first gray hair

So, I am not yet 40, but it's mere minutes away [this July]. I thought about posting about this and realized that this would be the board for it.

The other day I saw my first gray hair. I have to say, the manner in which it showed up was more startling than anything. I actually took a picture.

I was just innocently putting my hair up with hair sticks and it just popped up outta nowhere. I mean, cripes, does it have to stick up like that, like, "Look at me! You're a mortal, you're gonna die someday. Whoo hoo!"

I had to rather forcefully pry it down and shove it under a bunch of other hair to get it to behave.

I hope the rest of my plan to age gracefully is a bit more, uh, graceful.

Last edited by wild~hair; 01-31-2009 at 11:24 PM.
How cool that you got a picture! And you'd better just get used to it - those grays have a mind of their own. They don't always like playing with the other guys.
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Banned
Welcome to the club!
When I used to get odd ones like that (back in the day!) I used to pluck them out. Maybe that's why my hair's so thin on top now.
3b in South Australia.
It kind of looks like a Who!
3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
Picasa:
Link
Deva Low Poo
Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
Homemade FSG
KCCC
Curl Junkie Stuff
BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.
-wabi-sabi

wild~hair -- an especially appropriate screen name. It does look like a Who! ... I know it's not all that funny to you, but I got a chuckle out of your photo. Very cute.

I found my first gray hair on my 25th b-day (was camping and using a mirror in broad daylight). Happy frickin' birthday, now you're old.
shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
How cool that you got a picture! And you'd better just get used to it - those grays have a mind of their own. They don't always like playing with the other guys.
Originally Posted by 2poodles
Dang, you ain't kidding. It is about 2x as thick, and wiry as all get out.

I saw it again this morning. It really stands out.

And I had just [sort of] figured out my hair. Will this mean I have to start all over? Maybe they will take over gradually, so I can adjust.

But I keep telling myself I'll look good gray — it'll bring out my blue eyes.

wild~hair -- an especially appropriate screen name. It does look like a Who! ... I know it's not all that funny to you, but I got a chuckle out of your photo. Very cute.
Originally Posted by alacurl
Oh, it's okay. I laughed too. I mean, look at that thing! How could I not?

What's a Who? Something Dr. Seuss-ish? [Off to Google ... ]

Last edited by wild~hair; 02-01-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Speckla
It's shaped like a "P" for Party!
I was told by a stylist that the reason grey hair is so...assertive is because without pigment, the strands weigh less, so they can pop out and curl and kink and just generally behave like maniacs.

It was my (increasingly) grey hair's kinkiness that caused me to start perming my canopy, since even with color, the grey just kept popping up and twisting and frizzling, so that I had: fuzz halo; wavy canopy; curly bottom layer. Eek!

Yours looks like it will be more flattering.

Trending Topics