Grey hair and highlights

Now that I have a few more grey hairs on the top of my head, enough to want to cover, do I have to give up on highlights?
3c
Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
CoWash: VO5 kiwi
Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
Mine would be completely white if I didn't color it. I don't year round, but in the spring and summer I always have my hairdresser highlight it. So, yes, both can be done.
3b/c
curlie3
Hi...My daughter (hairdresser) does gentle highlights, lowlights and colors the regrowth for me...and it all looks very natural and stays healthy because of conditioning and how she colors. I have lots and lots of silver/grey...good luck
Thanks for the replies. Do you have the highlights until it's time to color the greys and then you color it all?

I guess I'm not diligent enough to go in every 2-3 months for the color and highlighting.
3c
I can't help you with that question because I have to go in every 4 weeks to get my roots done. Sometimes she pulls the color through, including highlights, sometimes she doesn't.
3b/c
munchkin, if you don't mind me asking, how much does it cost you every 4 weeks?
3c
It costs $42-45 every 4 weeks (maybe a little higher when I get the highlights) plus I tip $5. This seems to be about the norm in a small town. I'm sure city prices are much higher.
3b/c
I wish I could afford the upkeep of the highlights. I have gray at the roots and the hairline and I color the roots about every 4 to 6 weeks. I do this at home so it's pretty inexpensive. I'd love to have auburn highlights. Maybe, I'll make the plunge and if it gets too expensive I can always go back to coloring the roots. It's nice to know I have an option.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
I do gray covering of the roots and highlights at Devachan. It would be pretty expensive if I didn't use a washer who is training so I am considered a hair model. She doesn't highlight everytime and it doesn't need to be. The highlights last a long time. Devachan highlights are very high,like $150 or so and the gray coverage is $85. I used to do it at home but it looks better from the salon. Wish it were cheaper so that I didn'thave to be a model. I can't just make an appt,it has to be when they have a modeling day.
Hair type, thin, 3b, past my shoulders always looking for length. Use jessicurl hair cleansing cream, devacurl one c, angel, set it free, Always see a deva trained stylist for cut and Aveda Institute for color.
I've been using Natural Instincts to color my roots for a long time now. I have always used medium brown. Saturday I tried the medium golden brown all over and it gave me auburn highlights. I just saved myself a lot of money.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
I wish I could afford the upkeep of the highlights. I have gray at the roots and the hairline and I color the roots about every 4 to 6 weeks. I do this at home so it's pretty inexpensive. I'd love to have auburn highlights. Maybe, I'll make the plunge and if it gets too expensive I can always go back to coloring the roots.
I recently switched to using henna (at home). My hair is naturally very dark brown with about 20% gray. Since my hair is so dark, I am not bright red from the henna. Rather, I get a nice overall red wash look on my brown, and a nice auburn red on my grays. Ta da...easy auburn highlights. Finally, and UP side to having gray hair.

The henna is really great for my hair too...very shiny and conditioned.
Have any of you thought of going grey? I'm toying with the idea because the color is so harsh on my scalp and hair. I dread the thought of coloring it so much I've let my roots grow out to over an inch. I can tousel my curls to hide most of it, but I have a white streak going on and am seriously considering it. The think that holds me back is that I don't want to look at myself and feel any older than I am (turned 50 this year) I'm interested in your replies. Thanks
2b-3c depending on the weather, conditioner, length, etc.
Going grey since April, 2006. No cutting since May / June, 2006.
As a matter of fact, there are several curlies going "silver". Here is a link to that discussion:

http://naturallycurly2.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=56493
Maudie
Thank you so much!
I found a Curlscene article I had copied and saved from long ago on NC about making herbal hair dyes. I tried the link ( http://www.naturallycurly2.com/curls...ytype=articles )but it wasn't working so if anyone wants it I can email the .doc to you.

Trending Topics