Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Over 40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2006, 05:14 AM   #1

Default under eye discoloration-Kinerase

Anyone have a remedy for this. Under my eyes, there are slight dark circles. I started using maybelline concealer but I would like some product that removes this altogether.
Hair type, thin, 3b, past my shoulders always looking for length. Use jessicurl hair cleansing cream, devacurl one c, angel, set it free, Always see a deva trained stylist for cut and Aveda Institute for color.
selfcurledgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:39 AM   #2
CurlySuzGuide

I have significant dark circles under my eyes (hereditary) and I just started using Avon's Anew's new dual eye treatment. I'll let you know how it goes.

I haven't found anything yet that helps with this situation.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:10 AM   #3

I have hereditary dark circles too.
I started using Hylexin last week. No results yet and it was so EXPENSIVE
Old 03-30-2006, 02:42 PM   #4

SOmeone here said that Avon anew was good. Let me know. I am going to ask my friend too who works in a dermatologist office.
Hair type, thin, 3b, past my shoulders always looking for length. Use jessicurl hair cleansing cream, devacurl one c, angel, set it free, Always see a deva trained stylist for cut and Aveda Institute for color.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:01 AM   #5

I just asked my friend who works for dermatologists at Mt. Sinai and she recommended Kinerase. You can buy it on ebay cheaper.It is expensive but there are many sellers there. I will either get samples from my friend or buyit there. I also found some Laura Mercier cosmetic stuff to cover it which seems good, but expensive, her concealer and brightener. Thinking of getting that too. I hate getting old!
Old 04-03-2006, 07:01 AM   #6

I have that Laura Mercier concealer. It's very good. It is expensive, but it lasts forever. The sales associate gave me a tip -- Be sure to put a tiny dab near your nose at the inner corner of the eye. Nearly all women have a dark area there, and covering it up makes the whole eye area look brighter.

My dark circles are not too bad normally, but when I don't get enough sleep (like last night), they are more noticeable.
SuZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:52 AM   #7

If you have hyperpigmentation, you might need 4% hydroquinine. A dermatologist can write you a script. Well, I suppose any doctor could. I tried it twice, and it stings something awful.

spiderlashes5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:19 PM   #8

You could also get a lower concentration of hydroquinine at the drugstore to start with and see how you tolerate it if it really is hyperpigmentation. I don't have a dark circle problem too much, but I do have a falling eyelid problem, one side. The olay Regenerist for eyes helped a lot as a temporary fix, and sometimes you can find it on sale at the drugstore. But now I use a retinaldehyde product called Ystheal from Avene. Its a mild retin A cream that helps enourmously. I recommend it highly for all sorts of aging skin issues, as long as you are also a dedicated sunscreen user.
So far, I think Retin A products, sunscreen, and Vitamin C serums are the only antiaging products that are actually backed up by conventional science to be affective.
stubbornirishhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 03:39 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies. Have you guys used serious skin care vitamin c ester creams and serums. I am using them, falling for it on hsn. It's okay but not great. I noticed youmentioned vitamin c. I am going to try the kinerase cream as my friend will give me a sample.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:38 PM   #10

I only started using vitamin c recently. I make my own serum out of powdered ascorbic acid from Whole Foods and distilled water. It stings a little bit. The ratio I use is 1/4 tsp Vit C to 4 tsp. water, and it will keep for a couple of days in a dark dropper bottle. If you have dry skin you can make it with proplen glycol or glycerin, but for me that makes it so my sunscreen balls up. Its best to put it on in the a.m. and let it dry and then put on sunscreen. Its hard to tell so far if it is helping but there are some scientific studies backing the use of it.
Good luck with the Kinerase!
Old 04-04-2006, 01:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
If you have hyperpigmentation, you might need 4% hydroquinine. A dermatologist can write you a script. Well, I suppose any doctor could. I tried it twice, and it stings something awful.
I think sometimes you have to give your skin a little more time to adapt to a new product. My dermatologist Rxd some Alphaquine 4% years ago when I developed some sun spots on my cheeks from too much sun bathing - hard not to do in S. Florida. Anyway, initially it felt a little like it burned, (I guess that's the stinging) but I got used to it and it really faded the marks. When I was young I got some hyperpigmentation from using a face cream (Oil of Olay) back when SPFs weren't really in use. Anyway, I ended up buying Porcelana and it worked. It took FOREVER, but it DID work!

As to the circles under the eyes. I have had them all my life, as did my father, so it's obviously hereditary in my case. I always used to say that with my big, deep-set, round eyes with those damned circles underneath, I looked like a female version of the actor, Omar Sharif!

Let us know if the kinerase works! I wonder if it would work for those of us with the hereditary condition?
Old 04-04-2006, 06:09 PM   #12

You're lucky you've only just started getting them, I've had mine for years - very dark on pale skin - not a good look! Let us know how you go with the kinerase. I get through so much concealer it's just not funny.
Starmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 03:24 PM   #13
cjc

[quote="maria_i"]I have hereditary dark circles too.
I started using Hylexin last week. No results yet and it was so EXPENSIVE [/quote

I tried Hylexin for about 2 months and I didnt notice anything. I'm glad I got a sample from work.
cjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 03:27 PM   #14
cjc

Where in the drugstore do can you get hydroquinine? I've never heard of this product. TIA
Old 04-06-2006, 03:34 PM   #15

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I got mine thru prescription from the dermatologist for a few brown spots on my face (sun spots ).

However, as I understand it, there are a number of 'skin bleaching' products on the market that have hydroquinone (or is it hydroquinine? ) as one of the ingredients, but at lower percentages. I buy some of my skin care products from a website founded by Paula Begoun. She's kind of an ingredients 'advocate'. She reviews any variety of skin care, hair care and make up products, + she carries her own line of stuff. Anyway, I believe she carries a hydroquinone product in her line of skin care products. I have been using her stuff for a few months and my mom recently commented that my skin seems to look better these days and that the skintone and color are more even. The website is: www.cosmeticscop.com. I'm sure others will also have suggestions on where to get the product. HTH
Old 04-08-2006, 02:32 PM   #16

My friend gave me the kinerase regular face cream and cleanser. She didn't have the eye cream. While I like how my face feels, the coloration is still there. She may get the eye cream so I guess I will see if it changes it. I have been concealing it with laura mercier concealer and brightener. They are good products. So I will see and keep you posted.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:47 PM   #17

An inexpensive concealer that is working great for me is the CoverToxTen by Physicians Formula. I am using the Soft Yellow, and it works great to cover lines, and I also put it under the eyes.

Jane
Old 04-10-2006, 12:50 PM   #18
cjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowagirl
An inexpensive concealer that is working great for me is the CoverToxTen by Physicians Formula. I am using the Soft Yellow, and it works great to cover lines, and I also put it under the eyes.

Jane
I'm glad it worked for you. I was hoping it would for me...I had to return it
Old 04-20-2006, 02:20 PM   #19

I read something else about undereye circles being helped by DMAE. Its something you can get in the Vitamin Shoppe or a similar store. I have some by RevivaLift (sp?), because it is supposed to help sagging eyelids. It seems to work as well as Olay Regenerist for that and its a little cheaper.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:40 PM   #20

Visit the skin care board. There's a LOT of information there and a biochemist who monitors the board and gives great advice. I've re-vamped my whole skin care regimen and I've never looked better:

http://theskincareboard.com/phpBB2/i...a8c4ff6aaed49b
RedCatWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Trending Topics[-]hide