Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Over 40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 09:22 AM   #1

Default conditioner recs for CO washing?

I'm asking this here in the 40+ forum because I've noticed a change in my hair texture since letting so much of my gray grow in. My hair feels thicker and healthier, but seems to need more moisture than when it was chemically colored with permanent color.

What is the most moisturizing cone-free paraben-free conditioner you've loved for CO-washing (not deep treatment, not leave-in, etc. -- I have those that I like already)

Thanks for helping with recs!
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, coconut oil overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Terax Crema, Moroccan Oil Restorative Mask, Je Veux Revitalizing Mud Mask, Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix
Spiralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #2

Funny, I'm noticing the same thing as I grow out my gray. My formerly fine, colored hair that textured and clumped fairly easily -- the gray part is grizzly and coarser, not as curly, more dry, and wants to separate and frizz.

Probably the co-wash you are using is fine, but you may want to raise the moisture/emollient bar a bit on your leave-in, either by adding something like one of the following:

- Karen's Body Beautiful Hair nector
- Jane Carter nourish & shine (great on wet ends over condish)
- a little (pea-sized) shea butter softened with a few drops of oil
- Qhemet Burdock Root Butter cream

Also I cleansed my hair last week with a clay treatment (rhassoul clay, water, ACV, honey) followed with KBB hair milk and Knot Today under KCCC, and my grays were noticeably silkier and clumpier when dry.

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Quote:
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
Suburbanbushbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:49 AM   #3

I'm highlighted, but have a lot of gray in the mix. I'm going to take this from a different point of view. I never found a rinse out conditioner that was moisturizing enough until I started to use the KBB milk as my rinse out. I use at least one (milk rinse out) of her products and up to four a day (nectar leave in, butter/cream to scrunch.) I fell into soap/shampoo bars by accident after not pooing for six months. The ones I use are very gentle and remove the excess CG product build up. They "freshen" my hair without drying it--like even lowpoo can do. I am very careful about the bars. I don't use any with castor or avocado oil. While I banned shea butter (in soap) I'm reconsidering that. The problem I had may have been the other two oils.

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:51 AM   #4

OK, 2 nods in 2 replies for KBB stuff -- is there a link/site that sells it -- I don't see it offered in CurlMart. I am going to have to check out these recs!
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Terax Crema, Moroccan Oil Restorative Mask, Je Veux Revitalizing Mud Mask, Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix
Old 10-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by curls2grow View Post
OK, 2 nods in 2 replies for KBB stuff -- is there a link/site that sells it -- I don't see it offered in CurlMart. I am going to have to check out these recs!
There are currently several threads going on about it. Here's the major one:

Karen's Body Beautiful

The website is listed.

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:55 PM   #6

Thanks for the link to that thread. Got a lotta reading to catch up on.
Trending Topics[-]hide