Products for Wayward grey hair

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By miss_boleyn

Hi everyone,

Lately I have been seeing greys sticking out every which way, from my scalp. Which products do you use to keep them in line. I'm about 30% grey BTW.

Remember Rosa
Type: 3/4
CurlySuzGuide
I dye mine professionally. I used to do it myself, but it got too tedious to do.
I use henna to cover them but they still stick out. They don't curl up like the rest of my hair.

Remember Rosa
I have mine colored professionally too. I used to do it at home, but when the gray completely took over, we (my husband did it for me) couldn't get it to cover completely. Now every 4 weeks I go to the salon and get the roots touched up. Every few appointments she pulls it all through to make the color more even.
3b/c
Have you tried the color deposititng conditioners? Many folks here have success with the Aveda and Artec brands. I don't know if they are cg but I'm thinking of getting some to cover my ever-growing grey skunk stripe for a wedding this summer. I don't want anything permanentt and this sounds like it might do the trick.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
I have mine colored professionally too. I used to do it at home, but when the gray completely took over, we (my husband did it for me) couldn't get it to cover completely. Now every 4 weeks I go to the salon and get the roots touched up. Every few appointments she pulls it all through to make the color more even.
Originally Posted by munchkin
This is me too. I'm lucky that my greys don't seem particularly wayward and seem to be the same texture as the rest of my hair. Mind you I'm unlucky in that the greys I have are all on the top of my head - I have none at the sides/back/underneath. Typical!
Jeep, you mentioned these brands to me when I was asking you about the skunk stripe/wedding dilemma as well. Interestingly enough, my sil gave us a bottle of the Aveda shampoo and a bottle of the conditioner, both in Clove. My dd mentioned the other day that she didn't want it because it stained her hands. So, this a.m. I tried it. I didn't leave it on for a real long time, so it may not take.
Maudie
Aveda Shampoo-Clove:

Ingredients: (from retailer or packaging) Aqueous Extracts: Clove Extract (Eugenia Caryophyllus, Organically Grown), Wild Cherry Bark Extract (Prunus Serotina, Organically Grown), Aloe Barbadensis Extract (Organically Grown), Sweet Almond Extract (Prunus Dulcis, Organically Grown), Coffee Extract (Coffea Arabica, Organically Grown), Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate (Coconut), Lauramide DEA (Coconut), Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine (Coconut), Glycerin (Coconut), Wheat Amino Acids, Panthenol, Tocopherol, Fragrance (Parfum), Polysorbate 80 (Corn), Isostearamidopropyl Morpholine Lactate, Polyquaternium-10 (Cellulose), PPG-5-Ceteth-10-Phosphate (Coconut), Dimethicone Copolyol, Polysorbate 20, Cocamidopropyl Betaine (Coconut), Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate (Coconut), Lactic Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Diazolidinyl Urea, Annato (CI 75120), Caramel

Aveda Color Enhancing Conditioner-Clove:

Ingredients: (from retailer or packaging) Aqueous (Water, Purified) Extracts: Clove Extract (Organically Grown), Coffee Extract (Organically Grown), Sweet Almond Extract (Organically Grown), Wild Cherry Bark Extract (Organically Grown), Aloe Barbadensis Extract (Organically Grown), Dipalmitoylethyl Hydroxyethylmonium Methosulfate (Palm), Stearyl Alcohol, Dimethicone Copolyol (Silica), Glycerin (Coconut), Behenamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate (Rapeseed), Distearyldimonium Chloride (Coconut), Babassu Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Tocopheryl Acetate, Oryzanol (Rice Bran), Steardimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Glyceryl Stearate (Coconut), Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride (Guar Beans), Dicapryl Ether (Coconut), Cetyl Alcohol (Coconut), Cetrimonium Chloride (Mixed Plant), Cyclomethicone (Rapeseed), Cetyl Hydroxyethylcellulose (Cellulose), Sodium Citrate (Molasses), Citric Acid (Molasses), Fragrance, Diazolidinyl Urea, Annatto (Colorant), Caramel, Basic Brown 17 (Colorant), Basic Yellow 57 (Colorant), Basic Blue 99 (Colorant), Basic Red 76 (Colorant)
Maudie
Ok, it faintly colored my silver and left it sort of a lightish brownish gray. Needless to say, it's not shiny and silvery like it was and I miss it already. I think if I left it on longer it would have turned out darker (obviously).
Maudie
Canocurls Now that I read thru this again, I'm not sure if you were looking for something to color the greys or just make them behave like the rest of your hair. If I have hairs sitcking out I just add more gel, but most of the time if my hair wants to stick out there is no changing its' mind!

maudie Thanks for the ingredients. There's some cones and such, but I think if I try it and it works and I just use it once in awhile I can live with it. Lots of organic ingredients which I like. I picked up a bottle of the color depositing conditioner that they have at Sally's. It says it's for everyday use so I'm thinking it probably won't add as much color at the Aveda. But it was cheap and worthy of an experiment. I've been feeling in need of a henna fix lately but I'm not giving in!
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
My grays are wiry little suckers-reminds me of my curly beginnings, when puberty turned my hair coarse and wiry.
I use Natural Instincts to try to blend,because I really don't want to DYE my hair,but it only lasts like a week....and I don't even shampoo!
wah...no fair!
"what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa
That's it! They're wiry and bright white! The henna covers them well but they just won't behave. They're not as curly as the rest of my hair.

I wonder what's going to happen when I go totally grey.

Hopefully they will lay down more as they get longer.

Remember Rosa
this thread gave me hope that i wasn't alone, but I'm struggling. Natural instincts has always been a good choice for me; but as I've gotten more gray, it won't cover them unless I use a medium/dark brown - but I end up with black hair. It's not a good look.
Consulted a beautician and she said she'd have to bleach my hair then re-color.
I'd rather not have the damage, thank you.
So - was wondering if anyone has tried coffee?
Gwamie likes this.
I just don't put on my glasses when I'm looking at my hair in the mirror - that seems to do the trick. heh.

Actually I can see them with my glasses off, too. I have them too. They stick straight up, like ghostly worms on top of my head. When they get longer they behave just as badly. Have you ever pulled one out? When I look at mine individually, it's clear they have a very random crazy kink pattern. Like, straight, then almost crimped, twisting around, sometimes curling nicely, then doubling back. Mine are often flat in shape, like a linguini noodle.

Honestly, though, over 40's - don't you find you spend much less time looking in the mirror these days?!
I just don't put on my glasses when I'm looking at my hair in the mirror - that seems to do the trick. heh.

Actually I can see them with my glasses off, too. I have them too. They stick straight up, like ghostly worms on top of my head. When they get longer they behave just as badly. Have you ever pulled one out? When I look at mine individually, it's clear they have a very random crazy kink pattern. Like, straight, then almost crimped, twisting around, sometimes curling nicely, then doubling back. Mine are often flat in shape, like a linguini noodle.

Honestly, though, over 40's - don't you find you spend much less time looking in the mirror these days?!
Originally Posted by emgirl
Yup - I think that's the secret to serenity!!!
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Pulling them out has been my solution for quite some time now! Recently though I stumbled across something that has almost eliminated those little rascals -- KCKT! I've used it off and on for the last couple of years, and pulled it out of the back of the cabinet a couple of weeks ago because I'd been having a massive frizz problem and remembered how calming KCKT is for my hair. Well, it not only solved my frizz problem, but after I'd been using it for about a week I realized that I hadn't had any of those crazy/wiry white hairs sticking up. Makes perfect sense if you read rcc's thread over on the General board about demulcents. So, if KCKT isn't one of your favorites, you can always try something else containing demulcents.
Curl Junkie Smoothing Gellie has helped with my new wayward white hairs..

KCKT works well to keep my new addition white hairs in line..

What I did discover over the years wit natural color change: When I first started going white thos little rebellious hairs would stick right up as to wave and say hello here I am... As time went on I noticed the whits hair would settle in with the rest of my curls..
It may be a transitioning thing with going white / silver / grey.... Time will tell.
Until then see what helps
3b /3c
HG Summer List
Boots Pink is the bomb on my summer hair.
Donna Marie MiraCurls
Poos: KCCClean, JCChealting
Leave In: KCKT, KomazaCalifia
Conditioners:AOHR
Styling: KCCC, BRHG, UFCM, MC
Deep Tx's: CJCR and LustraSIlk
Your mind is like a parachute, It only functions when its open.....
Reality, What a concept.~G. Carlin
bump. this is a great topic!

+1 with the smoothing gellie.
also,
spiral solutions deeply decadent moisturinge treatment
devacurl set up and above
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
Yes, this is my problem as well!

I don't mind the silvery color at all, I think it's pretty. What I do mind is the strange "curl" pattern, which isn't a curl or a kink of any kind of predictable nature.

This describes them perfectly:

Have you ever pulled one out? When I look at mine individually, it's clear they have a very random crazy kink pattern. Like, straight, then almost crimped, twisting around, sometimes curling nicely, then doubling back. Mine are often flat in shape, like a linguini noodle.
But I'll try the KCKT trick, thanks!

Trending Topics