Spinoff: who here is a grandma?

Lotsawaves' post about her granddaughter saying her name was so timely -- DH and I just found out this past Friday that his youngest daughter is pregnant! This will be his first grandchild, and I am thrilled to become a step-grandma. Man, I can't wait to be buying some baby clothes! No kidding, every time I'm in a store and walk by the baby stuff, I practically start drooling over the cute little-bitty clothes. It's probably a little soon for that though, she isn't due til November.

The way they told us was so cute. DD is almost a mini-Martha Stewart, very creative, very organized, etc. She and her husband came over Friday night for dinner. As soon as they were in the door, they handed us a pretty little spring-green leather photo album that said "Our Story" on the front, and they said that DH and I needed to sit down and look at the pictures together and we had to read the captions on the pictures. I said "Oooh, are these house pictures?" (because they are in the midst of building a new house), and they said yes.

So we sit down, and the pictures are captioned similarly to the American Express commercials. For instance, the first one is of the bulldozer plowing up the land on their property, and its caption says "Breaking ground for our new house: $5,000", and the next 4 or 5 pictures continue on in that way throughout the different phases of construction. Then you turn the page and there is a picture of an adorable little baby sitting there with a Santa hat on its head, and the caption says "Having to decorate another room before Christmas: PRICELESS!!"

It took about a half a nano-second for me, and I looked at her and said "NO!! Are you??" She's smiling and nodding, and I leaped up to hug her and our SIL. Her dad is not quite catching on yet because he wasn't reading the captions, but he finally gets it and we all laugh about that.

Sorry this is so long, but I can't wait to be a grandmother!! So who else is one, and what stories do you want to share?
CONGRATULATIONS! What a great story.

I have 3 granchildren, 4, 2, & 1. Each birth was wonderful, but you'll never forget the experience of the 1st, especially when it's your daughter. When I got the call she was at the hospital, I rushed right over. When I got to the nurses station I started crying. I had trouble getting the words out to tell them who I was looking for. At 1st they were alarmed that something was wrong, then they thought it was sweet that I was so excited. The whole family was sitting in the waiting room when my SIL showed up holding a little bundle. His Mom jumped over a ocktail table and almost fell on her face. We all ended up at the nursery window crying our eyes out. When I got to my daughters room she was crying very hard and I was concerned about her. When she saw me she said "I love her so much, Mama." I told her I understood and held her in my arms.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
I got lucky. When my daughter married, I got two grandkids, along with a great son in law. Then they had a son. Right now the count is, one step-granddaughter, one step-grandson, one grandson, and one step great-granddaughter. It's s o much fun to have grandkids.
What a WONDERFUL day!!
Awwww, Lotsawaves, you're making me cry! They're happy tears though. Even though I get along very well with all three of my stepkids, I am probably closest with this one. She lives the closest, I've spent the most time with her, she and I have similar personalities and similar likes and dislikes, etc. I told her on her wedding day that I couldn't love her any more if she were my own daughter, and now I'm about ready to burst thinking of her having a baby!

I can't wait to join the Grandma Club with you and reeni and everyone else. And if anyone has any grandma advice to share, bring it on!
My advice is to be patient, bite your tongue and be there for your daughter. I learned that times have changed and they don't raise babies the way I did. I was told to put them on their tummies. Now they say babies have died that way. It's on the back now. I was told not to do that becuz they could spit up and strangle on it. Parents today are very structured. Babies aren't given water for a long time. I remember giving mine water right after they were born. (with a little sugar added) With my 1st 2 grandchildren, I felt stupid and irresponsible. I thought I could teach my daughters, but they ended up teaching me. (the new way) I loved when my youngest had her 2nd child. She had her hands full with the 1st one and was a more relaxed Mom. My granddaughter was handed to me and I was told "Do whatever you want. Just help me." It was then that I truly enjoyed being a grandmother. The funny thing is that she is much more easy going then the other 2 who were born before her. Oh, and get ready to spend money. I can't resist buying them things. I have a playroom in my house and I add to it each weekend. They love coming to Nana's house to play.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
I fell in love with my grandson the second I saw him. We went to the hospital and he was in the room and I got to hold him when he was just a few hours old.
When my daughter had to go back to work, I got to watch him three days a week from when he was two months old to when he started kindergarten.
Fortunately, my daughter & I have the same ideas about child rearing, so we didn't have any problems there. In fact, I think I'm strickter than she is! But loves coming here, and we even took him on vacatioin with us a couple of times.
My advice is to just enjoy your grandchildren. Oh and learn how to put the carseat in the car(back seat, rear facing) before you take them with you ,because it's embaressing to be fooling around trying to latch all the latches and securing it so it doesn't move. Then it starts raining,your backside has been sticking out the door, fo it seems like forever, and you're getting a cramp from bending over so long. So you take the baby out of the carseat, and back into the house, calm yourself down, and try it again only this time without the baby in it.
But , you know ...it's all worth it because you're taking this precious little bundle to visit Grandpa at work and show him off.
What a WONDERFUL day!!
LOL at the car seat thing, reeni! I've actually started worrying about stuff like this already. There was a commercial on TV last night and I noticed a baby in a car seat and thought "Holy crap, I don't have a clue how to work one of those things!" Thank you for confirming my paranoid suspicions. (jk)

Lotsawaves, I had also been wondering how different things are today from the last time I had much of anything to do with an infant...back in the stone age in my babysitting days...so, yeah, you confirmed that for me too. A few months ago I was looking all over the place for one of those dishes they used to make -- the divided kind that you could put warm water in the bottom to help keep the baby food warm (this was for one of my kitties but that's another story). Couldn't find one any where. It finally dawned on me that they were no longer necessary with the advent of that new-fangled invention - *ta-da* - the microwave! Boy, did I feel like a fossil.
The car seat thing happened to me . I was so glad that no one was around to witness my "fun". At least, I hope no one was watching from behind their curtains. HAHA

I looked for one of those divided plates, too. DUH!!

But it's really not a hard job looking after grandkids, and they're so forgiving when we do "gramma stuff".
What a WONDERFUL day!!
I am going to be a GREAT AUNT
My 19 yr old niece is pregnant and due late summer-I have a 20 yr old....scary,could be ME
"what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa
I am a grandma to a little boy named Maleko, he is 19 months, and just the sweetest little guy. There is nothing like being a grandma. My daughter is now pregnant with my 2nd grandbaby, who is due to arrive in Nov.
Congratulations, Mar! I am a great-aunt too. It still seems weird to me to think of myself that way though. When I was a kid "great-aunts" were reaaaaally old. Now I'm wondering if they just seemed so old because I was so young, or if people are just having kids at younger ages now, thus making us great-aunts at younger ages.

Paulie, it looks like your 2nd grandbaby and my 1st will be arriving around the same time, we'll have to start a baby-watch closer to the time!

Yesterday I made a small Easter basket to give to my step-daughter & son-in-law since they're coming over for dinner tomorrow. Besides the usual candy, etc., I added a small, very soft Winnie-the-Pooh and put 3 pairs of W-t-P baby socks inside plastic eggs. I just couldn't wait any longer to buy some baby stuff, and this seemed like the perfect opportunity! When is it okay to start buying stuff? In the stone age, it was considered "bad luck" to buy stuff too early in the pregnancy. I think DD is about 10 or so weeks along now, so do you all think it's okay if I start buying some onesies here and some bibs there and save bigger items til closer to the due date?
DD miscarried last week. She started bleeding on Monday morning, went to her doc, and they couldn't find a heartbeat, so she had a D & C on Thursday. She is doing well though....sad, of course, but she and her hubby are relying on their faith and each other to get them through. They will try again as soon as they are ready. I was too sad to post this last week. Anyway, just wanted to let you all know.
B-wavy, I'm so sorry for your family's loss.
Maudie
B-Wavy, I'm so sorry.I know what you're going through. My daughter miscarried at two months, but was pregnant again before she even had a period.(her dr said it was OK to try again) My grandson is now 11.

{{{HUGS}}} to you and your family
What a WONDERFUL day!!
Thanks for your kind words, Maudie and reeni. I know she'll be fine, she's going to be a great mom....I just prayed so hard that she wouldn't have to go through this.
I have 3 kids 27, 25, 24, and 3 steps, 27, 25, 23, and in July I will have 10 grands, 9, 6, 5, 5, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, and the one that's in the making. If the ultrasound is right, I will have 5 boys and 5 girls. Oh, and I'm 45 and my Hubby is 46!!!!! I don't bother trying to sort out step grands from the other grands, they're all Grand! Oh, and the oldest, a 9 yo girl, we're raising.
BWavy, my deepest sympathy to your family. If anyone says "You're young, you can have another" slap them! It diminishes the one that was lost. In my heart I count the 5 grands that were lost as well as the ones that are here.

Trending Topics