Welcome to My World!

CurlySuzGuide
So glad Gretchen started this forum.

The texture of my hair has changed a great deal since I was younger. I don't know if it's the grey hairs coming in or age itself.

Since I'm on HRT (a topic for another thread), I'm not sure if changing hormones might play a part in this.

All I know is -- those darn greys are hard to cover.

Come join us!
Oh my goodness, I have so much I want to whine...I mean talk about! But it will have to wait til my boss isn't looking over my shoulder. It will ruin his image of my eternal youth if he see me talking about chin hair, flab, sags, grey hair, etc.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
I turn 40 next week, so this forum is so timely for me! I've noticed some differences lately, but not in my hair yet. Of course, I've been going gray since my twenties, and covering all the way, so that's not news to me Looking forward to some Fab-Forty dialogue!
Used to be: YesICan...work with this hair. Spring is here, so I'm curly again...what a relief!
40? 40? I had my last baby at 40, way back in my "try to look like you have straight hair days". I can vaguely remember 40.
Maudie
CurlySuzGuide
I can identify with the "straight hair" days -- more like straight hair YEARS! All of the 1960's and 70's. No one knew I had curly hair until I was 35 in 1987.
I quit straightening around 1980, I think. Oh, the 80s were good to fuzzy-headed me.
Yeah, the 80s were all about big hair. I was so happy then.... *sigh*
No one knew I had curly hair until I was 35 in 1987.
I didn't know I had curly hair until I was 38 (good haircut brought out the curls). I just thought my hair was frizzy, bumpy and hard to deal with. I tried everything in the 60's and 70's to make it straight, but it always had bumps in it.

I had a reunion with 3 college friends last summer and all of them said "We didn't know you had curly hair".

One of them had a lot of pics of our days in the dorm and in at least half of them I had my hair in those HUGE rollers that were supposed to take out the bumps (which I later found out were curls)! (My hair was waist length and all one length at the time).
I tried everything in the 60's and 70's to make it straight, but it always had bumps in it.
Originally Posted by sdcurly
Funny, you called it "bumps", I called it "lumps". And I had no idea that my hair would actually curl until I found this board a couple of years ago. Thank heavens for NC.com!
I know exactly what kind of hair you guys mean when you say "bumps". I once asked a coworker with hair like that if she ever let her curls come out and she looked at me as if I was crazy. "I don't have curly hair," she answered. I didn't pursue it, but does she ever have hidden curls!!

As for me, there was never any doubt! My hair will form a curl at a half inch long, a complete ringlet at an inch!
3Cfiii at the extreme. Corkscrews and ramen noodles, highlights, short bouncy curls in front, in back hangs to bra strap when wet, shoulder length when dry
As for me, there was never any doubt!
When I told my mother that I realized I had curly hair at 38, she said I should have asked her because she always knew I had curly hair (she's a straighty, dad was curly). I honestly don't think I would have believed her until that fateful haircut though.

I sure wish we would have had products and the internet when I was in my younger. Curly hair was a curse when I was young nobody wanted it or knew what to do with it!
Who remembers when conditioner didn't exist yet, and after washing your hair, it would be dry and fly-away for days?
Suzen - yes, we had "creme rinse" instead.

There was NOTHING for curly heads when we were young (those of us over 45 anyway).
CurlySuzGuide
I remember creme rinse, and it was pink! Conditioner did make an appearance at some point. I remember using VO5 as a conditioner.
I remember *before* creme rinse, even. ("Tame.") We shampooed with Halo and our hair was unspeakably horrible.
Before school, I used to plaster my bangs down with Dippity Do and pink tape. And pray for low humidity. I hated going out at night or in the morning because of the humidity. Hmmmm... now that I think about it, Dippity Do was kind of a precursor to Biosilk Rock Hard Gel!
Cindy
I remember when my mom use to put dippity do in my hair yuck!! It didn't work either. I started using rollers in my early teens until I lived in San Diego. Since there was no winter I could go out with wet hair and not worry about getting sick. That was 1988 and I have been curly ever since.

I also started coloring my hair when I was 25 and actually the texture of my hair is much better with coloring. Go figure!
My Mom's solution was to cut my hair all short except on top and then perm the top. Can I just tell you, high school was hell.
Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
I can identify with the "straight hair" days -- more like straight hair YEARS! All of the 1960's and 70's. No one knew I had curly hair until I was 35 in 1987.
Originally Posted by CurlySuzGuide
I don't think I knew myself till about then! What we had to do to get our hair straight. I even slept on rollers the size of beer cans.

I remember that pink tape. I tried every kind of tape possible on my bangs... and they still went the direction they wanted to on their own!
3b/c
gekko, sorry for your nightmare hairdo (altho the image made me giggle a little bit). My mom's solution to dealing with my hair was a very short boy-cut in 4th grade. I cried my eyes out.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd

Trending Topics