Calcium Supplements?

Can anyone recommend a good one? I've heard you have to be careful what you choose, because sometimes they don't absorb into your system.
Minneapolis, MN
I use Peter Gillham's Natural Vitality CalMag. It's powdered, and comes original, raspberry, or lemon flavored.
Heat 8 oz of water, stir in a spoonful, add some cool water, and drink it like a tea. I've gotten used to the taste, but in the beginning I added a little bit of lemon juice.
I drink it just before bed so my body has calcium and magnesium to produce hgh and help me sleep. I sleep like a rock when I take it, except around 3-6am I need to go to the bathroom. But, I go to sleep quickly after the bathroom break.
I've tried a lot of calcium supplements, going back to 5 years old when my parents started us on supplements. I really like this one because it's easily absorbed and utilized by my body, and it's easy to take.
This line of calcium and magnesium products has several different calcium:magnesium ratios, too. They (I don't know who they is) used to say the ratio should be 2:1, now they're saying it should be 1:2. I've found my body works best around 1:1 but can't find a product I like with that ratio. So I stick with this one.

If you'd rather take it in pill form, I've heard Country Life's Nerve and Osteo absorbs well.
Make sure you take vitamins A, C, E, and a multi-B to assist with absorption. Taking it on an empty stomach, say an hour before you eat (or bedtime) and with orange juice is better, too. The stomach needs to be more acidic, so taking calcium with a meal or milk, or using Tums, will reduce absorption.
There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.

Last edited by cynaminbear; 10-28-2008 at 12:41 PM.
I've been wondering about some things dealing with Calcium, other than citrate versus carbonate, amount of Calcium needed with Magnesium, & that taking Vitamin C with such helps.

After starting the supplements, I read constipation is the norm. I have been that. But maybe it's from other reasons too.

And nobody warned me about the absorption problem either until after starting them. I'm on Nexium. Does that mean mine is not being absorbed at all?!
If you do take calcium supplements, be sure to take some magnesium as well. I had a serious issue with constipation taking the calcium without the mag. UGH.

Trust me. Don't do it.
I almost threw my ovaries at him. - Trenell

So that's what the Magnesium's for! I wondered why my GYN doc insisted I buy a combined supplement.
Magnesium is needed to help the body utilize calcium, and as well as a muscle relaxant. If you ingest it, and take too much, the laxative effect is, um, messy. You can buy magnesium oil and apply it to muscle cramps and watch the knot 'dissolve.'
There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
I am trying that, which will help hubby & me with our sore back & neck problems. Thanks for the tip!

ETA: I just looked at my bottle. It's only Calcium Carb with D. I thought it contained Mag. My multi does, but only 10%. No wonder I've been hurting for weeks.

Last edited by lazy loops; 10-28-2008 at 03:42 PM.
I take a liquid supplement (with mag), since the tablets are so darned large. I just mix it in with my oj (calcium-fortified!) in the morning.
I ended up getting a Calcium-Magnesium with Zinc and Vitamin D from the Co-op.

Thank you for all the suggestions!
Minneapolis, MN
I take once-a-day with calcium per my doctor's instructions, because she's worried that I don't get enough calcium (to be truthful, I don't- I don't particularly like milk, cheese, and yogurt, and I don't eat a lot of calcium-rich vegetables either.) Hope it helps even though I'm younger.
Mod CG as of 10/18/08
Using: Suave Naturals, L'oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss, LA Looks Sports Gel.
"We’ll not live like this. They will try to bury us with false manifestos, inscribe us in wars against false enemies but we’ll sing songs about dying from loving the wrong cowboy and gospel; our bodies will burn in effigies of promise. I swear."

-Ibi Kaslik
My gynecologist recommended 1500 of calcium with magnesium and Vitamin D. The D is because sunscreen has really cut down the amount of D we get these days. It's gotten to be a problem. Don't know if the 1500 of calcium is a lot -- I have osteopenia so might be taking more than usually necessary.
My gynecologist recommended 1500 of calcium with magnesium and Vitamin D. The D is because sunscreen has really cut down the amount of D we get these days. It's gotten to be a problem. Don't know if the 1500 of calcium is a lot -- I have osteopenia so might be taking more than usually necessary.
Originally Posted by curlyzan
Children and pregnant women should take 1500 mg of calcium, all others only need 1000 mg. My mom was diagnosed with osteoporosis last week and was told to take 1500 mg, like you were. Calcium isn't readily absorbed by the body so I understand why a higher dose would be recommended. If it isn't absorbed the body elimiates it so a higher dose increases the odds of more being absorbed before elimination.
OK, this pisses me off.

My GYN in June told me to get Calcium Carbonate & Vitamin D with Magnesium. But I forget what mg & IUs she told me to look for.

I see a different provider today who said I need to take Calcium Citrate 1200 to 1500 mg a day & that Carbonate doesn't absorb well. She also said to look for Vitamin D3 (Chole---) 800 to 1000 IUs a day & 500 mg of Magnesium Citrate.

Not too long ago I bought Magnesium (Oxide & Stearate) 250 mg to go with the Calcium with D I had been taking, which is 600 mg Calcium Carbonate & 400 IU Vitamin D Cholecalciferol (D3).

And in case I couldn't find Magnesium, I bought Caltrate 600+D Plus Minerals (twice daily), which I was took previously. It's Vitamin D(3) 400 IU, Calcium Carbonate 600 mg, Magnesium (Oxide) 50 mg, Zinc (Oxide) 7.5 mg, Copper 1 mg, Manganese (Sulfate) 1.8 mg, & Boron 250 mcg.

Who in the heck is right, who is wrong?!
I've always just taken caltrate since it comes with a good reputation.

I recently read that taking more than 500 mg per dose is counterproductive, since the body won't absorb more than 500 mg max at a time and any extra amount just inhibits absorbtion.
formerly Castella
(my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
I know I have always heard you should take extra Vitamin D with your calcium. The last time I was at the Cancer Center for a checkup the dr said they had discovered D3 was good for preventing cancer. Now I take a D3 every day. Figure it is working dual purpose for me. . . with the calcium and as a cancer preventative.
3b/c
Can anyone recommend a good one? I've heard you have to be careful what you choose, because sometimes they don't absorb into your system.
Originally Posted by Poodlehead
I use Ionic Fizz Calcium Plus (mag). It's a powder you mix in water and fizzes. It was recommended by my nutritionist and can be found online or at health food stores. Look it up, it gets rave reviews.
CG since 2002
True 3b, but looser curls since moving to drier climate. BSL thick, medium-course hair with some 2C/3a on canopy.

-co-wash w/Devacurl No-Poo
-condition w/KCKT or AOHR
-i never use a leave in
-style with a drop of Pink Boots, followed by a modest amount of KCCC, topped with a small dollop of Devacurl Angell
-plop and diffuse
The last time I was at the Cancer Center for a checkup the dr said they had discovered D3 was good for preventing cancer.
Originally Posted by munchkin
I should have said "preventing breast cancer."
3b/c
I've always just taken caltrate since it comes with a good reputation.
Originally Posted by Castella
I know & that's why I bought it & I think it was rec'd too.

I recently read that taking more than 500 mg per dose is counterproductive, since the body won't absorb more than 500 mg max at a time and any extra amount just inhibits absorbtion.
Originally Posted by Castella
The second (most recent) person said to take it twice a day to come out to the 1200 to 1500 for the total daily amount. Sorry I didn't clarify.

Trending Topics