Are we too old for lipgloss?

The MAC girl implied that I am too old for it. It's possible, but am I really?
Minneapolis, MN
excuse me??????!!!

go back and tell her off for me!!!!

*sheesh*
My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
Thanks, Rou, I knew you'd come through for me. Maybe she was just "politely" telling me it is time to color my hair again.
Minneapolis, MN
WHAT!? There's an age limit on lip gloss??? What CRAP! Wear it all you want!
Gosh, I sure hope not! Lipgloss is my go-to on most days, it's simple and easy.

Let me guess, the MAC gal was in her twenties?!?

I say wear what you like and don't be boxed into a set of rigid rules.
Absolutely not too old. Actually, I think I'm too old for lipstick and gloss is a better option.
There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
Absolutely not too old. Actually, I think I'm too old for lipstick and gloss is a better option.
Originally Posted by cynaminbear
Now, that is an interesting perspective. Why do you say that?
Minneapolis, MN
Originally Posted by Poodlehead
Agreed! I lately have been wearing just gloss or veryveryvery light sheer lipstick. and <GASP>for the first time in my LIFE not wearing lipliner!!

I just felt all of a sudden that the darkness was aging me a bit. Sorry to guano.

Go tell the salesgirl her style-IQ might be too low to work for Mac and she should consider Merle Norman!

***please, no hate mail from merle norman fans.
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
Exactly! To me, many lipsticks are aging, especially when heavy-handed, too dark, and overly lined with pencil. I think lip gloss is more forgiving and youthful, provided it is not overly glossy or sparkly.

My fave is a Christian Dior shade called Taste of Strawberry. Sadly, I think it's been discontinued.
Exactly! To me, many lipsticks are aging, especially when heavy-handed, too dark, and overly lined with pencil. I think lip gloss is more forgiving and youthful, provided it is not overly glossy or sparkly.

My fave is a Christian Dior shade called Taste of Strawberry. Sadly, I think it's been discontinued.
Originally Posted by misspam
Dior discontinued my fave recently... it didnt have a name, just a number. I switched of to a Chanel that comes not quite close enough....
My Photobucket Album
Agreed! I lately have been wearing just gloss or veryveryvery light sheer lipstick. and <GASP>for the first time in my LIFE not wearing lipliner!!

I just felt all of a sudden that the darkness was aging me a bit. Sorry to guano.

Go tell the salesgirl her style-IQ might be too low to work for Mac and she should consider Merle Norman!

***please, no hate mail from merle norman fans.
Originally Posted by rudeechick

Good one!

Dior discontinued my fave recently... it didnt have a name, just a number. I switched of to a Chanel that comes not quite close enough....
Grrr......why must they do that? Just when I've found a shade that perfectly matches my natural lip color, they go and screw it up. Dior has reformulated their Addict Gloss and changed the names of quite a few colors while doing away with my fave and a few others.

Looking on Sephora.com I see a couple of shades that might work but you never know until you can see them at the counter.

Looks like the search is on!

btw - which Chanel shade are you using now?

Grrr......why must they do that? Just when I've found a shade that perfectly matches my natural lip color, they go and screw it up. Dior has reformulated their Addict Gloss and changed the names of quite a few colors while doing away with my fave and a few others.

Looking on Sephora.com I see a couple of shades that might work but you never know until you can see them at the counter.

Looks like the search is on!

btw - which Chanel shade are you using now?
The Chanel one is Sarong. And its nice. But the Dior one was that perfect shade for you that everyone asks you what it is because its SO PERFECT FOR YOU!!!Right shade, right amount of shimmer and it smelled like caramel.... I HATE when they do THAT!

YEARS ago (I'm sure you are alltoo young to recall) Chanel made a mascara I think it was called Cashmere? It rocked, the mascara, the brush everything. When they discontinued that I searched the NATION (this was b4 internet) to find leftovers.... Again, WHY DO THEY DO THAT??????????

Sorry
My Photobucket Album
I wear tinted lipgloss all the time. Lipstick is too drying. I wore lipstick when I was young, but now that I'm older I think lipgloss looks better.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
Lipgloss looks much better on me than lipstick. Just sheerer and fresher looking. Smashbox Candid is so pretty, that's been my staple the last few months. No sparklies though, that would look weird on me.
I recently read somewhere, maybe in one of the books I have that cater to women over about 35, that lipgloss is better than lipstick for aging women as it offers more moisture. Besides, cakey dry lipstick just plain looks bad on any one, regardless of age. Most often, I use a lipstick topped with a smear of gloss. The lipstick seems to make the colour hold longer, the gloss adds moisture and shine. I am 42.
It seems like all the lipsticks are too thick and heavy looking on my lips. Someone mentioned they're drying, and that's the other reason I don't like lipstick.
I have a hard time finding the right color. Reds are either too garish or way too dark and deep, not to mention either too yellow or blue. (I'm not picky, really!) All the other neutrals are the wrong color or intensity, too. I think I'm a true neutral, so warm colors look too yellow and cool colors are too blue. Most neutrals are too dark brown.
I've found some lip glosses that give just the right amount of brightness without being harsh and they aren't heavy colors, which don't drag down my face. Right now I'm loving In Love by (don't laugh too hard) Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen. I like that lip gloss is sheer enough to work with my skin tone but have just enough color to keep me from looking washed out.

I recently read somewhere, maybe in one of the books I have that cater to women over about 35, that lipgloss is better than lipstick for aging women as it offers more moisture. Besides, cakey dry lipstick just plain looks bad on any one, regardless of age. Most often, I use a lipstick topped with a smear of gloss. The lipstick seems to make the colour hold longer, the gloss adds moisture and shine. I am 42.
Originally Posted by theloula
I read that book last year. She says to choose a pink gloss, but I can't wear pink. The closest to pink I can get is a salmon, so I looked for something better suited to my skin tone.
There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
According to Total Beauty, not only is lip gloss okay for older women...it can make them look 10 years younger.

And I would agree.
Right...pink doesn't suit everyone. I don't think there is a single shade of anything out there that is suiting for all.

Currently, my favourite lipgloss is Allure by Quo. It is a peachy pink tone with gold shimmer in it, and I wear it over top of a range of pink (pale and bright), rust, or plummy toned lipsticks depending on my mood that day. I have dark brown hair and olive toned skin. The same lipgloss suits a friend of mine who has dirty blond hair and warm toned skin.

Red is the only colour that I wear alone without gloss as it seems to make it bleed into the lines around my mouth. I found Tigi made great lip pencils, and when I found the perfect shade of red bought 3 or 4 of them. It has been ages since I looked for Tigi though, so don't know if they are still in business. I used to buy it at the hair salon. And yes, red is a very hard colour to find but well worth the search...if you want to wear red that is.
I am one of the oldest people on this board, and I have been wearing lip gloss for a while now. Like someone above said, I think lipstick is drying and can make you look older. Anyway, I wouldn't think there is an "age limit" on lip gloss.
3b/c

Trending Topics