hormonal acne

OK..here i go..

I am so frustrated with my skin..I have all but given up ice cream, I drink a ton of water per day, practically given up ice cream and most dairy, I wash my face with gentle cleansers, I have given up products that contain salytic acid, alpha and beta hydroxy acids, change my pillow cases often,eat healthy, stopped taking my vitamins, I am not overly stressed, I get plenty of rest and.. yes I am regular (I know tmi)I have stopped everything that I do in an attempt to stop this.. So since my acne may be horomonal related...(I am 45) my skin is still breaking out like crazy. I don't mind one break out every now and then but as of today I have 10 breakouts and I am feeling another one I went to the health food store with my sister who is having the same problem, we're twins a lady said we should try a supplement to balance out horomonals. she recommended one.

Since my hours are severely cut down to 1 day..yes ladies I am working one day a week according to this week's schedule, I cannot afford to see a dermatologist at this time. If anyone is suffering from this what is your skin care regiment. Help please.

Thanks in advance for your answers...HELP ME
Oh by the way...My hair is not touching my face at all...
I am in the same boat and sinking fast. It sux but its all part of the perimenopausal roller coaster. Eat clean, keep your skin clean and exfoliate. It wont "help" but will minimize it as much as possible.
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
I got the idea of using retin-a from some curlies here.

I started with products that contain retinol and retinyl palmate. Green cream is one that I used, then there was another by Skin Medica.

For retin-a, you need a prescription in the US and it's expensive, but there are a few online pharmacies that sell it. It's drying, so you want to go easy with it and also be sure to wear sun protection while using it.
formerly Castella
(my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
I've had the same problem and am in my 40s, too. For several months now I've been washing with Clearasil Utra Daily Cleanser. Yeah, the stuff for teens. But my face is better than it's been in a long time. It's cheap and maybe worth a try. Oh, and about the same time I started taking Hair, Skin, & Nails vitamins from Walmart. So far, so good...
2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
COs: Yes to Cucumbers
Stylers: Krystal Ecostyler, KCCC,

Unique and Useful gifts & accessories
www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com and www.EweniqueEssentials.etsy.com

Last edited by ewenique; 12-27-2008 at 04:23 PM.
You could be describing me to a tee. I was taking biotin for my hair and nails and found out it too can cause break outs, so I stopped talking it along with biolage oil just in case. I have been using the PSF skincare line but that hasn't seemed to help. I purchased a thermaclear and that seems to work on some types of acne. I have been using Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Eliminating Gel and that seems to be working.
All good advice here, but what you were doing has not touched the real culprit, shifting hormones! No, you don't have to go on hormone therapy - traditional Chinese medicine comes to the rescue in a big way. Chinese medicine has had a great track record of helping women at different stages of hormonal shifting, menstrual problems, pregnancy, and menopause. If you can get to an acupuncture clinic they will assess your constitution and prescribe a course of herbs. In some cases, for the acute phase of something, you will have to boil up the herbs as per instructions and take them for a few days, or you might be given a formula or two to balance your system out. And when your system gets balanced, your skin will clear up too. In the meantime the retinoid can help with the surface. Good luck.
health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
^^^Thanks ..I was just thinking of this..
getting acne in my 40's sucks...but i've been taking pantothenic acid and i think it is helping tremendously. not breaking out as much. plus, i wash with noxema bacteria prevention cream and a few times a week, a baking soda and water scrub.
OK..here i go..

I am so frustrated with my skin..I have all but given up ice cream, I drink a ton of water per day, practically given up ice cream and most dairy, I wash my face with gentle cleansers, I have given up products that contain salytic acid, alpha and beta hydroxy acids, change my pillow cases often,eat healthy, stopped taking my vitamins, I am not overly stressed, I get plenty of rest and.. yes I am regular (I know tmi)I have stopped everything that I do in an attempt to stop this.. So since my acne may be horomonal related...(I am 45) my skin is still breaking out like crazy. I don't mind one break out every now and then but as of today I have 10 breakouts and I am feeling another one I went to the health food store with my sister who is having the same problem, we're twins a lady said we should try a supplement to balance out horomonals. she recommended one.

Since my hours are severely cut down to 1 day..yes ladies I am working one day a week according to this week's schedule, I cannot afford to see a dermatologist at this time. If anyone is suffering from this what is your skin care regiment. Help please.

Thanks in advance for your answers...HELP ME
Originally Posted by pandoraspoxx
Why don't you use these? Do they contribute to acne?
Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
-Henry David Thoreau
I'm not in my 40's (I'm 36) but I've also noticed that the older I get the more I get breakouts that tend to occur at specific times during my cycle (tends to happen around the time I ovulate) so I know they're hormonal. I use to breakout as a teen and then my skin cleared up through my 20's but now that I'm getting older I'm back to breaking out again.

I'm also thinking that the best way to deal with it is from the inside which means balancing your hormones. I haven't found a way to do that but Cara4curls sure gave some good tips.

Btw, I'm not sure why you stopped using Salicylic acids but I find that they help alot with my skin.
I find benzyl peroxide to be too harsh for my more mature skin.
3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
I'm trying the Murad Acne Complex now (it's been about 2 weeks). I'll give feedback after a bit more time...
Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
Dude. you should see my skin right now. Every month same time I look like I'm 15 again. I swear I have (lemme count) like 9 break outs.

This is disgusting, I cant take it, I wish they would come up with an antidote for this....
My Photobucket Album
Don't mean to freak you youngsters out, but I'm 52 and still getting them. I have roseacea but these aren't roseacea bumps, just plain old hormone-related acne. I think perimenopause started later with me than with some of you, but it seems to be going forever!

I'm thinking of trying the Murad Acne Complex myself since he claims it's good for all sorts of breakouts, including roseacea . . . .
2C/3A/3B - modified CG - med./fine, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, YTCarrots or Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite, KCCC, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
Are you for real??? I'm only 46 and this has been going on a little under a year..... AT what age did it start for you??
My Photobucket Album
Probably at about 46 or 47 but the worst has been the past 2-3 years. I think I'm finally about to go from peri- to the real thing, so maybe the end's in sight!

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, YTCarrots or Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite, KCCC, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
Probably at about 46 or 47 but the worst has been the past 2-3 years. I think I'm finally about to go from peri- to the real thing, so maybe the end's in sight!
Originally Posted by auntnett
ach... I wont tell you how long my sisters peru lasted.... aint it fun bein a girl....
My Photobucket Album
So you mean to tell me this is gonna get worse?!
With the stress of the holidays and all the overeating, not to mention I slacked off on working out, I broke out pretty bad this month. I have 6 red zits all along my chin.
3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
Don't mean to freak you youngsters out, but I'm 52 and still getting them. I have roseacea but these aren't roseacea bumps, just plain old hormone-related acne. I think perimenopause started later with me than with some of you, but it seems to be going forever!

I'm thinking of trying the Murad Acne Complex myself since he claims it's good for all sorts of breakouts, including roseacea . . . .
Originally Posted by auntnett
I have been using a combo of these products - the acne cleanser but the redness solution step 2 & 3 (basically moisturizers). It has definitely helped...I am thinking of picking up the Murad AHA/BHA exfoliating cleanser to use 1-2 times a week. According the reviews I read it is pretty gentle but still works.
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
Thanks, I think I'll definitely give it a try - just hope that what helps zits and roseacea doesn't mess with the seborrheic dermatitis! It's a constant balancing act.

And, yeah, Rudeechick, being a girls sure can be just loads of fun :/

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Trending Topics