is there any kind of foundation that doesn't accentuate wrinkles?

I'm willing to spend a fair amount of money if I can find something that will do a reasonable job of covering acne/evening out skin tone without accentuating wrinkles. Does such a thing exist? Is it all about using heavy (or heavyish) moisturizer underneath foundation? If so, I'm sunk, because I can use only oil-free moisturizer or I risk a breakout.

I've tried drugstore brand products (Revlon Age-Defying and Maybelline Age Rewind) and Jane Iredale pressed foundation. Everything seems to settle into lines. I end up rubbing half of it off.

If I had clear skin, I'd go without makeup, but I can't do that because of my *&%^ acne.
I love Bare Escentuals Bare minerals Foundations. They diffuse pores, minimize imperfections, soften lines and look natural doing it!

Been using it since I was 42 and see no reason to switch now!
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
I agree on the BE. I like the mineral makeup. I didn't think a powder would give me enough coverage, but I was really surprised.

Since we're talking wrinkles. I read a magazine today that rated some products. Neutrogena Healthy Skin Rejuvenator got a thumbs up. It's $40. I'm going to get one and try it out. It works like a microdermabrasion. There was a dermatologist who was also recommending this. It's suppose to be good for fine lines.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
Another BE lover here. I find it goes on smooth, never settles in fine lines, and stays put all day even on my combination/oily skin. I will never go back to liquid foundation again!
I've tried Everyday Minerals and Jane Iredale mineral foundation. Is BE different somehow? What kind of moisturizer do you use under it?

Also, what do you use around your eyes? Even when I'm using Jane Iredale on the rest of my face, I can't bring myself to try a mineral makeup around my eyes. What do you do for undereye concealer, if you need it?
I've tried Everyday Minerals and Jane Iredale mineral foundation. Is BE different somehow?
Originally Posted by Verity
I've used all of them, and BE is hands down the best. It just gives better coverage.

What kind of moisturizer do you use under it?
Well if you buy the BE starter kit, it comes with this lotion-y type product that you put on before your moisturizer called "skin rev-er upper". It's basically vitamins for your skin, and it does an excellent job of smoothing and prepping your skin before applying your regular cream and then the BE. The moisturizer I use is Alba Sea Lipids cream.

Also, what do you use around your eyes? Even when I'm using Jane Iredale on the rest of my face, I can't bring myself to try a mineral makeup around my eyes. What do you do for undereye concealer, if you need it?
If you don't want to use the powder around your eyes, or you just need a little more coverage, then I cannot recommend the Amazing Cosmetics concealer enough. It is, without a doubt, the best concealer I have ever used. I purchased it at Sephora, and they told me it won Allure Magazine's award for best concealer. It's pricey, though. I paid $40 for it.
I was searching for some sort of foundation I could use near my eyes (the Revlon foundation I was using was irritating them terribly) and stumbled on something I really like. It's Cover Girl CG Smoothers. I can't say it erases lines (does anything, short of plastic surgery?), but when I'm wearing it, I don't look in the mirror and say, "Damn, I look old!" the way I have with every makeup I've tried in the past few years. I'd say that's progress!

I use it under my eyes, on my forehead and on my upper cheeks. I'm still using Jane Iredale on my shine- and acne-prone areas (nose, chin, and lower cheeks). I don't know if the CG makeup would break me out if I used it on my lower cheeks, but I'm not willing to risk it.

I'm still interested in Amazing Cosmetics' concealer, but I would have to get to a Sephora store to try it. (They do have testers, don't they?) There's no way I can spend that kind of money on any cosmetic without trying it first.

Last edited by Verity; 12-22-2008 at 04:13 PM.
This is so much a "YMMV" thing - what works for one person's skin another one will absolutely hate - LOL! For instance, mineral makeup and me DON'T get along at all. I tried the Jane Iredale, and no matter what I did with my application techniques, what I wore under it, no dice, plus it dried my skin out horribly while emphasizing every pore, every imperfection ever! It took a week for my skin to recover from that disaster but worse was $42+sales tax down the drain because the store wouldn't even let me exchange it for something else - double UGH here! I even tried BE recently with someone else at the store applying it for me and choosing a good shade. To put it mildly, I was underwhelmed, while the sales associate was all enthusiastic about how "natural" I looked, etc. In fact, I looked so natural it looked like no makeup at all, and not in a good way either. I can achieve the same effect simply by going without makeup - LOL! Maybe for VERY oily skins, mineral makeup works, but for us mature ladies who are starting to dry out at all, not such a good pick, IMO. I remain a liquid foundation fan, in my case, the newer MAC Mineralize Satin Finish, which is a sheer but buildable one that looks lovely on. It has light-reflectors in it without being too shimmery or shiny at all. It just makes the skin look more luminous and blends imperfections. If one wants more coverage, a bit of the Studio Fix mixed in works great. One thing that really helps under foundation of course is the right moisturizer for your skin type. Trying to apply foundation on top of utterly bare skin simply doesn't work too well, especially on dry skin. A primer like Olay Regenerist serum, or the more expensive Smashbox primer work great, as these smooth the surface of the skin, making foundation glide on better. An oily skin could just use one of these under the foundation, and a drier one could use the primer, moisturizer/sunblock and then a light coat of foundation. It is better to apply a LIGHT coat and build on spot that might need it, rather than one heavy coat that ends up settling into wrinkles. For a good foundation, with rare exceptions, you're going to have to pay more, partly because of smoother, more sophisticated formulations and finishes, but also a greater variety of shades. Getting the right shade is half the battle, and at a good makeup counter you should be able to get a good match with someone helping you. The wrong shade of foundation for your skintone will end up looking unnatural, or pasty - not good. But the right formulation and shade will make you look like you, but better(minus the imperfections) and make for a more pulled together look when you apply your other makeup, even if it is not much. I used to be against foundation on principle when I was younger, but eventually came around as my skin changed, and there are excellent formulas out there anyway, greatly improved from 25 years ago for sure.
health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
I swear by MAC foundations, cover ups, and powder. Their eye paint is great too as a base for powder eye shadows, causing them to last much longer than if applied alone. If you go to the MAC counter, they will apply foundation etc for you for free, so you can actively see what the products are like before deciding if you want to purchase them. I was just at a counter the day prior, and they sent me home with four samples of cover up as they were temporarily out of the colour I normally use. The counters here have great customer service.

"I swear by MAC foundations, cover ups, and powder. Their eye paint is great too as a base for powder eye shadows, causing them to last much longer than if applied alone." - theloula

Cool about another MAC fan here! I do the eye paint also for a shadow base and it works so much better than the concealer sticks I used to buy at the drugstore(Physician's Formula correcting concealer in yellow to be specific). I use the shade called "Bare Canvas" which is a light neutral that actually, when worn by itself with just a smidge of smudged eyeliner pencil is a great quick daytime look for when you want to look natural-but-better. Plus it works as a base for a more involved look. Another GREAT thing about that "Bare Canvas" Paint is that it doesn't accentuate any irregularities in skin texture on the lids and up to the brow, a plus in my opinion, and for anyone over the age of 40 depending on how the tissue around the eyes is holding up these days. Seems expensive when you buy that little tube but it lasts a very long time. I'm only on my second tube in a year, which I only opened in the last month or so.
Oh, by the way, the blushes are great too. Even the powder ones - at first I thought I wouldn't be able to wear one with my skin FINALLY starting to dry out some, but they are not drying and are finely milled so that even the ones with some shimmer in them don't look like disco-ball stuff, except for some of the special edition stuff that is more theatrical in nature. But that's a whole different story altogether!
I am 54 and can pay off the national dept with all the money I have spent on foundation. I have found powders settle in my wrinkles and make them look worse, but liquid is sometimes not enough. I have found the No7 line from britian, I use the mouse foundation and mix it with a good primer something that has a silicon base to it. I find it glides on and the primer will fill my lines and gives a very even look.I also think woman that are more mature should have a more moisturized look, but not oily, powders tend to be very drying.good luck
Everybody is definitely different. I don't like mineral foundations particularly, and I've tried many. Though I'm not very lined for my 52 years, it does settle into the ones I have more than I like. And BE has too much mica in it to suit me, making me look too glowy - even with that "top coat", whatever it's called . In any of them, I have to avoid talc as it aggravates my SD - that cuts out a lot of them.

I really, really liked the idea of mineral makeups and really wanted them to work, but just wasn't satisfied enough with any of them to keep putting up with the mess.

I finally went back to my old tried and true Lancome Effacernes Waterproof Undereye Concealer - patted only on the areas I need it, it blends well into the rest of my skin and cuts out the foundation step altogether. If curious about how and why I use it, see my full review about it here http://www.makeupalley.com/product/m...name=/SD=/SC=/
2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
I've tried Everyday Minerals and Jane Iredale mineral foundation. Is BE different somehow?
I've tried them all and I prefer Everyday Minerals, it looked the most natural on my skin. And even with that, I only use it like a concealer to cover up spots. If I put it all over my face, it looks horrible. I didn't like the "sheen" in BE, it seemed to accentuate the dry areas and settle into the wrinkles. Jane Iredale was way too heavy for me, it looked very "caked on" no matter how little I used. I think different skin types respond to them in different ways.
April
3a/b, med texture, med porosity, low dews

Last edited by AprilnUtah; 01-14-2009 at 04:47 PM.
I love Bare Escentuals Bare minerals Foundations. They diffuse pores, minimize imperfections, soften lines and look natural doing it!

Originally Posted by rudeechick
Same here - I've been a BE user for five years, and there's no way I'd switch, and I'm 45.

As for Jane Iredale, I find it way too expensive (I think it's more than BE), but I tried their primer and broke out immediately. I also tried Everyday Minerals, and didn't find the coverage to be enough. BE does the trick for me.
CG since 1/09. Protein and Mag Sulfate sensitive.
Hair Type - 3A.
Co-wash - Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner.
Low-poo as needed - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shampoo.
Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.

Last edited by LisaF1163; 01-19-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Where do you buy it?
Tx

Originally Posted by rudeechick
Same here - I've been a BE user for five years, and there's no way I'd switch, and I'm 45.

As for Jane Iredale, I find it way too expensive (I think it's more than BE), but I tried their primer and broke out immediately. I also tried Everyday Minerals, and didn't find the coverage to be enough. BE does the trick for me.
Originally Posted by LisaF1163
3A-fi, with 2B underlayer, fine/thin hair with some wily greys.
Devacut 11/14/08. CG since late Sept 08.

New Experiments: CK, HoneyHemp CO, ACV Rinse, Honey, soap bar, aloe, KCCC, JC N&S, AOHR, AO GPB
Want to try:
Jojoba Oil or Coconut oil
GTTT
KBB
KBB Super Silky
KCNT

Ulta has it or you can order from BE site. IDK if other stores carry it locally now . . . .
2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
I normally get mine at Sephora - they have huge BE sections.

And if you check BE's website, www.bareescentuals.com , they have store locations for the actual BE stores.

If you do decide to get BE, make sure you get the starter kit and not all the products seperately. The kit gives you two approximate shades of the foundation, the mineral veil, which helps set and finish, and Warmth, which is sort of like a bronzer. In addition, you get three application brushes, and an instructional DVD. That's pretty good for $60, because given the cost of their brushes, you wouldn't get the three brushes for that price, let alone the other stuff. When I first got started on BE, I spent a fortune, way more than that, because I wanted to buy everything seperately. Really dumb of me, even though I loved and used everything I got.
Hair Type - 3A.
Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.

Last edited by LisaF1163; 01-22-2009 at 03:49 PM.
for all the info. Is it worth $60?
3A-fi, with 2B underlayer, fine/thin hair with some wily greys.
Devacut 11/14/08. CG since late Sept 08.

New Experiments: CK, HoneyHemp CO, ACV Rinse, Honey, soap bar, aloe, KCCC, JC N&S, AOHR, AO GPB
Want to try:
Jojoba Oil or Coconut oil
GTTT
KBB
KBB Super Silky
KCNT

To me it is. Here's the thing - the three brushes you'll get are worth $60 alone. So consider the two foundations, the mineral veil, the Warmth bronzer and the DVD tutorial to be icing on the cake.

Keep in mind, you may not use absolutely everything - for example, if I'd bought the kit, I would have no use for Warmth since I look awful in bronzer. I'd probably never use the second shade of foundation. But you can always give those to someone who can use them, or swap them. Some people mix the two shades of foundation to get a perfect match, or some use the lighter shade in winter and the darker shade in summer when they have a little tan.

It may be worth it to you to just buy one piece at a time - but the foundation is $25 and the Mineral Veil is $19. None of that price includes the brushes, and you're already up to $44. I spent so much more money buying everything piece by piece instead of the kit.

So, I guess my opinion would be - yes, it's totally worth the $60, because I spent a whole lot more than that, and it was still worth it to me. I've been using BE for five years, and would never switch to anything else. But everyone is different, so you have to really judge by what works best for you.

If this helps, here's a link to Sephora to show you the kit. Also, FYI, the foundations, mineral veil and warmth in the kit are slightly smaller than what you'd buy a la carte. But see what you get in the kit,and then check out the individual prices of what's in there. It's a lot of money to get started with individual stuff:

http://www.sephora.com/browse/produc...ategoryId=5737
Hair Type - 3A.

Last edited by LisaF1163; 01-23-2009 at 03:51 PM.
I can't say it erases lines (does anything, short of plastic surgery?)
Yes, Radiesse!

Sorry for the guano.
KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.

Last edited by KurlyKarenLee; 01-23-2009 at 07:28 PM.

Trending Topics