Too old for long hair??

I'm going to Houston next Thur for my mom's BD on Sat. A week ago my hair was just below bra strap length when dry...I got 2-1/2" cut and now it is just below my shoulders....my own mom spent years telling me to enjoy it long while I was young as there appears to be a law that you have to cut it when you turn 40. Well, 49 here and still long. And I'll continue to grow it out as long as it stays healthy (I had to get dead/split stuff off) and some shape to it...I did color it this week and it is supposed to be a dark blonde...not sure what happened, maybe wrong developer, but it'll be blonde again by the time I hit Houston...I do think Mom would have a fit if it were not blonde. ;D See, keeping mom happy...
My son wears combat boots (and a parachute).
The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

I love long hair & I like myself in long hair. I don't care that I am 57. I will probably always have it long. I may do more updo's as I get older. My hair is shorter now then I like, but I have ends that need to be cut off. I really pamper my hair, but my ends are damaged. My hairdresser said it may be due to the environment, very dry weather & hard water. I have very fine, thin hair. I think I have had my last haircut with the hairdresser. He seems to be a bit scissor happy.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
I'm 59 (and pushing 60 with both hands ) and I've been letting my hair grow for the past two years. It's shoulder length now and the longest it's been in a very long time. The "rule" about cutting your hair after 40 was made by the previous generation. We boomers have always made our own rules and there's no reason to stop now. I'm going to keep on letting it grow out until I decide it's long enough. As long as it looks good on me, who's to say what I should do with my hair.
Laura

Fine, 3A, but a lot of it.

http://public.fotki.com/latetocurls/

PW: Curly
I love long hair & I like myself in long hair. I don't care that I am 57. I will probably always have it long. I may do more updo's as I get older. My hair is shorter now then I like, but I have ends that need to be cut off. I really pamper my hair, but my ends are damaged. My hairdresser said it may be due to the environment, very dry weather & hard water. I have very fine, thin hair. I think I have had my last haircut with the hairdresser. He seems to be a bit scissor happy.
Originally Posted by Lotsawaves
I agree with the bolded. I am 45 and my hair is now about 3 inches past my shoulders in the back. I have had varying lengths through the years and have always preferred it long. It is just so versatile. If I am having a bad hair day, I can always put it up and try a new updo. I also feel more feminine with longer hair.

Classic updos are always an option for aging faces. As long as they are not too tight and severely pulled back, I think they are very flattering. I plan on being a silver granny with a classic Katherine Hepburn bun.
I don't think it depends on your chronological age as much as your appearance.

If you have very thin, lifeless, scraggly hair, whether it is due to age, medical isues or just having naturally thin hair, then you should not wear it long.

If your face tends to look long and drawn, saggy and/or tired looking, which once again may or may not be due to age, then you shouldn't wear your hair long.

On the other hand, if you are 60 years old, with a thick, full head of healthy-looking hair, no lines or wrinkles and round, rosy cheeks, then you can wear your hair long.

It also depends on your face shape. Longer hair makes your face look thinner, shorter hair makes your face look fatter and gives you fullness on the sides of your face.

ETA: One of the things that makes a woman look old to me is if she has very thin hair - I don't mean the thinness of each hair strand but the volume of hair; if you look at the back of her head you can see space in between the hairs.

Last edited by Malory; 11-29-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Originally Posted by Lotsawaves
I agree with the bolded. I am 45 and my hair is now about 3 inches past my shoulders in the back. I have had varying lengths through the years and have always preferred it long. It is just so versatile. If I am having a bad hair day, I can always put it up and try a new updo. I also feel more feminine with longer hair.

Classic updos are always an option for aging faces. As long as they are not too tight and severely pulled back, I I plan on being a silver granny with a classic Katherine Hepburn bun.
Originally Posted by misspam
Amen, sister! Me too!
3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
Picasa:
Link
Deva Low Poo
Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
Homemade FSG
KCCC
Curl Junkie Stuff
BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.
-wabi-sabi

Grow your hair out for long as you want - for life!
Hair length has 0% to do with age. It would all break off to short if we were genetically meant to have short hair after 30, 40, or whatever "magic" age.
Originally Posted by Speckla
hmmm maybe that is why my hair is falling out? Because I will be 40 in 2 days? LOL

actually I am only half-laughing, genetically I am programmed to be bald at 60. not fun.

If you can have a full head of long hair, by all means grow it long! I know a lot of us cut it as we get older because it thins so much that it would look scraggly/witchy when long, and shorter styles make it look fuller, along with the fact that hair texture changes when hair goes to gray.

Speckla
Hair length has 0% to do with age. It would all break off to short if we were genetically meant to have short hair after 30, 40, or whatever "magic" age.
hmmm maybe that is why my hair is falling out? Because I will be 40 in 2 days? LOL

actually I am only half-laughing, genetically I am programmed to be bald at 60. not fun.

If you can have a full head of long hair, by all means grow it long! I know a lot of us cut it as we get older because it thins so much that it would look scraggly/witchy when long, and shorter styles make it look fuller, along with the fact that hair texture changes when hair goes to gray.
Originally Posted by oreosmakemehappy

Hair, or lackthereof, will not change the fact that you have a beautiful face. Go shorter if it's getting thinner. Go straighter if it makes it fuller and easier for you to deal with. Just don't go away.
I can think of only one good reason for the "shorter hair over 40" rule, and the good news is: it doesn't really apply to curlies or wavies, in my opinion. Long, straight hair could, in some cases, kind of drag your features down and make you look tired and/or older. (I expect this also depends on face shape, etc., as well as many other factors). But curlies and wavies usually have waves, curls and or tendrils next to the face that create a nice, perky "lifted" look, which would alleviate this concern.

The bottom line is -- if longer hair looks good on you, go for it!

Wurly and proud!
Modified CG since 2008.
Banned
I just got a trim the other day & my hair dresser said she can't imagine me w/ really short hair. Shoulder length is about as short as I go & just long enough to put it up!
Code:
screw everyone else! lol
I don't think it depends on your chronological age as much as your appearance.

On the other hand, if you are 60 years old, with a thick, full head of healthy-looking hair, no lines or wrinkles and round, rosy cheeks, then you can wear your hair long.
Originally Posted by Malory

sounds like a good goal to me!! we'll see what happens in november of 2009
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
If your face tends to look long and drawn, saggy and/or tired looking, which once again may or may not be due to age, then you shouldn't wear your hair long....It also depends on your face shape. Longer hair makes your face look thinner, shorter hair makes your face look fatter and gives you fullness on the sides of your face.

ETA: One of the things that makes a woman look old to me is if she has very thin hair - I don't mean the thinness of each hair strand but the volume of hair; if you look at the back of her head you can see space in between the hairs.
Originally Posted by Malory
That should rule out long hair for me, but I'm 47 and growing it out anyway. I liked short hair when I was younger, but right now, it just seems to put me in a matronly box. I know, I know, "find the right stylist/cut," but that is so much easier said than done. Honestly, I haven't had a well-constructed short cut in 7-8 years. Even though I have a long face, longer hair looks better on me than a bad short cut.

One thing I may try when I am done with long hair is a short cut that doesn't include lots of short layers near the face. That sort of cut is a recipe for frizz.

Last edited by Verity; 12-02-2008 at 09:34 AM.
I'm 59 (and pushing 60 with both hands ) and I've been letting my hair grow for the past two years. It's shoulder length now and the longest it's been in a very long time. The "rule" about cutting your hair after 40 was made by the previous generation. We boomers have always made our own rules and there's no reason to stop now. I'm going to keep on letting it grow out until I decide it's long enough. As long as it looks good on me, who's to say what I should do with my hair.
Originally Posted by latetocurls
right on girl!! i just turned 59 and am also pushing 60 (away!) i am interested to see your longer hair pics--i just saw a couple of short hair photos on your fotki. got any new ones? your hair is very pretty. do you color it? yourself or by salon? what do u use? i use robt craig which works well for me now that i fingured out i have to use a blonde to get a nice brown. did you graduate HS in 1967 like me??
banjo
Susan suburban NY
CG since 11/11/04
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
I will be 42 this month. Some women look terrific with short hair and I envy them because I could never pull it off. I feel that I look better with long hair, so I stick with it.
3A. I like Wella Kolestral. I also like a lot of products made by Nexxus.
Originally Posted by latetocurls
right on girl!! i just turned 59 and am also pushing 60 (away!) i am interested to see your longer hair pics--i just saw a couple of short hair photos on your fotki. got any new ones? your hair is very pretty. do you color it? yourself or by salon? what do u use? i use robt craig which works well for me now that i fingured out i have to use a blonde to get a nice brown. did you graduate HS in 1967 like me??
banjo
Originally Posted by banjocurl
Thank you, banjocurls. I haven't taken any pictures since those on the fotki, but I should. My hair doesn't grow as fast as I'd like but I'm making progress. I just had a trim, color and highlights last Thursday. I used to color it myself, but I was never happy with the color and then I ended up frying it. The colorist I go to is very, very good. Even my stylist who has cut my hair for the past 34 years (longer than I've been with any of my husbands ) and who recommended the colorist, couldn't tell that I had had the color done.

Yep, I graduated in '67. A good year!

I love your color and your hair. Beautiful curls!
Laura

Fine, 3A, but a lot of it.

http://public.fotki.com/latetocurls/

PW: Curly
thanks!! does your stylist know about cutting curly hair? does she cut it dry and know about deva etc? where do u live? i go to devachan in NY and the stylists are all pretty young there. it is fun going there, esp since i only go once a year. more than that my wallet would complain and i hate to miss a day of hiking. luckily i can do the color myself (with DH helping on the back and underneath) so that only costs me $12 every 5-6 wks.
i am looking forward to seeing your new pics. sometimes i feel like the oldest person on this board!
banjo

Thank you, banjocurls. I haven't taken any pictures since those on the fotki, but I should. My hair doesn't grow as fast as I'd like but I'm making progress. I just had a trim, color and highlights last Thursday. I used to color it myself, but I was never happy with the color and then I ended up frying it. The colorist I go to is very, very good. Even my stylist who has cut my hair for the past 34 years (longer than I've been with any of my husbands ) and who recommended the colorist, couldn't tell that I had had the color done.

Yep, I graduated in '67. A good year!

I love your color and your hair. Beautiful curls!
Susan suburban NY
CG since 11/11/04
I can think of only one good reason for the "shorter hair over 40" rule, and the good news is: it doesn't really apply to curlies or wavies, in my opinion. Long, straight hair could, in some cases, kind of drag your features down and make you look tired and/or older. (I expect this also depends on face shape, etc., as well as many other factors). But curlies and wavies usually have waves, curls and or tendrils next to the face that create a nice, perky "lifted" look, which would alleviate this concern.

The bottom line is -- if longer hair looks good on you, go for it!
Originally Posted by wavycurly40+
I totally agree!
3B-3C, alittle past tailbone length,age:41 years
This was me about a year ago..with two transistional cuts going shorter each time I now have a chin length bob that I am now wearing curly for the first time this month. I so happy to see my lovely spirals returning. Im also ditching the shampoo..I have found some easy to make natural shampoos to avoid the chemical damage regular shampoo will do. My goal my fellow curly sisters is to get this look back. Wish me luck. If hair grows a half inch a month and with MSM/Biotin added to diet in supplement form to length the growing phase I should see some nice results in no time..(crosses her fingers) I have decided Im going back to long lush curls and the old adage of cutting your hair short at 40 can go fly a kite!. (nicely put)
That is exactly right! Look at women like Jane Seymour, Cindy Crawford, Brooke Shields, and Jaclyn Smith. They are all over the "magic" age of 40 and have long hair - AND they all look terrific!
3A. I like Wella Kolestral. I also like a lot of products made by Nexxus.

Trending Topics