Are we too old for lipgloss?

Gosh, I sure hope not! Lipgloss is my go-to on most days, it's simple and easy.

Let me guess, the MAC gal was in her twenties?!?

I say wear what you like and don't be boxed into a set of rigid rules.
Originally Posted by misspam
That was my response when I read the title of the thread.

Also, I really can't believe how incredibly rude it was of an MA to even suggest it to you. Lipgloss is the go to for most people (young or old) that like a sheerer colour. I even had my mom wearing it in her 70's. She loved it because it was a wash of colour and provided some moisture to her lips until most lipstick. I also find lipstick way too drying when worn alone and almost always put gloss on overtop.

A nice light pink is good for my skintone but not everyone can where pink as was already stated. I wear MAC Flusterose almost every day.

I have a ton of lipglosses but I do tend to stay away from the really glittery ones though.
Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
I say you let this thread accumulate til it runs out of steam. Then print it out and take it to that sales girl. Tell her every post equates to a lost lip gloss slaes commission!
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
Banned
Thanks, Rou, I knew you'd come through for me. Maybe she was just "politely" telling me it is time to color my hair again.
Originally Posted by Poodlehead

What exactly did she say?
I wear Bonnie Bell LG & love it!
But, of course, I don't give a rat's ass what other folks think...
Thanks, Rou, I knew you'd come through for me. Maybe she was just "politely" telling me it is time to color my hair again.

Originally Posted by WileECoyote - Daddy's grl
Well, I was looking at the lipglass and asked if I was too old for lipgloss, she laughed, said "yeah," and pointed me to the neutral colored lipsticks.

I was basically fishing, and maybe she thought that was what I wanted, but NO, I wanted to be told I didn't look a day over 25 and THIS lipgloss would look fabulous on me.

I acknowledge it is my own fault.
Minneapolis, MN

Well, I was looking at the lipglass and asked if I was too old for lipgloss, she laughed, said "yeah," and pointed me to the neutral colored lipsticks.

I was basically fishing, and maybe she thought that was what I wanted, but NO, I wanted to be told I didn't look a day over 25 and THIS lipgloss would look fabulous on me.

OMDG!!! She ACTUALLY laughed at you when you asked her????

How old was she? 12?

As rudee said I would let this thread accumulate only I'd send it to MAC HQ. I don't think they'd be very happy with the exclusion of an entire age group that typically has more discretionary income than a 20 yr old.
Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
As a 31 year old who has finally convinced my 61-year-old mom to get rid of the lighter foundation she was wearing which accentuated her few lines and go with powder instead (she has great skin, and it makes her look way younger!), I also encourage lip gloss.

Lipstick can look great and glamorous, but worn daily tends to feather out too much as you start developing lines around your mouth. As you age, you have less natural moisture in your skin, and on your lips as well - and lipstick starts to look dried out and "old" on you. If wearing lipstick to look glamorous, I think using some gloss, too, or a lip primer, can really help.

So basically, poodle, sounds like she was a moron...
The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
-Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
Do the lipsticks cost more than the lip glosses? I wonder if she was hoping to sell you something more expensive to get a better commission.
There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
Do the lipsticks cost more than the lip glosses? I wonder if she was hoping to sell you something more expensive to get a better commission.
Originally Posted by cynaminbear
Same price.
Minneapolis, MN

that is NOT your fault!

go to MAC's website and send an email to customer service. complain!!! i would!

the company motto is:

All AGES, All Races, All Sexes

and it has been since the first time i met Frank Toskan in 1984!
My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
Oh, I wouldn't do that. The most I can do is come here and whine to you guys.
Minneapolis, MN
I say you MARCH right back in there and buy as many lip glosses as your heart desires. Preferably when this little TWIT is working. Ideally if there are 2 counter gals go to the OTHER one so she gets the sale. Smile and say all of your 40 something friends told you they wear lip gloss. If she's the only one working I would get the Manager and say you are purchasing these lip glosses, but you don't want this 12 yr old to get the sale until she learns a bit about TACT and Customer Service!!! If you can't muster up the courage to do this, go with a friend who will back you up!!!
Really? That seems like a lot of fuss to me. And she DID let me try on the lip gloss I picked out on my own...
Minneapolis, MN
Hey, Poodlehead, I live in Minneapolis. I'll meet you for strength in numbers. We could make it a Twin Cities curly gathering at the Mac counter! She's a twit. Buy what you like and enjoy.
< member since 2006. No idea where 1969 came from.
And she DID let me try on the lip gloss I picked out on my own...
huh???

that's called customer service.

MAC is often cited as a cosmetics company with snobby employees - it's up to us as consumers to tell them how they are supposed to treat us.
My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
I think some of the gooey, really wet-looking lip glosses look bad on anyone and maybe even sillier on someone a little older. And there are certain glosses the bleed into the little vertical lines some women get, but then there are some lipsticks that do the same.

Overall, I agree with everyone else that the woman is a twit! You really should go back and give her her comeuppance - and try to be sure she doesn't get the commission if you decide to buy gloss after all!
2C/3A/3B - mod. CG, med. to fine, normal to low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated, GTTT or Aim2Health 'poos as scalp needs, YTCarrots or Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein Trtmt & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite, KCCC, AO Mandarin Magic, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing then clips or clamps & air dry. Blend gray w/henna glosses

www.fotki.com/auntnett
It is a good idea to let the company know what kind of service you received at the counter. If you feel you can't talk with the manager in person, then by all means send them an email. Things don't change unless folks speak out, and as you are the one spending money, you should receive the service you expect to.

I was at one of the MAC counters here on Monday, and received excellent customer service. I buy cover up and foundation there as their colour, density, and quality are great. When the woman was helping me with cover up, I asked her if I need to switch over to another line now since I am 42, and let her know that I am aware that Estee Lauder, Clinique, and MAC are owned by the same parent company. She said definitely not, that MAC is designed for all age groups and anyone can wear their products. They were out of my usual colour, so she put 4 colours of cover up into little pots and sent me home to play with them along with the phone number of the company's customer service if I wanted to order the product online and the tip to let the phone customer service rep know that the store was out of the colour so they might wave the shipping charges - excellent customer service over a $17 cover up that I didn't purchase that day.

I would guess that MAC customer service varies by location and by the standards of the manager at that spot. Sometimes, I find good customer service is starting to be a thing of the past especially in chain stores/booths. It is awful that you received such terrible customer service at the location.

Incidentally, I am no longer a customer at Cloudwalker shoe stores since the parent company did not respond to an email I sent regarding customer service at one of their stores. Obviously, they just don't care about their customers and figure another dollar will walk through the door. A&P, on the other hand, a grocery store chain that has been in business as long as I can remember, responded to my email regarding terrible customer service with an email and a phone call, and have retained me as a customer.

Sorry, I got on a bit of a babble here hahah Good customer service is one of my pet peeves.
I'm not over 40, but I wanted to add my two-cents anyway. I think women over 40 are perfect lipgloss wearers. When you are a pre-teen just trying it out, you put too much on (and look extra greasy). The more you age, the more practice you have and the more adept you are at applying it in different settings and for different situations. Not to imply that anyone is old or aging! I'm just happy that women over a certain age are stepping up and still being feminine and sexy, it gives me hope that when I fully mature I will still have the urge and ability to pull sexy and feminine off as well.
"The one unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain or unchangeable."

Hair type: 3C
I am a serial cutter

OMDG!!! She ACTUALLY laughed at you when you asked her????

How old was she? 12?

As rudee said I would let this thread accumulate only I'd send it to MAC HQ. I don't think they'd be very happy with the exclusion of an entire age group that typically has more discretionary income than a 20 yr old.
Originally Posted by whatsercurl
OUCHIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like that idea!
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
Really? That seems like a lot of fuss to me. And she DID let me try on the lip gloss I picked out on my own...
Really??? You must not be mad enough I'm with theloula customer service is a pet peeve of mine too. I woulda nipped it in the bud right then and there AND I like whatsercurls suggestion of e-mailing Mac HQ. I would also call the Dept store mgr. and complain about their salesperson being a D**A**.

Sorry, I guess I have a bad temper too...I blame it on the Latin/Italian heritage...
Nah, I'm passive-aggressive.
Minneapolis, MN

Trending Topics