Too old for long hair??

Im 43 and use to have long lush auburn curls. But after being told I have PCOS things took an ugly turn. I ended up loosing a large percentage of my hair and had to wear it short. Now with things under control and the hair growing back I can now have more choices about the look or the style of my hair. But here lies the problem. Most of my family thinks women over 40 should go short. They think I look better with short hair as well. When I attempt to grow it out I get just so far before Im disgusted and given in to the demands and have it cut back. Now Im sitting here with an angled bob thats just shy of my chin line (1930-40) and I dont like it anymore. I want back the long curls and Im not afraid to attempt growing it back. I just need advice on products that I might easliy find that would stimulate the grow faster. And how to deal with the growing out stage that has me feeling akward and silly looking. For now I blow it out smooth but I want to let go of heating tools and just go natural.
Hello,

Well, I am 42 and I have decided not to cut my hair until I hit 50 well atleast that is what the plan is today. The way I feel about it is. There is a difference between long hair and long pretty hair. so if you think you can grow your hair out and it will still look great then by all means grow it out. But I do have to say when i see a women with long stringy hair that looks really unhealthy I just wonder why she doesn't cut it.

All that being said you didn't say if you are cg or using all natural products, I think that is a good start for growing your hair out. they say scalp massage is good to stimulate hair growth. while you are cowashing rub scalp with the pads of your fingers in circular motion.

good luck on growing your hair out.
Very Thick dry 3b BSL.
Fine, medium porosity
Right now I am using GVP conditioning balm for cowash and RO,
my hair loves protein.
for styling my base is BRHG I can use it alone but prefer with Curl Keeper. I sulphate poo once a month or so as needed.
http://public.fotki.com/CurlyHaze/
First of all, Curlyhaze, yer avatar hair is stunning!

Back to business: VampireCurls- Congrats on the renewed health! We take so much for granted til we are faced with a test.

Honey, grow your hair! Check with your doc, but I know (from a go-round with Alopecia last year) that Biotin helps, Omega 3s, etc. They sell some hair growth formula type vitamins if you prefer one pill. Eat clean. And by all means, if you are not CG, go GC.

Healthy hair always looks great! There are many older celebs who still rock long hair to serve as your example. But at the end of the day, YOU need to love what you see when you look in the mirror. I cant tell you how to deal with tactless or insensitive relatives.... But if you post pics here, you will get honest feedback and unconditional support!

Good luck and Good Health!
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
another PCOS sufferer here - lately i've been losing a LOT of hair, but that isn't stopping me from trying to grow it out!

if you want long hair - GO FOR IT!!!

i wear long wigs on a regular basis and love 'em!

My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
Glad you're on the mend

It's your hair and you wear it however you want to - tell everyone else to naff off!

I went through a similar thing earlier in the year as everyone I work with has neat, straight bobs or shorter styles (how boring) and I wondered if I should have BC and 'conform'. We all went out for a meal and hair came up in conversation - the rest of the team all said how much they envy my long curls and wish they had the nerve to be different (we work in a complete control freak environment - and they all wear suits to work and I tend to go for a smart but more bohemian look).

Do your own thing and be proud
Marchioness Chinoise in the land of Mancunia Productia Junkia in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

DT: AOHR
Wash: Anita Grant babassu bar
Leave-in: Body Shop cotton seed curl boost with manuka honey mixed in
Gel: Umberto Giannini Curl Friends scrunching gel
Odds & ends Lime juice, honey, Anita Grant cafe latte
I brush with a Tangle Teezer & love Flexi-8's

www.public.fotki.com/janeyliz
www.thelilyfoundation.org.uk
Speckla
Grow your hair out for long as you want - for life!
Hair length has 0% to do with age. It would all break off to short if we were genetically meant to have short hair after 30, 40, or whatever "magic" age.
Hair length has 0% to do with age. It would all break off to short if we were genetically meant to have short hair after 30, 40, or whatever "magic" age.
Originally Posted by Speckla
Lol... love that theory... So, assuming that is correct.... what else would break off when we know longer are meant to have it??
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
Speckla
Originally Posted by Speckla
Lol... love that theory... So, assuming that is correct.... what else would break off when we know longer are meant to have it??
Originally Posted by rudeechick
Hey, things droop and sag but they don't break off -- no matter how much closer they are to the ground.
Most of my family thinks women over 40 should go short. They think I look better with short hair as well. When I attempt to grow it out I get just so far before Im disgusted and given in to the demands and have it cut back.
hogwash my dear. glad you have your health back and can grow your hair. i just turned 59 and my hair is almost waist length and colored and CURLY 3B.
f---- em i say. last year i went to my 40th high school reunion. i was the only one there with long curly hair, except for someone with very frizzy unstyled long hair--it was red so it looked cool anyway. i did get lots of compliments. here is a shot of me with some of my friends i have known for 50+ years. i think we look pretty good, considering...
Attached Thumbnails
Too old for long hair??-40reunion021banjocurlfriends.jpg  
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
banjo, love your hair - thanks for the validation!

My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
Whenever people say that women over 40 should cut their hair I always tell them look at Jane Seymour!!! She's beautiful and has always had long beautiful hair. I'm not cutting mine any time soon!
Jeez - is that tired old rule still around? LOL! Granted, a bunch of women tend to look better with shorter hair when they get older, but certainly not all! It really depends on the woman's whole look, her kind of hair, her lifestyle, and her features. I had short hair for years, but now it is a good shoulder-length(I know - this doesn't sound long for those of you who have truly long hair, but it's all relative), and it is looking curlier as it grows too. I'm a mixed texture 2C - 3A, and my hair LOVES humidity making it curl up more. I'm with banjocurl on this one with her attitude. BTW, banjocurl, your hair looks beautiful - keep on rockin' it!
This keeps me motivated to keep growing it - I've had no haircut(except for me trimming my bangs)since late June!
health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
Jeez - is that tired old rule still around? I'm with banjocurl on this one with her attitude. BTW, banjocurl, your hair looks beautiful - keep on rockin' it!
This keeps me motivated to keep growing it - I've had no haircut(except for me trimming my bangs)since late June!
Originally Posted by cara4curls
thanks cara and roquine--it is really fun to have long hair now with all the new knowledge about curls and keeping hair healthy. people think it is a hassle but it is really no trouble at all. actually i am putting up videos of hair styling on youtube now--search under lazycurls. i chose a new acct bc i don't want my music or dog subscribers seeing me in the shower glopping conditioner by the pound on my hair..
Susan suburban NY
CG since 11/11/04
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
thank you rudechick I have been working hard and learning lots on here.

I always thought women over 40 cut it for convenience and ease of care, I prefer long hair, especially if it is in good health.

I say just let it grow if you want.
Very Thick dry 3b BSL.
Fine, medium porosity
my hair loves protein.
for styling my base is BRHG I can use it alone but prefer with Curl Keeper. I sulphate poo once a month or so as needed.
Jeez - is that tired old rule still around? LOL! Granted, a bunch of women tend to look better with shorter hair when they get older, but certainly not all! It really depends on the woman's whole look, her kind of hair, her lifestyle, and her features.
Originally Posted by cara4curls
I definitely agree with the bolded. If you want long hair don't let anyone tell you how you should wear it. BUT, some older women do not look good with their hair longer. If they want to wear it like that they should, but it's naive to believe we all look good with our chosen hairstyle/length no matter what else is going on with our faces.

I definitely agree with the bolded. If you want long hair don't let anyone tell you how you should wear it. BUT, some older women do not look good with their hair longer. If they want to wear it like that they should, but it's naive to believe we all look good with our chosen hairstyle/length no matter what else is going on with our faces.
yeah i hope that if that is the case with me and i am too blind to see it that someone will tell me. i am not a fan of the "old woman with ratty gray hair scraggling down her back" look, or the wrinkled old woman with the artificially colored hair that looks harsh and fake.
however many older women have beautiful long hair that looks great on them.
Susan suburban NY
CG since 11/11/04
I can relate, although I'm in my late 30s. I spent the last 5 or 10 years believing that long hair wasn't professional or polished. Then I saw a few old photos of my long spirals and decided to start growing it back. I don't think there's one right length for a certain age, it's all based on your hair, face shape, body type. Healthy, well-cared for hair that suits the individual is beautiful, no matter what the length.
VC, I think it's great when someone chooses to grow/keep long hair when others think that being over 40 dictates wearing a bob. I found that going CG was a wonderful incentive to grow my hair. I don't think I would have attempted it if it meant blow drying and straightening it every day. Ack!
Maudie

I always thought women over 40 cut it for convenience and ease of care, I prefer long hair, especially if it is in good health.

Originally Posted by CurlyHaze
Not to guano, but CurlyHaze, I just looked at your latest Fotki and WOW! You may now be one of my hair idols!

I'm 50 and am growing my hair out. What I have learned over the last year of caring for my hair is that nobody is more obsessed with my hair than me! If I'm happy with my hair who cares about everybody else? No one has ever said anything truly negative about my hair (even family) so I choose to assume that it looks as great as I think it does! (I'm a big fan of creating my own reality)

If you want to grow your hair DO IT! We will all support you even if no one else will.
3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
Picasa:
Link
Deva Low Poo
Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
Homemade FSG
KCCC
Curl Junkie Stuff
BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.
-wabi-sabi

Originally Posted by CurlyHaze
Not to guano, but CurlyHaze, I just looked at your latest Fotki and WOW! You may now be one of my hair idols!

I'm 50 and am growing my hair out. What I have learned over the last year of caring for my hair is that nobody is more obsessed with my hair than me! If I'm happy with my hair who cares about everybody else? No one has ever said anything truly negative about my hair (even family) so I choose to assume that it looks as great as I think it does! (I'm a big fan of creating my own reality)

If you want to grow your hair DO IT! We will all support you even if no one else will.
Originally Posted by mpgirl
Thanks mpgirl your curls have come a long way you look great. keep up the grow out work.
Very Thick dry 3b BSL.
Fine, medium porosity
my hair loves protein.

Trending Topics