Are we too old for lipgloss?

No way are we too old for gloss! I am 47 and have worn gloss almost exclusively for several years.

Sometimes if I need staying power for an event or a late evening, I'll layer gloss over lipstick. Or use a lip pencil to line and fill in, then gloss over that. ...

When I turned 40, I decided I would not put up with B.S. anymore (a friend says I didn't put up with it before then, either ). That sales(-repelling) associate would get a not-too-pleasant reaction from me.
shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
Every SINGLE thing I read about make-up for us older hotties says wear lipgloss NOT lipstick.
cuh.
Was she like 20?
"what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa
Every SINGLE thing I read about make-up for us older hotties says wear lipgloss NOT lipstick.
cuh.
Was she like 20?
Originally Posted by Mar
If that, more like 18.
Minneapolis, MN
Speckla
cuh.
Was she like 20?
Originally Posted by Mar
If that, more like 18.
Originally Posted by Poodlehead
Was she atleast pottytrained? Sounds like a pretty immature response to me. I'd have away - my dollars and me.
First of all, tell the girl at the MAC counter that she needs a refresher course in who should wear what and how to speak to a customer. What a brat!

Absolutely not too old. Actually, I think I'm too old for lipstick and gloss is a better option.
Originally Posted by cynaminbear
This - to me, anyway - is absolutely correct. I'm 45, and pretty much all lipstick looks heavy and old-ladyish on me, and I don't wear it anymore. I only wear a light layer of lipstain, and then gloss over that. It's a much softer and younger look. My favorites, even though it has a small amount of shimmer, is Bare Escentuals Buxom lipgloss in "Dolly" (by the way - these new plumper lipglosses are excellent for the thinning lip problem as we age), and Tarte's "Luke & Laura" lipgloss duo. I have a fairly decent selection of glosses (and NO lipsticks in the past three years), and those are the ones I seem to use the most.
CG since 1/09. Protein and Mag Sulfate sensitive.
Hair Type - 3A.
Co-wash - Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner.
Low-poo as needed - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shampoo.
Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.

Last edited by LisaF1163; 01-19-2009 at 06:26 AM.
No way are we too old for gloss! I am 47 and have worn gloss almost exclusively for several years.
Originally Posted by alacurl
What brand do you recommend? I need one with staying power.

Mary J. Blige looked great with her lip gloss and she's not 20 years old anymore.
3c
Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
CoWash: VO5 kiwi
Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
^^^she's a spokesperson for MAC Viva Glam, so you might want to try VG5!
My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
Agree - Viva Glam V or VI are great, natural looking shades.
CG since 1/09. Protein and Mag Sulfate sensitive.
Hair Type - 3A.
Co-wash - Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner.
Low-poo as needed - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shampoo.
Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.
Thanks, will do.
3c
Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
CoWash: VO5 kiwi
Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
After reading "How to Not Look Old," I struggled with this, too. I would try the lip gloss, but then slip back to my old ways of wearing dark lipstick. Finally one day, a co-worker (much younger than I) told me that I looked much younger with gloss -that it seems to soften my face. I went home and put away all of my lipstick (I still can't bring myself to throw it away yet since I have a small fortune invested) and I've worn lip gloss ever since.
KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
Originally Posted by alacurl
What brand do you recommend? I need one with staying power.
Originally Posted by mandyv
MANDYV, so sorry for the late reply! ... I am more picky about texture than staying power. Glad you got some recommendations from other posters.
shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
I've tried a lot of different brands, but the best brand I have found to last and have a nice texture is Wet 'N Wild #568. It's a peachy/bronze pink. Wet 'N Wild also does not test on animals - and it's CHEAP!
KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
I've tried a lot of different brands, but the best brand I have found to last and have a nice texture is Wet 'N Wild #568. It's a peachy/bronze pink. Wet 'N Wild also does not test on animals - and it's CHEAP!
Originally Posted by KurlyKarenLee
Thanks! I'll have to check that out.
There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
Burt's Bees Lip shimmers are great too. A nice sheer color and they feel awesome on your lips. They have several different shades though the pink has too much shimmer to it for me.
Lots of medium to fine, extremely porous and color damaged hair.
Suave Tropical Coconut for co-wash
Bed Head Tigi Moisture Maniac
FX Curl Booster Fixative Gel
Gel

CG since November 2007
Slowly growing out the color damaged hair. I'm halfway there!!
Lancome Juicy Tubes are a good texture and last longer than most true lipglosses. I got Juicy Tubes Smoothie in Beach Plum and Juicy Tubes Jelly in Bolole (don't ask me to pronounce or its meaning!) as free gifts. Both are good, natural colors and last easily 5-6 hours, even staying on pretty well thru lunch. The former has more color but is a perfect, neutral, flattering color for me. The latter is a sheer peachy color with a touch of frost that I use for the most natural, least made-up look. I need more color than that most of the time, though. I'm so satisfied with my regular lipgloss so that I probably wouldn't have bought either, but now that I have them, I like them, would recommend either and will probably repurchase, although they're lasting me forever.

If you want real staying power but don't mind that it's not exactly a regular gloss, I love the Covergirl Outlast Double Lipshine. That's what I wear pretty much all the time, and unless I eat something really greasy, I have to remove it with eye makeup remover at bedtime after putting it on about 6:30 in the morning. My lips never get chapped or crack with it, unlike with regular lipsticks and some glosses. Like other Outlast lip products, some colors wear better than others. There's a color coat and a clear top coat, in this case in the same tube - a clear liquid gloss with brush on one end and the color with sponge applicator on the other.

Like any Outlast lip product, you shouldn't try to put on thick a layer of color or more than one coat. If you do need more color later in the day or aren't satisfied with your initial application, you'll do best to remove it completely and start over. When you start layering it, it no longer looks soft and natural and will tend to flake and look gunky.

I quickly put on one coat and smooth it around with my finger to get it even and give it a softer look, being sure that the edges are even. However, with this finger method, it's soft looking like a lipgloss, not defined like a lipstick. Once dries completely and I put the topcoat on, you cannot tell it isn't a regular lipgloss. I usually only have to reapply the topcoat 3-4 times during the day - it stays put but moist without getting gummy or sticky.

I wear Spring Wine #250 most of the time because I can make it look anywhere from a soft rosy color to a deep wine so that it goes with most anything and is a nice natural color for me and my skin/lips - close to the color of the inside of my lips, which is supposed to be a good rule of thumb. I'm lucky that it's one of the longer wearing colors, too.

Sometimes for a slightly different color I'll use one of the Juicy Tubes over this instead of its regular topcoat, and it doesn't affect how it wears much at all.
2C/3A/3B - modified CG - med./fine, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, YTCarrots or Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite, KCCC, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
I never knew there was an age limit on....LIPGLOSS...that MAC person was pathetic...She probaly was PMSing ...When I go to a make-up counter it is to buy their product not dish out precious pennies for their catty attiude. That is why I prefer buying my staples from that company on line.
Bobbi Brown Lipshine is a good alternative to lipstick and lipgloss. It has a slight color and shiny, not sticky and no taste...and it stays on a for a few hours. The tube seems to lasts a long time, although I am not regular wearer...I forget that I have it.
Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
So now the big question is, do I go with the Nyphette, or the Viva Glam IV (V? VI? one of those)
Minneapolis, MN
i always carry Nymphette, VG5 and the VG6 Special Edition (paler pink than regular VG6) in my bag.

so i'm no help whatsoever!!!

My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
Banned
These names slay me!
Code:
I thought nymphette was something else...

Trending Topics