Has anyone had to pretty much give up on anti-aging skincare?

In the spirit of the "allowing oneself to go grey" thread, here's another question to consider - has anyone given up on anti-aging skincare for one reason or another, or never got into it in the first place? After awhile, it would seem that one gets to a point(whereever that is, for whatever reason)one gets tired of the special creams, etc. not to mention the great expense, of anti-aging skincare that often promises far more than it delivers, unless one is willing to get Rx retinoids, procedures, etc.
In my case, as in my last two posts in the "newbie to active skincare here" thread, I was motivated by my last skincare disaster which resulted in a chemical burn that took a good while of TLC to get past, and I'm still spooked, 5 months later. Still can't even wear sunblock, so I'm only doing basic cleansing and moisturizing, during the day with Cetaphil Cream(works better under makeup)and my own shea butter-coconut oil combo at night, with occasional exfoliation. The only thing I added recently was my old favorite exfoliating cleanser, the Neutrogena Pore Refining one that works very well for me although it is detergent-based. But that's as far as I'm willing to go at this stage of the game at age 61.
How many of you feel the same way, and why?
health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
I am very research oriented, and especially look for scientific back up. I have distilled my skincare down to the basics of what is scientifically proven to improve not only previous damage and current appearance, but future decline as well.

I am thrilled with the protocol I have been using going on the 4th year now (wish I had startd sooner), as is my derm.
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
Hi rudeechick! What do you use that is so good, and do you have skin that can take treatments? I know this makes a big difference too. Like you, I am very research-oriented. However, even though I know the drill about retinoids, AHAs vitamin C, sunblock etc, my skin either does not respond, or just freaks out, even with stuff that is much less aggressive than these. I did go to a couple of medical spas but they wanted to put me on the full line of Obagi products for sun damage, and I know that is a very aggressive program, plus they recommended IPL treatments. When I read what was involved, I backed slowly away! This spa did not listen to me when I said that I had somewhat sensitive skin either - they just wanted to get me onto ALL this stuff which I just KNOW my skin would have been an angry red mess, even worse than last summer's disaster. I've had other disasters too, but not as bad as last summer's.
I'm glad you have found something that works for you though. I can't go to a derm right now.
I had to give up because of dry, extremely sensitive skin. My skin reacted to the special creams. I use a good cream for dry skin nowadays and it seems to do a better job.
Hi rudeechick! What do you use that is so good, and do you have skin that can take treatments? I know this makes a big difference too. Like you, I am very research-oriented. However, even though I know the drill about retinoids, AHAs vitamin C, sunblock etc, my skin either does not respond, or just freaks out, even with stuff that is much less aggressive than these. I did go to a couple of medical spas but they wanted to put me on the full line of Obagi products for sun damage, and I know that is a very aggressive program, plus they recommended IPL treatments. When I read what was involved, I backed slowly away! This spa did not listen to me when I said that I had somewhat sensitive skin either - they just wanted to get me onto ALL this stuff which I just KNOW my skin would have been an angry red mess, even worse than last summer's disaster. I've had other disasters too, but not as bad as last summer's.
I'm glad you have found something that works for you though. I can't go to a derm right now.
Originally Posted by cara4curls
I am very fair (aka burnt more times then I care to think about). My skin was oily as a teen and younger adult. My pores are slack and my skin is VERY sensitive and I would say on the thin side.... Currently I am getting those perimenopausal cystic breakouts in the chin area.

For the past 4 years my routine is thus:

AM: water wash, (I wait 5 to 10 min btwn the following apps): apply Skincueticals C E Ferulic acid then apply Prevage followed by revale Day Cream with SPF or Kinerase with SPF and kinerase eye cream. In the Summer if I will be outdoors alot I sub the last with Anthelios Day cream.

PM: Wash with Cetaphil, wait 20 minutes. Apply Renova 2.5. (In winter I follow that with Kinerase). On alternating nights I simply apply Kinerase face and eye creams.

I exfoliate every other day in the shower with a mild, synthetic scrub mixed with the Cetaphil. And I use mineral makeup that acts as an additional SPF.

I saw VISIBLE reduction in the fine lines I was developing by my eyes and mouth the first year using the C serum and the prevage, as well as the Renova. I swear by them. I have also outright avoided sun exposure the past 2 years.
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
Speckla
I'm getting lines and wrinkles now that my older family member don't have but they have oily skin and mine tends to be dry. I'm looking to have the healtiest skin I can have without going to extreme measures. I think well cared for skin looks wonderful vs. lineless skin by artificial means.

Good makeup helps a lot. It's backwards to clease your face and then put on bad makeup. I found a good mineral powder foundation that doesn't accent the lines I have. I'm not going to try to look 20 or 30 when I'm 40 but I might as well be the best 40 I can be. (when I get there in 6 years).

Last edited by Speckla; 12-22-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Since I feel that part of facial aging is environmentally related, I have no problems trying to combat that. Sunscreen and not smoking help a great deal, and finding a routine that works with my oily, sensitive, rosacean skin helps keep me having a pretty good face.
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
I've never gotten into expensive skincare. I just like to keep things simple and cheap and I don't mind that I look my age. I have sun damage, wrinkles, and scars and don't plan on doing anything to reverse it. That's just me tho.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
Speckla
I've never gotten into expensive skincare. I just like to keep things simple and cheap and I don't mind that I look my age. I have sun damage, wrinkles, and scars and don't plan on doing anything to reverse it. That's just me tho.
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
Healthy eating, regular exercise, and gorgeous long curls are my goals for combating aging. Who cares about facial wrinkles when you have a smokin' bod?
I've never worried too much about wrinkles because they are going to happen anyway, and I have skin that is genetically predisposed to showing signs of aging early.

I could do without the mid-life breakouts though.

I rely on retin-a, especially in the summer, to keep breakouts to a minimum. In the winter I can use it only infrequently.

I do oil cleansing with a water soluble oil and consider this the most important change I made to my routine.

I use vanicream 60 spf for sensitive skin (I'm allergic to synethic sunscreens).

I can't use any whitening toothpastes because they make the skin around my mouth blister.

There are very few commercial products that I like and can use, so it's a simple routine by necessity. I've never found that diet plays a role for me, but I eat a healthy balanced diet, exercise, drink lots of fluid etc.

I think I'll look better when I'm older and my face is more settled.
formerly Castella
(my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
Has anyone had success with DMAE? I've been using it for a couple of months and don't really see a difference.
3c
Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
CoWash: VO5 kiwi
Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
I've been using DMAE since April and saw a difference within the first 2 months. I think I'm mostly maintaining that now.
I'm not at that stage yet, but there are times when I'm tempted to chuck it all.
My mom has always thought that way (not worrying about wrinkles). She's had excessively oily skin through her life, and especially when her hormones were changing. She's never used anti-wrinkle things, and actually rarely uses sunscreen. I think she's looking nice for 64, but she's my mom so I'm not entirely objective.
There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
I've been using DMAE since April and saw a difference within the first 2 months. I think I'm mostly maintaining that now.
Originally Posted by cynaminbear
Well, I'm on my second little jar so I'll keep it up. Thanks. Do you use it once or twice a day? I mostly do once.
3c
Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
CoWash: VO5 kiwi
Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
I am not too concerned about wrinkles,but my skin has absolutely gone HAYWIRE the past 4 months.
I can no longer use my beloved Proactiv,which served me so well for almost 13 years-it is just too drying.
My skin is itchy,red and dry-ESPECIALLY my eyes!-and I cannot figure out what kind of a skincare regimine to use.
It is also still breaking out,but any kind of acne med is too harsh.
I have asked my dr for a referral to a dermatologist and am waiting for him to get back to me.
Ugh-I hate this
"what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa
Hi mar! wow - I feel your pain! In this case, you're wise to get to that dermatologist that your doctor is going to refer you to. Good luck and hope your skin gets better with the right regimen. It's a drag when one's skin could use some treatment, but the skin won't let you. I can attest to that. I've had to forgo the derm for the forseeable future, and just go with very simple stuff. But I don't have breakouts, so that helps in my case, just sensitive skin.
Originally Posted by cynaminbear
Well, I'm on my second little jar so I'll keep it up. Thanks. Do you use it once or twice a day? I mostly do once.
Originally Posted by mandyv
At the time I think I used it twice a day for a couple of weeks, then backed off to only in the morning. I went through it too quickly using it twice daily. The most impressive change has been my deep 11s between the brows have softened up. They're still there, just not as severe.

I am not too concerned about wrinkles,but my skin has absolutely gone HAYWIRE the past 4 months.
I can no longer use my beloved Proactiv,which served me so well for almost 13 years-it is just too drying.
My skin is itchy,red and dry-ESPECIALLY my eyes!-and I cannot figure out what kind of a skincare regimine to use.
It is also still breaking out,but any kind of acne med is too harsh.
I have asked my dr for a referral to a dermatologist and am waiting for him to get back to me.
Ugh-I hate this
Originally Posted by Mar
Mar, I had the same problem in March and April and decided to give RCW's plan a try. While I waited for the stuff to come in I used Basis bar soap at night and tepid water in the morning to clean. I was desperate for relief and gave Basis a shot since it helped in the past.
Once I started using Gentle Castile Soap and HA plus emu oil as a moisturizer, the angry redness went away. It usually acts up when the weather changes, but I haven't had a problem at all since switching to that plan. Actually I've had some moments of slight tingling around my eyes but realized that's from using a foundation that had something in it that my skin didn't like. I stopped using that make up and no more tingling.
Before the change, I was using Proactiv and many different kinds of eye creams. I still have problems with breaking out because I'm still trying to figure out how often to use Retin A.
I hope you find relief.
There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
Well, other than sunscreen so far I've never used anything other than a bit of cream around the sides of my eyes, where I tend to get a bit dry. I still have oily skin everywhere else and can't let moisturiser near my face, even the kind that's labeled oil-free.

I am only 43-years old, so who knows if and when that will change.
I do use certain skincare products to counteract some sun damage and uneven pigmentation and I do not see the day when I will give up on any of that. I have found a wonderful routine that has produced great results and doesn't cost an arm and a leg either, thanks to RCW.

That being said, there is a limit to what I will do. I will never resort to plastic surgery, injectables or laser treatments in an effort to look young. Growing old gracefully is my plan. Wrinkles don't scare me. My goal is simply to enhance what I already have, look the best I can and be as authentic as I can be. To me that ties in with my decision to let my hair go grey naturally.

I do agree with Speckla on the smokin' bod though!

Trending Topics