Religion, Faith, Spiritualism....

Now that you are older and realize your mortality, do you still have the same beliefs you did when you were younger?

I'm much more spiritual now. I don't participate in "organized religion."
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
I do and I don't. I was raised Catholic and even though I don't necessarily agree with them, I do still consider myself to be Catholic.... kind of.

I am the same as you, I am more spiritual and less about going to Church and participating in organized religion.
Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
I was raised a Catholic. After my confirmation at 18 I never went back to church. I've studied many religions over the years and I find value in some of them. I'm an Atheist, my 'Gods' are Mother Earth and Father Time, I don't believe in an afterlife. I try to be a good person, help others, help animals and the earth, and try to live a full life.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
I was also raised Catholic (is there a theme here?) and stopped attending church in my 20s. It never felt right to me, even as a small child. I think, even though I couldn't have articulated it at the time, that there were too many "man-made" rules that were so controlling (especially where women were concerned) and just didn't make sense to me. After leaving the Catholic church, I tried attending some of my friends' churches but found the same issues there.

So, I began seeking out information, studied bunches of other world religions, new-age-y stuff, etc. until I hit upon a spiritual connection that felt right to me. Actually, I returned to the connection that I felt as a toddler-age child. Any time I had a question, I would just ask it in my head, and in a little while the answer would come to me. Um, I wasn't hearing voices or anything, this took place in my "thoughts" so to speak. It wasn't until years later when I was taking a class to learn how to meditate that I realized that's what I used to do!

These days I don't participate in any type of organized religion. Like jeepcurlygurl, I also focus on being a good person and trying to help others whenever I can. I feel more alive and more spiritual being outdoors and seeing the wonders of nature than I ever did inside the walls of a church.
[quote="B- I feel more alive and more spiritual being outdoors and seeing the wonders of nature than I ever did inside the walls of a church.[/quote]

Psalm 19:1-4, where the Psalmist says: “The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world.”
The New Testament also speaks of this in a similar fashion in Romans 1:20, where it is said: “For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities - his eternal power and divine nature - have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.”
It is amazing to think that after all Satan has done to destroy the creation around us, the world still declares God’s glory! To realize this afresh, we have only to spend some time out in the natural world. Have we ever wondered why it is so refreshing to be out in the woods or beside the lake? The answer is simple. Everything in nature is doing exactly what the Father has commanded. The birds are building nests and migrating just as they were instructed. All nature is straining to bring forth fruit and to accomplish its other God-given functions.
When we consider man, we begin to realize the true dimensions of the fall recorded in Genesis chapter three. We find that man, unlike the animals, the birds, and all the rest of the created order, is not responding according to the divine program. He is, in fact, “doing his own thing.” What if the birds or animals chose such a course? What if the birds simply said, “This year we refuse to fly those thousands of miles in order to migrate.” The answer would be obvious. They would all freeze to death in the north-country, or perish for lack of food.

Yes, many churches have fallen away from the true "religion", but don't let MAN cause you to perish. There are many good BIBLE-BASED non-denominational churches that teach grace, not law. Jesus taught us to NOT live as a rule-enforcing pharisee, but as a humble follower of Him. I pray that you ladies find your way back to Him before it's too late.....
I don't want to guano Lotsawaves' thread, but I do feel compelled to address Chicki's post. Chicki, I hear what you're saying and I do believe there are good churches out there. I don't believe I have to attend one to be considered "good" or "spiritual" in God's eyes.

One of the most interesting things I learned in reading about other religions is that they're more alike than they are different. There a quote (I believe it's from the Tao Te Ching if I remember correctly) that goes something like "The paths are many, the result is One.", and I totally agree with that. I don't think there's any one right way or wrong way to express our spirituality. We all have to follow our hearts on that one. For me personally that means going direct to the source. It's not that I have anything against Jesus (or Buddha or whomever), I'd just rather talk directly to the big guy....or gal as the case may be.
Well, I was raised a Mormon, knew it was not for me right from childhood. Traveled a good deal, so I've attended many churches and met people of many faiths. I also studied a good bit of comparative religion in college. Then, while living in Britain and seeing the wonderful Celtic sites of worship, many of which were simply renamed in Christian times by sticking a "St." in front of the name of the local deity, I found a belief system that was like coming home. So today, I'm a feminist and a goddess worshipper, & spirituality is very important in my life. I belong to the Unitarian church because I like the social justice causes they work for, the community involvement. And I enjoy the rosary as a meditation. I say mine to St Brigit and do a pagan form of it. I learned from my Hindu friend that her religion also has the rosary, called the mala, much more ancient than the christian version, but all the same path.
3B, bra-strap length
laidback, very-modified CGer
HG: GF Sleek 'n Shine Leave-in; Alagio
I don't want to guano Lotsawaves' thread, but I do feel compelled to address Chicki's post. Chicki, I hear what you're saying and I do believe there are good churches out there. I don't believe I have to attend one to be considered "good" or "spiritual" in God's eyes.

One of the most interesting things I learned in reading about other religions is that they're more alike than they are different. There a quote (I believe it's from the Tao Te Ching if I remember correctly) that goes something like "The paths are many, the result is One.", and I totally agree with that. I don't think there's any one right way or wrong way to express our spirituality. We all have to follow our hearts on that one. For me personally that means going direct to the source. It's not that I have anything against Jesus (or Buddha or whomever), I'd just rather talk directly to the big guy....or gal as the case may be.
Originally Posted by B-wavy
Hi B-wavy

1) You're right, you don't have to attend church to be considered "good" or "spiritual" in God's eyes. The true CHURCH is simply the followers of Jesus. It is not a building as many think of it today. There is a big difference between church people and followers of Jesus. People who say that the church is the hope of the world may be in danger of producing church people. People who say that the love and grace and freedom through Jesus are the hopes of the world might be following the real-deal Jesus. They might be the ones seeing fireworks in their community as they love and serve it instead of being "too busy" trying to figure out how to pull fireworks within their church walls.

But in "church" buildings, many believers/followers gather together, fellowship with one another, teach, learn, and help one another. "And all that believed were together, and had all things common; and sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need." (Acts 2:44-45)

2) The path: All of us know about roads. There are long and short roads, straight and crooked roads, smooth and bumpy roads, and wide
and narrow roads.

In Matthew 7:13-14, Jesus called attention to a wide road and a narrow road.
The wide road leads to destruction, or hell.
On this road, Jesus said there are many people.
The narrow road, He said leads to heaven and eternal life.
There are only a few traveling this road,
Jesus said.

3) The way: John 14:6 Jesus answered " I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

4) The "Source" and Jesus are one : John 1:1, 14 In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning.....The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

5) You don't have to be actively against Jesus to oppose Him. Matthew 12:30, Luke 11:23 He that is not with me is against me.

6) "Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son. Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father." (1 John 2:22, 23) The Bible sets forth Jesus as the eternal Son of God. (John 1:1) Jesus came to this world to provide a way for men to be saved.

Jesus Himself said, "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him." (John 3:36)

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

You cannot ignore Jesus and expect to get to God.

Good night
Lotsawaves' original post asked this question:

Now that you are older and realize your mortality, do you still have the same beliefs you did when you were younger?
Originally Posted by Lotsawaves
Can we get back to it please? Thank you.
I started this thread not for us to argue religion, but to find out where we at this time in our lives and if our beliefs have changed. My Mother is 74 and she has found her comfort in attending a Church. I have found mine elsewhere. I feel closer to God while working in my garden more so than in a Church and she is the opposite. It's a personal choice and both should be respected. I feel sad when someone gets upset because people don't agree with their choice.

ETA: Edited my last sentence, becuz it made no sense.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
Good morning Lotsawaves,
I didn't mean to come across as "upset" because I'm not. I made sure I used smiley faces to avoid that misunderstanding

But since I'm older and more mature, no I don't believe what I believed as a child. Thank God
Good morning, Chicki.

All's good. I just don't want this thread turning into a debate. I've noticed we don't have moderators here. I think it's because they feel us older curlies can keep it civil. Let's not prove them wrong.
From Michael Berg:

I'm much more spiritual now. I don't participate in "organized religion."
Originally Posted by Lotsawaves
Surprisingly, yes pretty much. I was raised in the church and it is still the foundation of how I live my life, despite the fact things haven't always gone as planned for what was my idea of a Christian's life (two divorces and a couple of situations I never thought I'd find myself in). Through growth, I see that going through unexpected circumstances gives us compassion for others.

I definitely believe in God and that through the Bible, He has given us direction on how to come to Him through Jesus and be able to go to Heaven .. or not. I am active in church and surrounding myself with my Christian family and friends keeps me grounded and spiritually strong - I couldn't go it alone!
CG-modified since 4/05
2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets.
Best definition winner: KCCC
Best volume winner: LOOB
I never was religious when I was young and I'm not now. For me, it's an "I don't get it" thing. Like being tone deaf. I believe in being moral and doing the right thing, but it's not based on religion.
I was raised Catholic,but never really knew WHY I "believed" what I did.
As an adult,I studied my Catholic Christian faith and found the anwers to all of my questions.
My faith in God/Jesus has been and up and down kind of thing,but that's ME-He is ALWAYS there.
I belive in an afterlife-call it heaven if you want-and I believ I will see my departed loved ones there one day
"what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa

Trending Topics