Over 40 makeup musings

Does anybody else remember the days when all the makeup you owned in the whole world could fit into one small cosmetic case? And the makeup stayed in there, most of the time, because you really only used it for special occasions?

And then, gradually, that makeup moved into a little tray in your bathroom..... and you started using it more often......

Now my one tray has expanded to 4....... and there is one whole tray for concealers alone!!!!!

Ah, the joys of aging......
I have a rolling cart and a very large fishing tackle box full. But I chock mine up to addiction more than the spackle required to fill in the wrinkles.
Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
Ha, I love it -- my 4 trays are ON a rolling cart! Along with lots of other stuff.

Yes, addiction could be a factor. But I dunno.... I'm thinking about reaching for the spackle!

And makeup's a lot more fun than it used to be, for some reason.

Wurly and proud!
Modified CG since 2008.
I'm still with the one small tray, and I split that with my daughter. It was jammed full until I purged old stuff.
I want to know why I can't find a good pressed powder that gives good coverage and a bit of sparkle. Matte is not my friend anymore.
There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
wavycurly40+, you are right: MU is more fun than it used to be! I love makeup but don't wear a full face often because I work from home now.

I do wear lipgloss, so I feed my addiction with samples from e-tailers to keep the spending down. That also lets me use up stuff faster instead of accumulating dozens of glosses.
shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
i'm not even going to tell y'all how much i have!

My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
I'm still with the one small tray, and I split that with my daughter. It was jammed full until I purged old stuff.
I want to know why I can't find a good pressed powder that gives good coverage and a bit of sparkle. Matte is not my friend anymore.
Originally Posted by cynaminbear
I remember when I was a little girl or 7 or 8 y/o looking at my mom's make-up, not being able to wait until I was old enough to wear some. For the time she had what was considered "alot" of make-up. However it was in a box, about shoe box size under the bathroom vanity. 2 lipsticks, (the red for evening & the more natural for day), 1 black mascara, 1 blue, 1 green & 1 kind of pink/nude eyeshadow, 1 black eye liner pencil, one little pot of blush & the Coty Airspun powder, a pressed powder & a couple brushes & sponges.

NOW to see my make-up in a rubbermaid storage thing on rollers,with 4 big drawers & 2 shorter drawers. 2 desktop 6 drawer rubbermaid containers with 5 gram loose pigment pots packed in them. One tray with the bare necessaties on desk by mirror with the UDPP, make-up primer, concealor's & stuff I use every day, brushes in 3 containers setting everywhere........ make-up is an addiction but I tell the hubby it is "art".

As we gracefully age matte is not our friend anymore, but then again neither is alot of glitter & sparkle's. I have yet to find a powder I felt had good enough coverage to use as foundation alone since I got stuck on MAC studio fix liquid. To fix the matte problem I do use a light dusting of studio fix powder with a MAC 187 brush just to set make-up (oh, not around the eyes, the powder just settles in the fine grace lines), & then I like their mineralize pressed powders with a MAC 187 brush for just a touch of "highlight". Just a quick dust on forehead, down nose & over top of cheeks. It is very pretty, not over done or cakey, just a good glow. The new blond/redhead/brunette collection powders are WONDERFUL! Using redhead currently.
Dayum! I think I may be atypical. Apart from some stored makeup I used for dance performance I have one portable planner with all my makeup and brushes. It has 2 palette "pages" that I interchange depending on season/color. That and a little pencil case with my lipsticks is it. Before I had this system I was using makeup badly, or out of frustration not using it at all.

My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Quote:
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
I have a large tray too, but the funny thing is I only use about as much as SBB has in her pocket planner. Yet....I don't get rid of the stuff I don't use. I wonder if I'm a hoarder.
3a/medium texture/normal porosity
hoarding is what some of the MAC-addicts who post at Specktra do; they have limited edition items they never use just to say they have them.
My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
I had a large tray of makeup even in my early teenage years. Nowadays...well, let's just say that I have enough to last me til the undertaker makes me up, and he will have enough leftover to makeup another 1,000 people.
SBB: I'm insanely jealous of your sleek, streamlined makeup system!

RCW: I shall try not to hover, vulture-like, at your deathbed, waiting for the leftover makeup to be divvied out! (Or I could just suck up to you, and wind up in the will!)
I love makeup but I just have a small box on my make up table of the stuff I use every day plus a jar of brushes, tweezers, etc.
And I have a small drawer of spare mascara, powder puffs, etc and things like nose hair trimmers which I didn't need in my younger days. : )
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
Dayum! I think I may be atypical. Apart from some stored makeup I used for dance performance I have one portable planner with all my makeup and brushes. It has 2 palette "pages" that I interchange depending on season/color. That and a little pencil case with my lipsticks is it. Before I had this system I was using makeup badly, or out of frustration not using it at all.

Originally Posted by Suburbanbushbabe
I am in the same group as SBB, I have a little case with 4 brushes, 1 lipstick, 1 gloss, 1 mascara, 1 blush, 1 pressed powder, 1 natural tone eyeshadow, 1 eyeshadow for my eyebrows. I only alternate the lipstick/gloss based on the season. (I have two other color combinations)

I do have other eyeshadows but they only are used for special occasions (anniversary, birthday, Christmas).

When I was younger, I had tons of makeup but now, less is more.

Yes, pretty boring but it works for me.

Germany Curly

Last Relaxer(Texturizer): Aug. 2005
BC: May 2006

SBB: I'm insanely jealous of your sleek, streamlined makeup system!

RCW: I shall try not to hover, vulture-like, at your deathbed, waiting for the leftover makeup to be divvied out! (Or I could just suck up to you, and wind up in the will!)
Originally Posted by wavycurly40+
Just look and see where Trish McEvoy is sold near you and call to set up a free session with a consultant. They choose the colors, and show me how to apply (they do one eye, then I do the other). It's expensive, but probably not more so then any of the other ones (MAC, Bobbi Brown,etc.). And the colors in that palette page in the photo (eyes on the left, blush/contour on the right), most of that stuff is long lasting-that page was purchased late fall of 2007 and I've only replaced the top left and bottom right rectangles. I bought a new palette last June for spring/summer. I typically purchase makeup once a year except for stuff like lipstick and pencils that wear out faster.
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Quote:
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
I tend to use the bare minimum makeup: I have one concealer, one pressed mineral foundation compact, one blush, one mascara and one combination eyebrow/eyeliner powder. I also have one tube of lipstick and one gloss. I keep a little bag of eyeshadows under my sink that I use when going out - maybe once/twice a year or so! (I have no life!)
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I'm in the SBB camp. I have a shallow tin, about 8" by 6" and it's not full. I also have a mug that holds my brushes but even if I added them to the tin it wouldn't be full. I've never been into make-up and only use it now out of necessity (gotta love ageing!).
3b in South Australia.
I have a small drawer filled to the brim with makeup, but what I actually use on a daily basis only takes a tiny amount of space in the very front of the drawer. I just can't bear to throw the rest of it away. SBB, I almost started drooling over the pic you posted! Is that an eyeshadow quad? Beautiful colors.
Speckla
My makeup collection becomes smaller and smaller as I age. I buy better and fewer than when I was younger. 99 cent Wet and Wild just doesn't cut it anymore. Merle Norman powder/mineral blush and face powder are my best friend. 1 eyeliner, 1 eyebrow pencil, 1 eyeshadow (four color combo - for green eyes) compact, 1 blush, 1 face powder, and 1 mascara. I have one brush for the mineral foundation and blush. I use the applicator that came with the eyeshadow. It would all fit into a sandwich size ziplock baggie (with room). I keep it in a small basket.
Mine is really minimal too. One tinted moisturizer, one Bobbie Brown eye concealer, one pressed powder (rarely used), three shades of eye shadow (two for eyeliner only), one mascara, one lip color, one lip gloss.
< member since 2006. No idea where 1969 came from.

Trending Topics