is there any kind of foundation that doesn't accentuate wrinkles?

I use Meow. It shows my pores and wrinkles, but that might be because of my routine/application method. I've also used everyday minerals and a few others, I like Meow. They really are all messy.

I'm allergic to synthetic sunscreens which rules out just about every drugstore/department store liquid foundation. AND moisturizer!

I've tried the mineral foundation with a silicone primer and without a primer and I don't see a difference in appearance. The primer makes my skin feel smoother but it looks about the same. I've also tried a finishing powder with the same results.

I put the foundation on after sunscreen (vanicream, which is zinc and titanium only) which might be what throws everything off.

Anyway, if anyone knows of any "natural" type foundations that aren't powders and that don't contain synthetic sunscreens...I'm always looking...I've been using "Peace-Keepers Cause Metics" for lips and that's been fine (totally hate the name though!).
formerly Castella
(my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
Clinique Even Better foundation.

I have very dry skin, so foundation can be my enemy because it accentuates any wrinkles I have. This foundation gives good coverage, has age-fighting ingredients in it, is not too expensive, and feels very light on the skin.

I used mineral makeup for years and years .. until this foundation came along. I love it, and no powder is necessary to set it which is good because powder is not a friend to wrinkles.
FIA: 2cFii

Lady Crispina, Confector of Pharmaceutria and Conjurer of Exquisitus JuJu, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
No, powder isn't a friend to wrinkles, but when your skin is still as oily as mine, it's fairly unavoidable - anti-shine products work to some extent, but I have the best results just using Meow and blotting if needed later with those Clean & Clear oil absorbing sheets. Fortunately I don't have too many wrinkles for my age. I may change my tune as I get more.
2C/3A/3B - modified CG - med./fine, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, YTCarrots or Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite, KCCC, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
I wish I could use a foundation that's meant for dry skin--I think that would help my skin look smoother/less pasty and chalky. Alas, I have to stick with oil-free products or I break out. Adult acne SUCKS.
Just started using Maybelline Dream Matte Liquid Mousse. It seems to have a primer mixed in,so it goes on very smooth and doesn't seem to settle into lines. So far I'm liking it a lot, though I'm having to mix two shades to get the right color. I'm worried that it will make my t-zone too shiny/slick in summer, particularly when I have to layer a sunscreen underneath (the makeup is only SPF 15). I'm also holding my breath for breakouts, since DHC Velvet Skin Coat seemed to be making me break out. So far, though, I'm liking this stuff!
I tried Graftobian, which is a professional (ie model/actress) grade foundation. It doesn't have any of the extras, like moisturizer or sunscreen. So it looked promising and I was really excited.

It's easier to apply than powder but the end result was pretty much the same, settling in fine lines.

Now I'm going to try Sally Hansen's Inspired by Carmindy foundation. It claims to be natural but it has a ton of crap in it (lots of plastics, synthetic fragrances etc). I also picked up a Physicians Formula powder that claims to minimize fine lines, we'll just see about that! The Sally Hansen's stuff has oil in it, so it might make you break out.

All the primers seem to be different combinations of silicones.

I get better results applying powder with a foam wedge than with a brush. I also read that it can help to make the powder wet first (which sounds extra messy). I've mixed it in directly with my sunscreen in the past, and that worked fine but I don't have time for all this mixing and whatnot in the morning!
formerly Castella
Update:
I've used the Sally Hansen Carmindy foundation for a week now. It is a sheerer coverage than I get from powder, and does not accentuate fine lines/wrinkles. So I like it. The color palette is very limited though. I prefer the cream blush to the powder blush. The lipstick is fine, the gloss is a goo-fest.

Recently noticed that someone at work who is almost 60 had changed her makeup routine. She was still doing the same thing she had been doing for decades. All of a sudden, she looked fresher and younger! So I interrogated her. She is using Clinique Superbalanced powder. She puts on moisturizer first, than the powder. I think she uses very little powder, which may be why her results are so good. She has a jar with a lid that releases a little powder with a twist, and she applies it with a brush.
formerly Castella
Laura Mercier foundation. When mixed with a little water and using a foundation brush, it does a great job.

Philosophy Supernaturals mineral foundation. I love this. Easy to apply. Decent coverage. I use natural.

Smashbox Hydrating Halo powder. I use this after any foundation. It is moisturizing and does NOT settle into ANYTHING.
2C/3A auburn hair.
between shoulders and BSL
thanks for the Clinique tip. I may try it
2C/3A auburn hair.
between shoulders and BSL
I use Clinique Super Balanced mineral make-up and love it. I used to use Bare Minerals but I like the Clinique
make-up better. I used to not like Clinique makeup but
now it is my best friend.
I've been using the Sally Hansen Carmindy for a couple of weeks now, no problems (no breakouts). It is a lighter coverage than powder and I'm not convinced that I picked the best color for me.

I'm waiting to get my Clinique Superbalanced powder. I also got the pore minimizer.

And I'm looking to try the philosophy supernatural superbeautiful. All of these just use titanium dioxide and zinc for sunscreen, so they're safe for my skin. "More" magazine gave a shoutout to the superbeautiful. They also recommended Smashbox halo hydrating perfecting powder but it's pricier than Clinique and philosophy.

Does anyone use a special mirror? My vision is getting dramatically worse and I'm looking at those lighted magnifying type mirrors.

Totally in love with Evan Healy products (for cleansing and moisturizing)!
formerly Castella
I still prefer powder foundations even tho I have wrinkles and older skin. I like the Smashbox hydrating perfecting powder alot but its a little more than I like to spend. I never let myself run out of Beauti Control wet/dry powder. It's my favorite. It can be put on wet but I've never tried it that way. I put it on dry with the sponge it comes with or use a kabuki brush.

There is no way I could put my face on without a light magnified makeup mirror (I also need it to find all those darn chin hairs). I just have an inexpensive one I got on ebay. I even take it on vacation with me.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
I am well over 40 (70) although most people don't believe it. I let my hair grow out and its mostly silver although I have a hard time with second day curls (I am only a 2b-c).I used to work for Estee Lauder doing makeovers in department stores so used to be really into makeupt. As I aged thank God my skin has stayed fairly young looking although I could look really good if I had plastic surgery on eyes but refuse to do so and take risks, a pair of in style glasses helps detract from a tired look. Anyway, I tried BE minerals and looked terrible, sort of like an alligator Someone told me about aromaleigh.com and have been using their mineral powder for many years noand it looks very nice and natural. No silicones or crap in it and reasonably priced. I do use MAC powder eye shadow because they make a nice brown/gray (Concrete) that works great for me as an eyeliner. anneh

don't breed or buy while homeless animals die
I've been using tinted moisturizer, but wasn't 100% happy with it. I want something that gives a bit more coverage and doesn't leave my chin and forehead greasy-looking.

I looked for the Clinique makeup mentioned upthread, but it does not come in a shade light enough for me. I ran across Stila Natural Finish Oil-Free makeup, and I think I'm in love! It gives a beautiful, matte-but-not-cakey finish to my skin. It's easy to wash off, too. (I tried a Maybelline makeup that looks pretty nice on, but is almost impossible to get off.)

I'm not sure I have the right shade, though. Shade c may be a smidge too light for me, so I may have to buy some d as well and blend. I hate having to mix makeup shades, but find it's almost inevitable. At this price ($3, I'd also prefer not to buy two bottles. Still, this makeup is so nice that I can get past all that! It may not be good for those with pink-toned skin, though--the shades all seem to be on the golden side.

That brings up a question: should foundation match your skin exactly, or should it be ever-so-slightly darker? This foundation blends right into my skin, but I feel a little pale with it on. Should I go with a slightly deeper shade, or have I just become used to foundation/tinted moisturizer that's really too dark for me?

Last edited by Verity; 08-31-2010 at 05:10 AM.

Trending Topics