This is definitely a sign of getting old!

My vision has been so blurry lately. Went for an exam and found I have a cataract on both. . . not one. . . but both eyes.

Then he tells me I can have the regular lens put in my eyes, or at a cost of $2200 an eye, can have a Crystalens put in. Lasik was never an option for me. This Crystalens is supposed to correct up to 94% of your reading vision. Expensive, yes; but if it works, I will be the happiest person in the world.

Does anyone on this board know of anyone who has had this lens for their cataract surgery? I researched it on the internet and think I have myself talked into spending the money and trying it.
3b/c
Banned
lol
wow...nope, all the eye work that I've been exposed to, I have not come across this....sounds interesting, tho
I made my appts today. First eye the last week of January and second eye the first week of February. I will report in in a few weeks to let you know if it was worth the money. I should have stated 94% of people don't have to wear glasses again except maybe very tiny print. If it works as it is supposed to, I won't need glasses for distance, intermediate or reading. I won't know what to do with myself! I am so anxious now to get it done.
3b/c
My dad had this done (but you know, I'm in the 40+ forum, so he is definitely 40++). It went well for him. He had trifocals before. He still uses different glasses for different things but he doesn't need them as much, and again, he's much older.

I would leap at the chance to get this done! (and I'm surgery-phobic)
formerly Castella
(my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
My vision has been so blurry lately. Went for an exam and found I have a cataract on both. . . not one. . . but both eyes.

Then he tells me I can have the regular lens put in my eyes, or at a cost of $2200 an eye, can have a Crystalens put in. Lasik was never an option for me. This Crystalens is supposed to correct up to 94% of your reading vision. Expensive, yes; but if it works, I will be the happiest person in the world.

Does anyone on this board know of anyone who has had this lens for their cataract surgery? I researched it on the internet and think I have myself talked into spending the money and trying it.
Originally Posted by munchkin
Meeeee! All around the same exact situation as you. I was dx'd with cataracts in both eyes in 2/08. In 3/08 I had my first Crystalens implanted and in 4/08 I had my 2nd one put in. Very pleased with them, but it did take a bit of time getting used to them as the eye settled down after surgery. What you wanna know? Either post here, or PM me. I am subscribing to this thread, but if I don't reply, please PM me.
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
Thanks to both of you for posting about your own and your father's experience with Crystalens. I am glad to hear from two people who sound very positive for getting this done.

curls2grow, I pm'ed you just to ask a couple specifics. Am so happy someone on this board has actually had the same experience and sounds so positive about it.
3b/c
good luck, M! that sounds wonderful!
My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
Had eye #1 done last week and eye #2 done yesterday. Was a little stressed out for the first 3-4 days after the first surgery because my vision was so blurry. That has started to clear up quite nicely. I probably was in panic mode because that was my "good" eye and I was so hoping I hadn't done something to it I would regret. Every day it has gotten clearer. I was also told they don't even want the muscle to try to focus for the reading vision for at least 2 weeks after the surgery. At that time (2 weeks from the second eye) I will start doing eye exercises to train my eye to focus at different distances (intermediate and far distance visions are pretty good right now). Apparently this lens is on hinges, and if you train it too early, it can pop out of place.

Both surgeries went very well, no pain or discomfort. Think I am going to be very pleased down the road that I had this done. Was quite an expense, but if my eyes continue to improve, it will be well worth every penny.

curls2grow, thanks for all the information you gave me. I really appreciate it. I had a lot of haloing right after the surgeries, but that even seems to have toned down every day. Don't think it is anything I won't be able to deal with.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am very happy so far that I made the decision to go with the Crystalens.
3b/c
great news!!!
My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
So glad to hear that all went well and is continuing to improve, munchkin! Aren't you glad it's behind you now? And you just have even more improved vision to look forward to! Enjoy!
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
Glad it went well. Just thinking about eye surgery gives me the heeby-jeebies!
3b in South Australia.
Glad it went well. Just thinking about eye surgery gives me the heeby-jeebies!
Originally Posted by Starmie
They put me out so I wasn't aware of anything during the surgery. Was looking at the ceiling blocks one minute and in recovery drinking a Coke the next. Kind of surprised me because one of the men at work had regular cataract surgery (at a different place) and he was awake during the whole thing. Think I like my way better!!
3b/c
That's the thing - a colleague of mine was awake during hers too, said it was dreadful. Glad you were out for yours.
3b in South Australia.

Originally Posted by munchkin
I'm sorry. Just be glad you are not in the UK, you have to be blind in one eye and showing signs of it in the other eye before you get help.
My son wears combat boots (and a parachute).
The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

I'm sorry. Just be glad you are not in the UK, you have to be blind in one eye and showing signs of it in the other eye before you get help.
Originally Posted by susancnw

Even for $4,400?
It is now close to 2 months following my second eye and here is my update. I have learned so much about cataract surgery that I didn't realize 2 months ago.

First of all, I assumed everyone came through with flying colors; no problems at all. How wrong I was.

I do want to say, I don't regret getting the Crystalens. The surgery itself was a success and I am reading things without glasses I haven't been able to for years.

BUT, I have had a terrible light senstivity and burning and scratching in my eyes. I just discovered on the internet that many of the drops you have to take after cataract surgery can cause problems for some prople. My dr told me to take over the counter drops for dry eyes; he was sure this was my problem. After reading that post menopausal women can experience dry eyes, I thought he must be right. Well, I have been using the drops and my eyes have still been terrible.

We vacationed last week in Florida with my sister (I wore dark glasses and a visor most of the time to try to avoid the suffering). The last evening there one of the men said how high the pollen count was. I thought "hmmm, I do have allergies; wonder if that is my problem."

After we returned home, my husband found some drops he had for allergy eyes (not dry eyes). I tried them, and like magic the burning, scratching, whatever alleviated. Still have a light senstivity, which is common with cataract surgery. I googled the difference between "dry eyes" and "allergy eyes" only to find that many of the drops used to treat dry eyes can cause discomfort and pain for people with allergies. . . and that many drs don't realize this.

Well, now that I have switched from drops for dry eyes (as recommended by my dr) to drops for allergy eyes, I have done a total 180. No pain, no scratching, no burning. I feel like there is finally life after cataract surgery.

As I stated before, I don't think this had anything to do with the Crystalens but everything to do with the surgery and post surgery treatment itself.

Now, I can honestly say I am thrilled with the money I invested in these lens. I am reading some very tiny print with no glasses. Plus on top of that have no discomfort. Amazing what the proper treatment can do!!
3b/c

Trending Topics