Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Over 40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2006, 05:03 PM   #1

Default This has nothing to do with our age, but I want to vent

We redid a couple bathrooms. Our house was built before the age of the big bathrooms so even though we have three they are all small. The one I personally use off the main hallway I just redid in a smokey (sort of colonial) blue accented with white and brushed nickel. I have a small glass shelf above the toilet where I keep a crystal clock, a small candle, and a boutique box of tissues. OK, so the bathroom is now a new color and my tissue holder doesn't match. On a trip to Pittsburgh this past weekend that was one of my objectives... find a new boutique tissue holder. I was looking mainly for something in brushed nickel (or a close silver). Surprisingly, I found one that matched a picture I just put in that room (I didn't realize there was a whole ensemble that went with the picture). I think "great, I love it" and buy the tissue holder (which was not cheap, but it was what I liked.

My husband and I both commented that it seemed like a lot of the tissue holders we were looking at seemed big. Well... I get this thing home. There must be an extra 1/2" around the box inside this thing. This holder hangs over the shelf (which my last ceramic one did not). It is just huge!

Now why would a designer, or manufacturer, or whoever is to blame, make these things so big? Next time you are in Bed Bath & Beyond or Linens n Things, check them out.

I now have to return this... which means a trip to Erie this coming weekend. On top of that, I'm now afraid I won't find a pretty one to fit on my shelf. I really don't want a plain old plastic one.

OK, this was my vent for the day. The whole thing just made me mad.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:28 PM   #2

Do you think living in PA also makes us overly picky? Just kidding. I am overly picky and that would drive me insane.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, Ojon Restorative Treatment, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
jeepcurlygurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
Do you think living in PA also makes us overly picky? Just kidding. I am overly picky and that would drive me insane.
I think one thing that makes me picky is I don't live close to cities with good shopping. I bought this thing in Pittsburgh, and the closest place I can return it is Erie... which is over 60 miles away.

jeepcurlygurl, I have question for you. Do you know what all the excavation is just past the Grove City Outlet Mall? Do you know if they are expanding the mall? We couldn't tell what they were doing.

Also, have you been to the Waterfront in Pittsburgh to shop? If not, check it out sometime. What a nice area. I would like to go back there sometime when the weather is warmer.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:59 AM   #4

munchkin, do you do crafty-type stuff? Our craft stores have plain papier-mache tissue boxes that you could paint or paper to match your bathroom, and these fit over your actual tissue boxes pretty closely, they aren't over-sized. Just a thought....
B-wavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:36 AM   #5

munch I was just at the outlets last Saturday. I rarely go there (I'm not a big store shopper - online, ebay, and thrift stores for me!), but every time I go there it seems to have doubled in size. The waterfront is a really fun area.
I'm happy to live in the boondocks where there's no place to shop. I can't take the city for long periods of time. I'm just a hick I guess.
But I would have to shop til I dropped to get a kleenex cover that fit on that shelf!
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, Ojon Restorative Treatment, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
jeepcurlygurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:09 AM   #6

Funny you should post this as I just starting redoing my bathroom--not a major overhaul, but stripping wallpaper, painting and putting a new floor in. I would be highly upset if I made a special trip and bought something that turned out not to be right. How aggravating!
Old 03-28-2006, 05:10 PM   #7

Thanks for letting me vent everyone.

Now I am on a mission to find another "perfect" kleenex holder. In fact, I wasn't up for shopping this weekend but may have to drag my husband to Erie. This is the last little thing I need and the room will be done! Maybe that is what is so frustrating... I thought I was done and now I'm not.
Trending Topics[-]hide