will essential oil make my face break out?

I am 47 and still dealing with acne. It's not that I break out all that often, but when I do, the bumps and/or reddish/browish spots that follow them just don't go away. For that reason, I use only oil-free products, except around my eyes. I do NOT want to risk a breakout when I know the aftermath will last for months, if not years.

I recently tried a sample of Juice Beauty cleansing gel, thinking that it's oil-free. Most cleansing gels are oil-free, and this product is supposed to be for "blemish/oily/combination" skin. I like the product, but I read the list of ingredients and discovered that the last two are citrus aurantium (petitgrain) & cananga odorata (ylang ylang) pure essential oils.

Are essential oils likely to cause breakouts?

Just FYI, I cross-posted in the makeup/skin care forum in case anyone is interested in the responses.

Last edited by Verity; 12-02-2008 at 09:20 PM.
I'm 46 and dealing with the whole hormonal acne thing. I tell you it is UNFAIR!

I have been using the OCM for the past week or two. I was orginally using Castor and Sunflower, but recently swtiched to Castor and Grapeseed (which feels lighter and silkier to me).

I OCM every other night, alternating with my old standby of Cetaphil. I gotta tell ya, the OCM is having a significant affect on any cystic breakouts I have. It makes them go down overnight...

I'm just sayin....
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
What does OCM mean?

I've tried an oil-based cleanser (I can't remember the name of the company, but it's Japanese), and while my face felt great, it wasn't worth worrying about whether I was going to break out. I ended up following with a "real" cleanser.
I've had to eliminate Jojoba oil from the H.A serum that I apply in the AM, I have a permanent set of zits/acne that likes to crop up again and again in the same spot. I've also steered clear of my PSF Castille Cleanser because I think it, too, is contributing to the problem.
2b/3a.
What does OCM mean?

I've tried an oil-based cleanser (I can't remember the name of the company, but it's Japanese), and while my face felt great, it wasn't worth worrying about whether I was going to break out. I ended up following with a "real" cleanser.
Originally Posted by Verity
That works for me in the winter months...during spring summer and fall..I have to do something else.

Almond oil works the best. I have used DHC and followed up with their olive oil soap. This spring I will be trying Philosphy. OCM works best if I do it every other day..
What does OCM mean?
Originally Posted by Verity
Oil Cleansing Method, click here for details
2b/3a.
Acne-prone people can use this method? It seems completely counterintutive that putting oil on your skin would not cause immediate breakouts.

If my breakouts didn't take months/years to heal, I might be willing to try it.
I just did a quick google search for the properties of the essential oils you mentioned and they shouldn't aggravate your skin..espcially since they're the last two products in the ingredients list.

Ylang ylang essential oil info: Used in Skin Care for:
Ylang Ylang helps balance the skin’s sebum, leading to a healthy hydrated skin. It is beneficial to both dry and oily skin. (http://www.harvestsoaps.com/shop/Yla...tial%20Oil.htm)

Petitgrain essential oil info: Petitgrain essential oil has been traditionally used in aromatherapy for acne, excessive perspiration, greasy skin and hair, and general toning of the skin. (http://www.anandaapothecary.com/arom...ntial-oil.html)

There are various essential oils that are beneficial to the skin (http://www.naturesgift.com/essentialoil-skincare.htm).

As for OCM, I've read positive and negative reviews. I've been tempted to try it but would rather follow a routine I'm used to than experiment and wreak havoc on my skin.

Also, there is a difference between essential oils and carrier oils like jojoba, emu, or castor oil. Essential oils are a "by-product" of a plant. They are extracted from various plant anatomies: flower petals, stems, seeds, leaves, bark, roots, rinds, and grasses. Essential oils are extracted via steam distillation or pressing the plant (the method usually used for citrus oils). Carrier oils on the other hand are derived from the fatty portion of vegetables or animals (emu, ostrich, etc.) that are used to moisturize the skin or as a vehicle for applying essential oils. Carrier oils, unlike essential oils, can be used undiulted on the skin. When mixed with a water based serum like hyaluronic acid, it helps to retain moisture. Essential oils should NOT be used pure on the skin as it can cause irritation or a reaction. (More info: http://www.aromaweb.com/articles/whatcarr.asp)
2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/

Last edited by helloitsio; 12-23-2008 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Added more info/clarification
If you have acne, nothing you do topically to your face will help the acne get totally better. You need to see a dermatologist for that. It's not as if there's a product out there that will not make you have acne. The acne itself needs to be sorted out first, then you can use products that are less acne-prone, but the doctor will help you with that.

Besides that, I use the OCM since I was a child. My mom (because of extremely sensitive, dry skin) needed to always cleanse my face with a cotton ball and a few drops of almond oil. Soapy cleansers make my face dry up, even cleansers that don't have sulfates do that. So I cleanse with oil, water only, or with a heavy cream (like Nivea). Only, the Nivea isn't that good for the acne. Nowadays I use macadamia oil (non-comedogenic) to cleanse and it's better than the almond oil (comedogenic).

Because I have extremely sensitive skin, dry skin, topical acne treatments don't do well with me, they dry out my skin even more, so I have to occasionally take low-dose long-term oral antibiotics to have it clear up once in a while, so I won't have scars in the long run.

Being gentle on my face, and regular visits with the dermatologist are the only things that really work but there's no miracle cure for acne.
Hi,
In aromatherapy, essential oils play an important part. Only a particular essential oil is used for a particular treatment and is very important in curing the ailment. In order to get a good quality essential oil at a competitive price, a little online research is helpful. You can get more information from www.essentialoilsonline.co.uk.

Trending Topics