Vit C, Retinol & DMAE together?

I have researched products and have invested in all of these recently, but I'm not sure if I should use all three together...?

For all the skin care experts, should I alternate DMAE with Vit C? Is Vit C okay to wear during the day, under a sunscreen, of course?

Should I just alternate Vit C and retinol and night. How should I use them? Thanks a lot in advance
3c
Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
CoWash: VO5 kiwi
Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
i use Vitamin C serum day and night. under sunscreen and makeup during the day and sometimes with other moisturizer at night.
My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
I just recently started using these products myself. I was told by non-professionals, but by people that should know, to use them as follows.

DMAE is firming & safe to use with most other products & to use it morning & night.

Vit C morning & night, except read the exception of using it with retinol or home facial peels.

Retinol you started using every other night & build up your skin toleration, as it can be irritating & to not use the Vit C serum the same night you use retinol, to alternate them, use each one every other night.

Eventually working up to using retinol every night as skin tolerates it & using Vit C in the AM only. Using DMAE both AM & PM.

Also if you do any home facial peels, (lactic acid, glycolic acid or TCA) to not use Vit C or retinol the same day as a lactic acid or glycolic acid peel & not for 7 days after a TCA peel.

Vit C, retinol & acid peels or any combination can be to irritating to most skin if used together.

Also no Vit C used at the same time as renova or Rx Vit A products except by advice of your doctor as they might be irritating together.
Thank you, that's very helpful! I just added the retinol 3-4 nights ago and I'm tolerating it pretty well every night so far.

Do you happen to know if DMAE should be applied first, under the Vit C or retinol, or over?

If you are looking for a good sunscreen/lotion, I've been using Lancome Bienfait SPF 30 for a few years now and I like it a lot.
3c
Thank you, that's very helpful! I just added the retinol 3-4 nights ago and I'm tolerating it pretty well every night so far.

Do you happen to know if DMAE should be applied first, under the Vit C or retinol, or over?

If you are looking for a good sunscreen/lotion, I've been using Lancome Bienfait SPF 30 for a few years now and I like it a lot.
Originally Posted by mandyv
I had the same question about "what to put on first". Basically explained to me this way, "thinnest conisistancy products first" then work your way up. Serums first, then a lotion, then a cream for example. With the exception of a retinol or Rx product. Retinol or Rx were to be applied first, wait a few minutes & let them absorb well, then start with anything else on top from thinnest to thickest.

I am looking for a different Vit C serum right now. I have tried 2 different ones, one from Sephora & another online brand that was recommended. Both to me were so watery & runy in consistency, they just made a big mess. If I use the dropper, it runs off your face before you can rub it in, or it runs all in between your fingers before you can get it to your face & so far at least with the 2 brands I have tried, I can tell nothing, just like putting a few drops of water on my face & rubbing it in. I know it takes time, but at least I figured I could at least tell I had put something on & not just feel like a fresh washed naked face. If anyone knows of a good vit c serum with a little "body" or texture to it, please fill me in on the secret, LOL.

I use retinol first, let it absorb a few minutes, then vit C, then DMAE, eye cream, moisturizer..... I also like Lancome, but I use the fibrolastin one with SPF 15 for day use. I use Philsophy "When Hope is not Enough" for night, something about the texture of it, the feel, tried alot of them but always seem to go back to this night cream at least.

Hugs,
Teresa
I am looking for a different Vit C serum right now. I have tried 2 different ones, one from Sephora & another online brand that was recommended. Both to me were so watery & runy in consistency, they just made a big mess. If I use the dropper, it runs off your face before you can rub it in,
Originally Posted by SexiAngel
Thanks!

I like Skinceuticals C E Ferulic. I'm about 4 weeks into my first bottle ($135) but I like it. It's a little tricky to use the dropper but i've gotten better at it. I'm not going to try to make my own....

I like the Lancome sunscreen b/c my face is naturally oily and it doesn't make me greasy, plus it's 30 SPF.

I started the dmae a few months ago and the C one month ago and my skin has never looked better. Now that i've added retinol, it'll look even better, presumably....
3c

Trending Topics