what do you think makes a woman look old?

The "no long hair when you're over 40" thread got me thinking about this topic.

We seem to agree that long hair doesn't necessarily make someone look old, but what does? I think these things tend to make a woman over 40 look older than she is:

dark lip or nail color
heavy eyeliner, and wearing too much makeup in general
"mom" (high-waist) jeans
scarves, unless they're worn with a coat for warmth
chunky, colorful jewelry
hats
wire-rimmed glasses
haircolor that's too dark

Are there any other opinions out there?

Last edited by Verity; 12-08-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Poor-fitting clothing. It may be high waisted, and it may not. But not all high waisted jeans are mom jeans. Pleats look bad on nearly much everyone - pleated and high waisted makes you look like you never lost the baby fat.

Unflattering colors - makeup and hair. Going monochrome where the hair and skin colors match.
Not adjusting makeup to changes in skin. My mom's skin tone is more even than it used to be, but her foundation didn't look good on it. Now moisturizer and loose powder look SO much better/younger.

Out of date or unflattering styles. Clothing meant to bag out or fit tightly both tend to be aging.
The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
-Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
I think that being stuck in a style rut makes you look old. Wearing the same hairstyle, makeup and clothes you wore in high school doesn't work.

I also think that trying to look like your teenager also makes you look old. Even if she's in fantastic shape and otherwise young-looking, if a woman in her forties tries to dress like she's 15, she looks silly and old.
"Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas
-----------------------------------------------
My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
Password: orphanannie
Bad posture

Moving slow

Not smiling and laughing
I have finally realized I look my best when my hair tells me how it is going to fall, and I just make suggestions.

3A BSL
This may not necessarily fall under the category of appearance, but I think these things affect our appearance.

Complaining
A bad attitude
A negative outlook
Self centeredness
Rehearsing aches and pains
Criticism of others
Dug in opinions
Maudie
Ditto the attitude.
Self loathing makes people look old.
I pity people who constantly worry about what they look like, people who feel bad because they look their age instead of looking perpetually 20, people who have been convinced by the media that they will never be perfect, they will never be young again, they should just go live in a cave because they have wrinkles and grey hair.
In contrast - people who enjoy who they are and where they've been, those are the ones who look and act 'young'.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
they should just go live in a cave because they have wrinkles and grey hair.
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
It's not just the media. I read several message boards, and many people who are under 30 do feel this way. It's hard not to internalize some of our society's loathing for those who are no longer young.
I think unhealthy skin and hair age you prematurely. Healthy vitality is youthful. So smoking, damaged hair, too much Sun, lack ot exercise, etc....

After that, I think matronly clothes are a bad, bad, thing.
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
they should just go live in a cave because they have wrinkles and grey hair.
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
It's not just the media. I read several message boards, and many people who are under 30 do feel this way. It's hard not to internalize some of our society's loathing for those who are no longer young.
Originally Posted by Verity
And isn't that a sad thing? In some parts of the world, that isn't the case. People age without shame and are even looked up to in some cultures. Imagine that!

I don't let it bother me tho. When I hit 50, my old worries about aging just vanished. I love my wild grey hair, I can certainly tolerate the wrinkles and age spots on my face and will continue to go out in the sun and wind. There are lots of lotions and potions for my winter-dried skin. I'll wear my hair long or short whether it's flattering or not - I'm all about pleasing me not the world. And I'll continue to buy my clothes in the juniors department because I like them.
If all those things make me look 'old' then so be it. I've had a blast getting here!
In Western PA
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Most of this isn't necessarily age related - just things that can make anyone look unappealing and unattractive!
2C/3A/3B - modified CG - med./fine, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, YTCarrots or Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite, KCCC, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
I have always thought too much makeup can make you look old. Then I got "old" and realized the problem is a lot of older women can't see. They have no idea if they have a little or a lot of makeup on. I remember my mother once had it caked around her hairline. I knew she had bad eyes and realized she couldn't see it. Well, I have her bad eyes. Half the time I can't tell if I am putting it on too thick or not.

Guess what can really make you look old is not just accepting that you are the age you are; maybe this falls under attitude as mentioned before.
3b/c
And isn't that a sad thing? In some parts of the world, that isn't the case. People age without shame and are even looked up to in some cultures. Imagine that!

I don't let it bother me tho. When I hit 50, my old worries about aging just vanished. I love my wild grey hair, I can certainly tolerate the wrinkles and age spots on my face and will continue to go out in the sun and wind. There are lots of lotions and potions for my winter-dried skin. I'll wear my hair long or short whether it's flattering or not - I'm all about pleasing me not the world. And I'll continue to buy my clothes in the juniors department because I like them.
If all those things make me look 'old' then so be it. I've had a blast getting here!
[/quote]
a friend of mine describes menopause as nature's way of saying "ok die now b--ch". i disagree.
jeep you awesome girl you! i love the sun and outdoors, use burts bees carrot cream as my only beauty aid with unpetroleum jelly around the eyes. i had a fun conversation with my 93 yr old aunt. here is a pic of us. she is a grande dame. her beauty secrets:
she gets foundation specially made for her skin tone
no eye makeup, she says at her age it makes people look older or have dirty looking eyes
clothes that fit and are classic

she told me that if i lived in the city i would wear makeup and be more chic. that'll be the day jeep i wish u lived closer...
banjo
Attached Thumbnails
what do you think makes a woman look old?-112108susanselmasm.jpg  
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
Speckla
People who stress about getting older look older! Life is too short to worry about every little wrinkle and grey hair. Let your hair down and enjoy life!
Banjocurl: You and your aunt are beautiful!

What makes a woman look old?

Dark lipstick, especially dark matte, brown lipstick
Brown blusher
Too much eye makeup
Too much foundation and the wrong color foundation
An overly powdered face
Hair that's too dark
Hair that doesn't move
Mom jeans (high waist, tapered, faded)
Clothes meant for teens and under 25's (mutton dressed as lamb)
Baggy, frumpy clothes--the "I give up" look
I'll add glittery or frosty cosmetics. They just don't work with wrinkles.
jeep i wish u lived closer...
banjo
Originally Posted by banjocurl;
Oh Banjo, we could get into some good trouble, I mean FUN, together!! 2 old ladies not acting their age!!
: )
In Western PA
I have always thought too much makeup can make you look old. Then I got "old" and realized the problem is a lot of older women can't see. They have no idea if they have a little or a lot of makeup on. I remember my mother once had it caked around her hairline. I knew she had bad eyes and realized she couldn't see it. Well, I have her bad eyes. Half the time I can't tell if I am putting it on too thick or not.

Guess what can really make you look old is not just accepting that you are the age you are; maybe this falls under attitude as mentioned before.
Originally Posted by munchkin
That's so true! I finally realized my mother had that problem, and I got her a lighted 8X makeup mirror and she's much improved.

Just since I hit 52 a few months ago, I've suddenly gotten more and more far-sighted (I was later than most because one eye started out very near-sighted) and the regular magnified side of my makeup mirror wasn't enough to see for plucking. I got a 8X mirror with suction cups to stick on there and was horrified at everything I could now see, LOL! Of course, no one else could see most of it without it, either. I don't use it for applying makeup - that's just too anal! - but I do do a final check with it to be sure I have everything applied and blended OK.

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, YTCarrots or Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite, KCCC, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
thanks winifred. my aunt is amazing, at 93 she does not break any of the rules below and while she does not look exactly young, she does not look like a grotesque caricature but a put together real person. i am sometimes guilty of the baggy frumpy look but it sure is comfortable!

Banjocurl: You and your aunt are beautiful!

What makes a woman look old?

Dark lipstick, especially dark matte, brown lipstick
Brown blusher
Too much eye makeup
Too much foundation and the wrong color foundation
An overly powdered face
Hair that's too dark
Hair that doesn't move
Mom jeans (high waist, tapered, faded)
Clothes meant for teens and under 25's (mutton dressed as lamb)
Baggy, frumpy clothes--the "I give up" look
Originally Posted by winifred
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
This may not necessarily fall under the category of appearance, but I think these things affect our appearance.

Complaining
A bad attitude
A negative outlook
Self centeredness
Criticism of others
Dug in opinions
Originally Posted by Maudie
Good list

Skin that's washed out not enough color
Too darkly dyed hair
Clothes that are too young--I'm talking decades here.
Too prominent makeup (it's not blended well or is applied with a trowel)
A badly fitting bra
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.

Complaining
A bad attitude
A negative outlook
Self centeredness
Criticism of others
Dug in opinions
Originally Posted by Maudie
Good list

Skin that's washed out not enough color
Too darkly dyed hair
Clothes that are too young--I'm talking decades here.
Too prominent makeup (it's not blended well or is applied with a trowel)
A badly fitting bra
Originally Posted by Suburbanbushbabe
Oh, yeah, a good bra can take years and pounds off, LOL!

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Trending Topics