Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Over 40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeechick View Post
The Chanel one is Sarong. And its nice. But the Dior one was that perfect shade for you that everyone asks you what it is because its SO PERFECT FOR YOU!!!Right shade, right amount of shimmer and it smelled like caramel.... I HATE when they do THAT!

YEARS ago (I'm sure you are alltoo young to recall) Chanel made a mascara I think it was called Cashmere? It rocked, the mascara, the brush everything. When they discontinued that I searched the NATION (this was b4 internet) to find leftovers.... Again, WHY DO THEY DO THAT??????????

Sorry
Ohhh, I looked online at the Chanel Sarong - what a beautiful shade. I might have to take a peeky at it next time I'm in the mall. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #42

I love lipstick (lip crayons to be exact) and don't ever wear lipgloss.
But I dare someone to tell me I'm too old to wear lipgloss or anything else for that matter. Double dog dare 'em! It would not be pretty.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, Ojon Restorative Treatment, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
jeepcurlygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #43
Banned

WileE-Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #44
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlehead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote - Daddy's grl View Post
Quote:
Thanks, Rou, I knew you'd come through for me. Maybe she was just "politely" telling me it is time to color my hair again.

What exactly did she say?
I wear Bonnie Bell LG & love it!
But, of course, I don't give a rat's ass what other folks think...
Well, I was looking at the lipglass and asked if I was too old for lipgloss, she laughed, said "yeah," and pointed me to the neutral colored lipsticks.

I was basically fishing, and maybe she thought that was what I wanted, but NO, I wanted to be told I didn't look a day over 25 and THIS lipgloss would look fabulous on me.

I acknowledge it is my own fault.
Oh, no, she di'int?!
Girl, you know you don't look a day over 25 & that lipglass stuff would look fabu on you!
Code:
how's that?
WileE-Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #45

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What exactly did she say?
I wear Bonnie Bell LG & love it!
But, of course, I don't give a rat's ass what other folks think...
Well, I was looking at the lipglass and asked if I was too old for lipgloss, she laughed, said "yeah," and pointed me to the neutral colored lipsticks.

I was basically fishing, and maybe she thought that was what I wanted, but NO, I wanted to be told I didn't look a day over 25 and THIS lipgloss would look fabulous on me.

I acknowledge it is my own fault.
Oh, no, she di'int?!
Girl, you know you don't look a day over 25 & that lipglass stuff would look fabu on you!
Code:
how's that?
Old 01-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloula View Post
I recently read somewhere, maybe in one of the books I have that cater to women over about 35, that lipgloss is better than lipstick for aging women as it offers more moisture. Besides, cakey dry lipstick just plain looks bad on any one, regardless of age. Most often, I use a lipstick topped with a smear of gloss. The lipstick seems to make the colour hold longer, the gloss adds moisture and shine. I am 42.
I do this too...I am 46

Germany Curly

Last Relaxer(Texturizer): Aug. 2005
BC: May 2006

curlee4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by eche428 View Post
Hey, Poodlehead, I live in Minneapolis. I'll meet you for strength in numbers. We could make it a Twin Cities curly gathering at the Mac counter! She's a twit. Buy what you like and enjoy.
I live in the Twin Cities area too! That would be awesome. Too bad I am going out of town for like 3 weeks on Friday morning...

I am not a big lipstick fan. I will always wear lip gloss!

Loving JC and CK products... Been loving them for 3 years...looking to branch out and try new things!!!
brown_eyedgal20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:30 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlee4life View Post
Quote:
I recently read somewhere, maybe in one of the books I have that cater to women over about 35, that lipgloss is better than lipstick for aging women as it offers more moisture. Besides, cakey dry lipstick just plain looks bad on any one, regardless of age. Most often, I use a lipstick topped with a smear of gloss. The lipstick seems to make the colour hold longer, the gloss adds moisture and shine. I am 42.
I do this too...I am 46
FORTY SIX???????????? No WAY! you do NOT look anywhere NEAR!

Must be the gloss
rudeechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #49

honestly... is there such a thing as too old? (for anything)
after all it is always a matter of opinion anyway...

I personally don't take everything sales assistants say for gospel. After all they are just trying to sell you things, and pushing to sell the most expensive ones.

Although it's hurtful, and the sales assistant deserves to be put in her place (which you could organize, by making a formal complaint ?) as she's clearly not very good at her job.

I say continue doing and wearing what ever you want.. after all isn't that the moral of the cg method? learn to love what you have and not worry about stupid ignorant people, because your beautiful the way you are (even wearing lipgloss! )

p.s. sorry about the ramble.. rude sales people get on my nerves!

http://public.fotki.com/curlywurlygurly/
pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.
curlywurlygurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:05 AM   #50

Before reading this thread I would've said yes but obviously I'm missing out on something and need to rethink my make-up! Must admit when I think of lipgloss I remember the super glossy spearmint flavoured stuff I used when I was 14, not what we're talking here it seems!

That sa needs a lesson in manners though, that's just downright rude not to mention poor sales tactics.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:19 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmie View Post
Before reading this thread I would've said yes but obviously I'm missing out on something and need to rethink my make-up! Must admit when I think of lipgloss I remember the super glossy spearmint flavoured stuff I used when I was 14, not what we're talking here it seems!

That sa needs a lesson in manners though, that's just downright rude not to mention poor sales tactics.
See, that is exactly where I was coming from when I asked the original question!
Old 01-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #52

Damn, I hope not. Sephora just sent me an email telling me to come claim my 3 free lip glosses for my birthday this month.

At any rate, they'll have to pry my gloss out of my cold dead fingers, no matter how old I get. With my skinny lips there's no way I'm emphasizing them with prominent lipstick, so I only wear gloss. And that chicken lips problem will only get worse as I age. Plus, like others have pointed out, lipstick can be aging as well as drying to the lips. He[[ with that.

Some of my favorite lip glosses are by Nars. The ones that come in the little glass pots. They are so thick and luscious and richly-pigmented, and come in great colors. I just love them. Gorgeous!
Koukla72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #53

Default Are we too old for lipgloss!

**ll No! And this is from another older member of this board at the ripe old age of 61. Actually up until the last couple of years, I never wore lipgloss, but find now it's a great addition to my makeup routine. One reason a good lipgloss in the right color for you works as you get older is that lips tend to thin with age(bummer, I know) Said lipgloss can make the lips appear fuller. One easy daytime look that I do is to use the el-cheapo Wet and Wild classic #666 lipliner pencil(a nice nude that's not too brown, too orange, or too dark)outlining lips first, just slightly outside the lipline(not too much though)and fill in lightly with that color. Then I apply a light coat of L'Oreal HIP lipgloss(the one in the squeeze tube)in Coy, a nice warm color again without being too orange or brown. This combo works because I have slightly olive skin that's light to medium in depth. Before I started wearing lipgloss I was starting to wear creamier lipsticks anyway to counteract dryness. That MAC girl should be ashamed, IMO, big-time! I'd tell her that I'm not too old for something that flatters me! Usually the MAC sales associates are pretty good and honest about what looks good on you, in my experience anyway. One thing that really peeves me out is that some so-called beauty experts seem to want to exclude mature women from cool stuff, whether it's brighter haircolor, cool makeup, cool clothes etc., This only serves to dampen enthusiasm, make some people look unnecessarily conservative, and make a lot of people just look, well, like every other generic "well-groomed baby boomer woman" with no particular style. If a woman's own look calls for something bolder, let her celebrate that! Bottom line, it really boils down to one's individual look anyway as far as what one can pull off, at ANY age!
cara4art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:03 AM   #54

Late to the party...no, we're not too old for lipgloss! Applied properly, i.e. not glopped on, it is a soft and feminine look for women of all ages.
winifred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:15 AM   #55

Send a message via ICQ to rouquinne Send a message via MSN to rouquinne

you know what we ARE too old for????

snippy 20-somethings telling us that we're too old for something!!!!

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
rouquinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouquinne View Post

ITA....We are mature women who know what we like & don't like. The problem is that the market isn't geared for us. As far as clothes, we want to be age appropriate, but not frumpy. That's hard to find, in my opinion. As far as lipgloss, I like one that has a lot of color & if it taste good that is even better. We do still kiss after 40. The 20 year olds shouldn't be dictating to us what not to wear. We need our power back!

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
Lotsawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotsawaves View Post
Quote:

ITA....We are mature women who know what we like & don't like. The problem is that the market isn't geared for us. As far as clothes, we want to be age appropriate, but not frumpy. That's hard to find, in my opinion. As far as lipgloss, I like one that has a lot of color & if it taste good that is even better. We do still kiss after 40. The 20 year olds shouldn't be dictating to us what not to wear. We need our power back!
The editor's page in the Dec/Jan MORE talked about this very thing. That we need to be more vocal about things like this so we're no longer invisible. That the reason things aren't marketed to us is because someone falsely believes (and continues to believe) that women over 40 stay loyal to brands they used as teens. However, studies have proven that wrong. Women over 40 are a lot more willing to try new brands and things, and we have more resources to do so.
Based on that alone, I think it would be a good idea to at least call the store and talk to the manager of that counter and let her know what the 20 something said. It's a chance for one more voice to be heard.
/soapbox.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynaminbear View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotsawaves View Post
Quote:

The editor's page in the Dec/Jan MORE talked about this very thing. That we need to be more vocal about things like this so we're no longer invisible. That the reason things aren't marketed to us is because someone falsely believes (and continues to believe) that women over 40 stay loyal to brands they used as teens. However, studies have proven that wrong. Women over 40 are a lot more willing to try new brands and things, and we have more resources to do so.
Based on that alone, I think it would be a good idea to at least call the store and talk to the manager of that counter and let her know what the 20 something said. It's a chance for one more voice to be heard.
/soapbox.
Interesting point.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeechick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlee4life View Post
Quote:
I do this too...I am 46
FORTY SIX???????????? No WAY! you do NOT look anywhere NEAR!

Must be the gloss
Definitely the gloss!

Germany Curly

Last Relaxer(Texturizer): Aug. 2005
BC: May 2006

curlee4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:44 AM   #60

Send a message via AIM to meriellyn Send a message via Yahoo to meriellyn

Never too old for lipgloss! Never.

http://public.fotki.com/thekittenavenger
pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls