what do you think makes a woman look old?

The bra issue, absolutely.

And elastic-waist skirts or trousers.

And what about those shoes that are a cross between sneakers and old person lace-ups? I think they have a small gold letter near the laces. Those are awful.

I disagree about scarves.
This may not necessarily fall under the category of appearance, but I think these things affect our appearance.

Complaining
A bad attitude
A negative outlook
Self centeredness
Rehearsing aches and pains
Criticism of others
Dug in opinions
Originally Posted by Maudie
Have you met my older sister? ;D Seriously, she has rheumatoid arthritis and is in pain, losing mobility, but her refusal all the years before to do certain things that are better for her and her refusal at this point to do 2 things her dr told her to: stop smoking and give up coffee....she claims those are about all she has left, and I'm trying to convince her that by giving those things up, she might get some stuff back....but I do think her attitude, etc are having an effect. Her job sucks, they do not appreciate her work at all, they've cut back on her hours slightly until sales are up again (she does collections...brings in the money for them), but 6 salesmen sit in the sales office downstairs 5 days a week at full pay and full time in case someone calls in...hey, fire a salesman and give her back hours and a raise...if it were not for her hard work, they'd have shut their doors already. But she really can't find a new job due to the RA so.....catch 22 situation.
My son wears combat boots (and a parachute).
The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

Too much makeup
outdated hair
overly tan
"what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa
Capri pants
Nun shoes
Flat one color dyed hair
Eyebrows drawn on
Visible lip liner (not blended)

I will also add "Quirky". I think people get to a certain age where they don't care what anyone else thinks. That can be a good thing... but, not always. I've seen it take shape in odd animal prints, overly bright floral patterns, ankle bracelets, and ear cuffs.
Too much makeup
outdated hair
overly tan
Originally Posted by Mar
I hope this means curly hair is in

Germany Curly

Last Relaxer(Texturizer): Aug. 2005
BC: May 2006

Too much makeup
outdated hair
overly tan
Originally Posted by Mar
I hope this means curly hair is in
Originally Posted by curlee4life
Curls are ALWAYS in style
"what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa
I think that many of these things are about looking bad, rather than looking old. Things like wearing the wrong size bra or badly fitting clothes (either too tight or too loose) will make anyone look bad. And the type of makeup you can wear depends on the colour and condition of your skin - not everyone wrinkles at the same pace, not all young people can take heavy liner (I already had dark circles under my eyes when I was a teenager.)

I think what makes you appear old - in addition to the stuff about behaviour, being cranky, moving slowly, etc. - is continuing to wear styles that were around when you were younger. At the same time, always trying to wear the latest up-to-the-minute trends, when you clearly aren't a teenager, can also make you look old.

I also think you need to distinguish between "old and falling apart" and "older and sophisticated".
Hair that is colored the wrong color for a woman's skin tone and bleach-blond hair.
2b. Dark Golden Blond. Very fine texture. Medium thickness. Thrilled to find waves!!!
Bad teeth - especially yellowed/stained teeth are aging. Those Crest night time strips are so easy and so effective - they can instantly make someone appear younger, brighter and more lively.
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Ditto the attitude.
Self loathing makes people look old.
I pity people who constantly worry about what they look like, people who feel bad because they look their age instead of looking perpetually 20, people who have been convinced by the media that they will never be perfect, they will never be young again, they should just go live in a cave because they have wrinkles and grey hair.
In contrast - people who enjoy who they are and where they've been, those are the ones who look and act 'young'.
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
I was going to post and then I read what you wrote and see no reason to say the exact same thing! I agree 200% with what you've said. People who fret about their age seem older almost instantly.

Age is like "beauty" -- if you are conscious of creating or preserving it, it forces people to focus on it rather than you.
3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
Twitter: nopoojillipoo
Capri pants
Nun shoes
Flat one color dyed hair
Eyebrows drawn on
Visible lip liner (not blended)

I will also add "Quirky". I think people get to a certain age where they don't care what anyone else thinks. That can be a good thing... but, not always. I've seen it take shape in odd animal prints, overly bright floral patterns, ankle bracelets, and ear cuffs.
Originally Posted by ringlets of fire
Noooooooo!!!! Say it aint so!
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
People often express surprise when they learn my age, and say I look about 10 years younger. Part of it is attitude, I think, but part of it also is that I'm not uber-uber skinny. My sister has been saying for years that a few extra pounds once you hit 40 is good b/c the extra fat in your face helps with the wrinkles - they don't get as deep b/c you've got the extra fat plumping them up.

I'm not saying a woman over 40 shouldn't be fit, but I do think that women who are just skin and bones look older.

Then as if to validate my own thoughts, I just read an article that said that women under 40 who are overweight look older than their years, but women who carry extra weight after 40 look younger than their years.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I agree with all the comments about attitude.

I think the word "old" is used as an insult. What's wrong with looking old if you are old or middle aged if you are middle aged? I hear middle aged women being referred to as "old" when they merely look older than they used to.

Striving to appear decades younger is just as unattractive as total inattention to one's appearance.

I totally disagree about scarves and capris!

Ditto the attitude.
Self loathing makes people look old.
I pity people who constantly worry about what they look like, people who feel bad because they look their age instead of looking perpetually 20, people who have been convinced by the media that they will never be perfect, they will never be young again, they should just go live in a cave because they have wrinkles and grey hair.
In contrast - people who enjoy who they are and where they've been, those are the ones who look and act 'young'.
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
cg Dec 08
fine to med texture w/ some coarse / high porosity 2c to 3a

I hate when I'm at the pharmacy, and near the makeup and skincare products which are supposed to be targeted toward older women, there are photos of models in their 20s. I don't want to look like I'm in my 20s.
i think as long as the woman does not buy into age limits then she is young. if the woman does not change herself to fit her age then she is never old.
"I hate when I'm at the pharmacy, and near the makeup and skincare products which are supposed to be targeted toward older women, there are photos of models in their 20s. I don't want to look like I'm in my 20s." - Malory

Just like in the ads in the magazines for the anti-aging skin creams never show a woman in the age group that they are targeting, UNLESS said model has obviously had a LOT of medical work done(like Botox, peels, retinoids, etc), far beyond the capabilities of the largely useless cream that is advertised. The stuff that really works(medical-grade skincare and procedures) is never advertised. Meanwhile that 20-year-old model is held up as THE standard of perfection that even few 20-year-olds can match, let along someone in their 40s and up!
Whatever one's resources, at a certain point, one has to go with the face one has, and trying too hard at this point can make one look older than one is, actually. A lighter hand in general works better, whether it comes to makeup, certain skin care, or even procedures, if one is in that market(I'm not, for sure - I can barely even use ordinary skin creams, let alone anything "strong"!)
I think it has a lot to do with how we carry ourselves when we get older. Good posture is a must. Also, I agree that when you get older you shouldn't be too skinny, but the mid-life waist bulge is another age defining attribute.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
"I think it has a lot to do with how we carry ourselves when we get older. Good posture is a must. Also, I agree that when you get older you shouldn't be too skinny, but the mid-life waist bulge is another age defining attribute." - Lotsawaves

I'm totally in agreement here too - even if one's face is, shall we say, "weathered", if one has an energetic spring in one's step and great posture, one looks a lot younger than someone with a doll-like face that's had a lot of work, but from the neck down with lousy posture, etc. Keeping the mid-section under control is not only about looking younger but also for health reasons. Any extra fat gained around the mid-section especially at and post-menopause, when it commonly happens, and on the upper body in general is more dangerous, especially if the woman was previously slim, than someone who was overweight all their life, due to the type of fat gained. This mid-section fat, plus upper body fat greatly increases the risk of several different types of cancer, as well as heart disease and diabetes. Google "syndrome X" and you will find out plenty on this score. Keep the mid-section down, and you will be younger in the sense that you will have DECREASED your risk of serious degenerative diseases.
"I hate when I'm at the pharmacy, and near the makeup and skincare products which are supposed to be targeted toward older women, there are photos of models in their 20s. I don't want to look like I'm in my 20s." - Malory

Just like in the ads in the magazines for the anti-aging skin creams never show a woman in the age group that they are targeting, UNLESS said model has obviously had a LOT of medical work done(like Botox, peels, retinoids, etc), far beyond the capabilities of the largely useless cream that is advertised. The stuff that really works(medical-grade skincare and procedures) is never advertised. Meanwhile that 20-year-old model is held up as THE standard of perfection that even few 20-year-olds can match, let along someone in their 40s and up!
Whatever one's resources, at a certain point, one has to go with the face one has, and trying too hard at this point can make one look older than one is, actually. A lighter hand in general works better, whether it comes to makeup, certain skin care, or even procedures, if one is in that market(I'm not, for sure - I can barely even use ordinary skin creams, let alone anything "strong"!)
Originally Posted by cara4art
ITA

Germany Curly

Last Relaxer(Texturizer): Aug. 2005
BC: May 2006

Too much liner under the eyes.

Trending Topics