn doesn't believe in testing for hormome levels, she just says I'll know I'm done with menopause when I stop having hot flashes. I'd rather have a date to enter into my calendar so I'd know for sure when it's all done!
Originally Posted by 2poodles
I also had a partial hyst., so I am with you on wanting a date to enter on my calendar!! I can't tell if it has started for sure or not....some days I have symptoms but other days I don't....I know I am sick of bringing extra shirts with me to work so if I flash all morning, I can change into something dry!!!!
Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
Co-wash: TJ Nourish
Protein: CJ Repair Me
Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
My list:
skipped period(69 days and counting since my last)
weight gain(no,I am not pregnant)
heart palpitations
fatique
dry,itchy skin
HOT at night-not sweating,though
hot flashes

let me see,have I missed any...?

eta-yeah,I missed another one-facial hair!(thank God it is uber-light!
Originally Posted by Mar
I thought I was in perimenopause (in my thirties), as I had some similar symptoms. My ob at the time wasn't helpful, nor was my family physician (one insisted I was too young for it, the other claimed everything was "in normal range.") Even though I felt minimized and dismissed by them, they did me a favor--they forced me to find answers myself.

Turns out I had several hormonal imbalances, which were derived from underlying endocrine issues (adrenal and thyroid).
Left untreated one imbalance could have proved life threatening.

Had I not done research on my own, I never would have found out why I felt so awful, I would have continued to be reliant on a system that wasn't helping me, and I wouldn't have found the doctor I'm working with now (who rocks!)

I started with the Ann Louise Gittleman book (a nutritionist), Before the Change--Taking charge of perimenopause.

I found and read articles on the powersurge website. Eventually I found books by Richard Shames MD, Thyroid Power and Feeling Fat, Fuzzy and Frazzled. Also Adrenal Fatigue by James L. Wilson N.D., D.C., Phd.

Hope this is helpful.
best,
blyss

Last edited by blyss_curls; 09-19-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Thanks for the book recs, blyss! I'm off to amazon.com....
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

MarGuide
Hee-I have those books
I am more annoyed at my symptoms than really suffering.
It is an interesting journey to say the least.
The weight thing is weird.
My metabolism has definitely changed!
I weighed the same from about age 18-40,so it sucks
I have the exact same list(im 43) , but add adult cystic acne to mine. what fun this is!!!! sam
I have acne, too, though, thank goodness, it seems a little better over the past few months.

Acne and shorter cycles (27-29 days versus 30-35 days when I was younger) are my main symptoms. I've had a hot flash or two, but so far they haven't been a problem. I have occasional heart palpitations, but I could probably minimize those if I didn't consume so much caffeine.

I'll be 47 in November. I'm almost looking forward to missing a period just because I'm so tired of dealing with them. It's clear that time is marching on anyway, and continuing to have periods to continue seems like holding on to youth that is already lost.
Mar, are you exercising and taking vitamins? That's essential for me. I walk briskly and do yoga and hike occasionally. I take CoQ10, fish oil, E, and Black Cohosh and the symptoms that started stopped almost immediately after starting those vits.

I've gone almost 3 months between periods and now they're every 1-1/2 to 2 months.
3c
Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
CoWash: VO5 kiwi
Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
I was in perimenopause (with regular periods) for years and soy isoflavones helped with the flashes then (Nature's Way 100mg standardized soy isoflavones). Once I started not having periods I had to go to prescribed bioidentical hormones which have been a real saver for me. It's been one year since I am on them. My worst symptom was incredible fuzziness, forgetfulness and general confusion. It was affecting my job. I'm pretty close to menopause now (2 periods in 1 year but I think jumpstarted by hormones).
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Quote:
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
I am 47 with irregular periods and mild flashes (I call them warm flashes ). I've been taking pycnogenol for the flashes, and it really has helped.

However, my last period was about 2 months long, interspersed with a few "off days" here and there. So today I went to a compounding pharmacy and got an OTC 3% bio-identical progesterone cream. Pharmacist said it probably will help to regulate my cycle. I hope so! Flashes are one thing, but a 2-month period is a PITA.

If that doesn't help, the next step will be to see a physician who specializes in bio-identical hormone therapy. (I just don't feel comfortable about "big pharma" hormones.)
shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
Let's see...

Irregular cycles (24-25 days, alternating with the occasional 31-32-day cycle, rather than 28-like-clockwork from age 12 to about 35);

Facial hair (I have a nightly date with Tweezerman ).

And I'm 39.

But my mother was peri-menopausal at 38, so I guess I'm right on schedule *shrugs*
Name: FeedYourHead's Hair

Description: 3B/Corkicelli/Fiii/BSL/light ash brown (colored)/CG since 2008

Likes: V05 Freesia as a co-wash, AOHR, Jessicurl RR & CCSS, banana hair masks, honey
Dislikes: Hairbrushes () and harsh detergents ()
Mar, are you exercising and taking vitamins? That's essential for me. I walk briskly and do yoga and hike occasionally. I take CoQ10, fish oil, E, and Black Cohosh and the symptoms that started stopped almost immediately after starting those vits.

I've gone almost 3 months between periods and now they're every 1-1/2 to 2 months.
Originally Posted by mandyv
I have ZERO motivation to exercise right now
Last spring I started walking 2-3 miles every morning and felt fantastic.
Can I bring myself to do it now?
No.
I need to find out what kind of vitamins to take ,too,because it seems like everything I take does something weired to me(rashes,diarhea,etc)
"what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa
I am 47 with irregular periods and mild flashes (I call them warm flashes ). I've been taking pycnogenol for the flashes, and it really has helped.

However, my last period was about 2 months long, interspersed with a few "off days" here and there. So today I went to a compounding pharmacy and got an OTC 3% bio-identical progesterone cream. Pharmacist said it probably will help to regulate my cycle. I hope so! Flashes are one thing, but a 2-month period is a PITA.

If that doesn't help, the next step will be to see a physician who specializes in bio-identical hormone therapy. (I just don't feel comfortable about "big pharma" hormones.)
Originally Posted by alacurl
I can relate to the discomfort w/big pharma. I am too.

Very sorry to hear of your two month cycle. That would suck, big time.

Have you considered having your hormones tested with saliva testing? It's offered through most compounding pharmacies and depending on your state of residence, usually without a doctor's prescription. You can take the test at home, mail it in and get the results mailed and/or e-mailed directly to you (or your pharmacist).

I only ask as it may be helpful for you to have a clear idea of where you are in terms of your cycle (perimenopause, menopause, etc.) and what hormones you are actually deficient in before you start bio-hrt treatment with an experienced physician. You never know, a hormone may be in excess.

Saliva hormone testing helped me so much, so I'm rather enthusiastic about encouraging others to take them--so please excuse me for that.
Have you considered having your hormones tested with saliva testing? It's offered through most compounding pharmacies and depending on your state of residence, usually without a doctor's prescription. You can take the test at home, mail it in and get the results mailed and/or e-mailed directly to you (or your pharmacist).
Originally Posted by blyss_curls
Thanks for the tip! I had assumed (maybe incorrectly ) that an M.D. would check my levels before prescribing bio-identical hormones. I don't think I would feel comfortable otherwise.
shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
Mar, can you set up a treadmill in front of your tv? Or walk a mile every day? If you can't find the motivation, think of how you'll want to be feeling in 10 or 20 years, and get started now.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART00700/menopause-symptoms

"The other part of the equation is exercise. Ample evidence suggests that regular exercise prevents menopause weight gain. And at this time of life exercise is particularly important for a number of other reasons: weight bearing exercise such as walking can keep your bones and heart strong and also lower your risk of breast cancer. Regular physical activity may also help reduce hot flashes, counter depression, sharpen your thinking, and promote good sleep."

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA40027...ight-gain.html
3c
Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
CoWash: VO5 kiwi
Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
Originally Posted by blyss_curls
Thanks for the tip! I had assumed (maybe incorrectly ) that an M.D. would check my levels before prescribing bio-identical hormones. I don't think I would feel comfortable otherwise.
Originally Posted by alacurl
Hi Alacurl,
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that a physician wouldn't check your levels. They would. They just may not utilize saliva testing (which is my personal preference).

In my case (and some others I've read about on the power surge website) imbalances didn't show up with serum (blood) testing. Saliva testing validated their symptoms and (mine), helping to diagnose exactly why they were so miserable--after they'd been dismissed by doctors when their blood work came back as "in range."

Everyone is so different, and you may be one of the one's whose imbalances are shown w/standard blood tests.

Saliva testing still isn't considered "mainstream." For some of the doctors that offer bio-hrt it is more standard (but not all).

I have the tendency to encourage every woman going through this period in their life (perimenopausal to menopause) to take the reigns, so to speak. Because I've heard far too many horror stories of women being mistreated or not taken seriously---or worse, offered Premarin.... ). But I shouldn't assume negative treatment will be everyone's experience.

Best to you,
blyss

Last edited by blyss_curls; 09-24-2008 at 06:49 PM.

Originally Posted by mandyv
I have ZERO motivation to exercise right now
Last spring I started walking 2-3 miles every morning and felt fantastic.
Can I bring myself to do it now?
No.
I need to find out what kind of vitamins to take ,too,because it seems like everything I take does something weired to me(rashes,diarhea,etc)
Originally Posted by Mar
Having reactions like this is cause for concern.

Feeling too tired to move is a very common complaint with endocrine disorders (thyroid, adrenals, etc.).

Have you had any of these checked? Or your hormones?

If not, you may want to (if you'd like to get a handle on what's going on). You sound really uncomfortable. A lack of motivation can stem from something legitimate that's lacking in your system...

Here's a few places to read (if you're interested).

http://www.shareguide.com/frazzled.html

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

http://www.power-surge.com/

http://www.womentowomen.com/hypothyr.../symptoms.aspx

Hope you get your symptoms checked out, asap--and get on the way to feeling better soon! (((Mar)))
Guide18
I had a hysterectomy at age 37, but ovaries were left. I was on tamoxifen for 5 years and used to get hot flashes while on that. I'm now 46 and am warmer than I used to be and get occasional hot flashes - but not as frequent nor as extreme as when on tamoxifen. But without having periods to go by, it's hard to judge where on the perimenopause/menopause continuum I am. My gyn doesn't believe in testing for hormome levels, she just says I'll know I'm done with menopause when I stop having hot flashes. I'd rather have a date to enter into my calendar so I'd know for sure when it's all done!
Originally Posted by 2poodles
I don't know where your gyn gets the idea that when you're done with menopause you will stop having hot flashes. For me it was 10 years before the hot flashes stopped.

Trending Topics