Welcome to My World!

As far as stubborn grays go....Matrix Socolor seems to be a great product for my 3a/b mix, mostly gray in the worst place - the front! With previous color brands, the colorists would have to pre-treat my hairline with some noxious chemical to soften it. The Matrix has made this unnecessary......

Another anti-gray weapon? Clairol's Nice n Easy Root Kit. I love wearing headbands, so I used this as soon as a gray would pop out around my hairline. My previous color, a medium red-brown, fit their 6R perfectly. Now I've gone lighter and don't know what to do. But believe me, if I, who never so much as put Sun-In in her hair as a teenager, could handle this kit, a monkey could!

As for hormones, oy. The biggest difference for me has been a gradual softening and loosening of my curl due to thyroid hormones. I was dx'd with Hashimoto's at 19 and have been on thyroid replacement ever since. Now I see what my hair was really meant to be like all along - a combo of my very curly mom and wavy dad!, not just a mass of frizz that I spent half my girlhood straightening Knowing I could've been spared a frizzed-out adolescence is a bummer, but having softer hair is one benefit of thyroid treatment.

I'm new to HRT, only 4 months post hyst (and wishing I had done it a LOT sooner....age 12 maybe?) so I'm not certain I'm on the right dose/type yet. So far my hair is the same, maybe a bit more dry. Since I've had it highlighted and lightened, that could be to blame. But - if you do find that your hair has lost body and volume, lightening it roughs up the cuticle, thereby giving you some more ooomph. The dryness is a tradeoff, but we know how to deal with that here, right?

Hang in there!

BR
3a/b Botticelli curls, colored with Matrix Socolor (7R or RB? Plus highlights). Hair is more porous from coloring; canopy is quite dry.
We could get shampoo and conditioner for dry, greasy or normal hair and that was it. I used to raid the pantry and cleaning cupboard for anything I thought might make a difference to my hair - nothing worked. I honestly think my lifelong inability to accept my hair (still struggling) and selfconsciousness stems from school days and all the teasing I got due to the bush that was my "crowning glory". Thank God my mum never made me get my hair cut short, despite the Sunday night tears with the comb! Even in the 70's when shaggy perms were in (this was in England), my hair never looked right. I think differences are a lot more accepted these days than they were back then.
gekko, sorry for your nightmare hairdo (altho the image made me giggle a little bit). My mom's solution to dealing with my hair was a very short boy-cut in 4th grade. I cried my eyes out.
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
I was looking through my senior yearbook for pics of me, I found this band picture (yes, on top of it all, I was a band geek) and I was looking and looking for me in the picture. I finally realized that the dorky boy in the front row was actually me.

I have to laugh though, I couldn't have looked to bad, I dated all through HS.
Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
Speaking of moms (I love her dearly), my mom would cut my bangs, never taking into account the shrinkage factor. I would cry afterwards when they shrunk to about an inch and a half. In fact, I have fought with bangs off and on all my life (no more). Benthudd, I remember the pink tape too.
Maudie
My mom's solution to dealing with my hair was a very short boy-cut in 4th grade. I cried my eyes out.
Ooooo, your mom must have known my mom. I too was a victim of the infamous "pixie-cut" around the same age. Very traumatic, cried for days over that one.

And, yes, I remember the days before conditioner. It was basically Breck or Prell in our household. Then they invented "Long N Silky". Anyone remember that? It was a blue pearly-looking stuff as I recall....
The only hair-related thing I miss from my younger days is the original Herbal Essence shampoo. I can still smell it all these years later. If I could find that scent again I would bathe in it.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
The only hair-related thing I miss from my younger days is the original Herbal Essence shampoo. I can still smell it all these years later. If I could find that scent again I would bathe in it.
I think Herbal Essence was universally loved by everyone! That smell was to die for. I still wonder why it was discontinued as it was so popular. Of course, it was probably full of detergents and other bad stuff!
I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.
my biggest concern as I get older is that my hair will revert to it's pre-*****cent stage....less curl,and the curl that I AM left with will be wiry and coarse....
"what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa
I am 43 and I remember a commercial for Johnson's Baby Shampoo, that had a little girl with wispy blond hair running around. I washed my reddish brown hair with my little brother's baby shampoo, combed it and dried it, and ran around (jumping unseen on the furniture no less) but my hair was too heavy and thick to fly out behind me. I asked my mother if I could get it thinned. She said it would just grow back. I so wanted wispy blond hair!
2B wavy thick hair
Fia=2a M iii
modified CG since 1/12/06
Oh, those well meaning Moms! My mother was a hair dresser no less! And she insisted on two VERY sudsy soapings at every wash. Talk about dry hair!!! Was she horrified 2 years ago when I told her I no longer used shampoo at all! She used to put balsam in my hair which was a little help (Loved the smell!!). And VO5 which was a horror. My hair HATES added oil in any product. When I screamed as a child at having my hair combed, her solution was to cut it an inch long all over. I wore my hair shaped like a ball LONG before Afros came into fashion, and I was a little Jewish girl! My hair was never allowed to grow long and I swear that's why I'm STILL trying to grow it long now in my late 50's!

Then came the high school years. And Mom and I fought weekly over my hair. (Actually we still do. I just came home from visiting her and she complained repeatedly about this awful cut I am currently battling). She used to set my hair in rollers and comb it for me. It was always frizzy sausage curlish. Ugly. It wasn't until early senior year when we had a major fight and I managed to wrest the care of my hair away from her that I discovered all the 'tricks' you guys were using to control your curls. Not that my hair cooperated, but I did better than her!!!!
3Cfiii at the extreme. Corkscrews and ramen noodles, highlights, short bouncy curls in front, in back hangs to bra strap when wet, shoulder length when dry
This is all bringing back memories. I remember my mother washing my hair with Prell shampoo when I was little...two sudsings. Why, when I have always had dry hair, even as a teenager? Then Tame creme rinse, one capful to four capfuls of water. The stuff was watery to begin with; it was like pouring skim milk on my hair. So no, I didn't have curls either, I just had this huge fuzzy head with some bumpy ridges here and there. I also remember the big rollers, the pink tape, and the Dippity-do, the short haircuts.

The sixties and seventies were not good to me, but ah, the eighties! I had a mullet type cut, with a very short layer on top, but that layer curled well, and then the underlayers of my hair could curl better with the weight of the top layer off of them. Much as the mullet is maligned, it worked for my hair. I got many compliments on my curls, and kept the style for many years. I went into a salon once and a girl there, who had the very thick, shiny, straight hair that I'd always wanted as a kid, pointed to me and told her hairdresser, "Can you make my hair look like that?"

I grew out the top layer in the nineties, finally. It just looked out of style, like those old ladies who still wear beehives. Post-mullet, I straightened and then read "Curly Girl." I had some long layers, and now 'carve 'n slice,' which seems to be working (along with leave-in and gel.) I'm thinking of going short again.
My dad made my mom take me to get my BSL hair cut when I was about 8 or 9 years old because he said I looked like a crazed person, and that if I couldn't keep it under control then I should have it cut. It was not good. Highschool saw me with my hair wrapped around my head like a turban every night before bed, then wrapped in the opposite direction in the morning to try to even out the 'straightness.' Then I would repeat the routine all in the opposite direction at bedtime again!

It wasn't till just after the disco era began to end and the big hair 80's kicked in that I really let my hair 'down' and started to wear my hair curlier. I've been curly pretty much ever since, except when I had the children and ended up chopping my hair a la Twiggy from all the hair loss - that hormonal change was a killer! My poor hair has never fully recovered from it!

BTW, according to my stylist, grey hair tends to be coarser and wirier. Coloring can sometimes soften it.
Hair 3a/3b.

Trending Topics