Do you aim for pretty or prensentable...

as you get older? Since I have hit my mid-forties I think presentable is what I aim for and it is a lot less work and a realistic goal for me. It seems that since I hit my forties some of my 20s and 30s glow disappeared so I am much less disappointed with my end result when I can simply make myself look presentable.
presentable has always been the best i can hope for.
My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
I am for presentable, striking, eye-catching (in a good way). I've never been pretty.
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Quote:
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
Speckla
Aw, heck, I aim for hot. It's all about what I like and how I feel. Does someone else think I look hot? Don't know, don't care!
That's an interesting question. I have to admit that part of me still wants to be pretty. Maybe it's because I really only started being interested in hair, clothes, makeup, etc., when I was almost 40. That's when I started playing up the wave in my hair, which was the first time I really started getting "looks" -- more than I ever had when I was younger.

Having said that, though, I can see the writing on the wall. I'm 43 now, and really noticing that my face is getting a little more tired and older looking. I think I'm ready for the next re-invention of self. I have seen photos of some ladies on these boards who look FABULOUS, but not like they're trying to look young and sexy. They look mature and sophisticated and, to use SBB's word, striking.

That may be my next goal. Just gotta figure out the how part.....

Wurly and proud!
Modified CG since 2008.
Aw, heck, I aim for hot. It's all about what I like and how I feel. Does someone else think I look hot? Don't know, don't care!
Originally Posted by Speckla
Hey Speckla, we were posting at the same time. Yeah, you're right. Hot! I want that, too. Maybe more than pretty...... can I reconcile that with the mature and sophisticated? Please tell me yes!!!!
Speckla
Hey Speckla, we were posting at the same time. Yeah, you're right. Hot! I want that, too. Maybe more than pretty...... can I reconcile that with the mature and sophisticated? Please tell me yes!!!!
Originally Posted by wavycurly40+
There's something sexy about a mature women with a little silver in the hair and some crinkles around her eyes that doesn't try to look younger or act like she isn't aging. Acceptance is sexy and maturing isn't a bad thing.
I still aim for pretty; I am just less hard on myself when I fall short. And my early 40s was the first time in my life I started going out sometimes VOLUNTARILY without makeup on. I think I have become for accepting of what I really look like as opposed to how I can "get myself" to look.

Plus my boyfriend says I look pretty no matter what
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
Presentable because I am pretty lazy at heart.

Also, it gives my pretty days more impact, lol.

I think that if I work to take care myself, health, skin, hair, etc., then presentable will be "pretty enough" even if it isn't "done up pretty."
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
There's something sexy about a mature women with a little silver in the hair and some crinkles around her eyes that doesn't try to look younger or act like she isn't aging. Acceptance is sexy and maturing isn't a bad thing.
Good point.
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
I guess I aim for as pretty as possible and eye-catching in a good way, not a 'holy crap, wth is she wearing?' kind of way. Hot would be great, but not realistic for me.
There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
Yes yes yes!
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Quote:
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
Hey, I like you guys. You have a great attitude about all this stuff. Cool!
I shoot for presentable. And that's the whole package, from hair to face to clothes. I do the best I can to make sure I'm comfortable with how I look when I leave the house and I sort of feel "to heck with the rest of it and what other people might think".
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
I have never aimed for pretty. I've mostly aimed to make myself feel good when I look in the mirror.
And nowadays I aim for something that doesn't scare kids or dogs. : )
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
Speckla, you phrased that so well! And that is exactly what I strive for. I'm not sure that I always get there, but I think I get pretty close most of the time.
I aim high and shoot for pretty, hoping that I'll end up at least presentable, LOL.
2C/3A/3B - modified CG - med./fine, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, YTCarrots or Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite, KCCC, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
Same here. I aim for pretty but usually wind up as presentable.
CG since 1/09. Protein and Mag Sulfate sensitive.
Hair Type - 3A.
Co-wash - Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner.
Low-poo as needed - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shampoo.
Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.
To be honest, I don't think I've really thought about it lately. Not like when I was in my 20's anyway. I put myself together as much as I can with only the amount of effort that I want to take. I think my focus is more on how I feel about me than how I think anyone else feels. In some ways I finally feel like I matter more! And it's about time -- one of the benefits of being in my 40's!!
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I aim for "pretty for me". That means I go for a look that pleases me. I no longer look 21 but I am holding my own, so I just work with what I have.

SBB:

I am afraid I do not agree with your comment about never being pretty. I saw the picture of you with Gregory Peck - definitely pretty! When your hair grows out, you will be stunning... JMHO

Germany Curly

Last Relaxer(Texturizer): Aug. 2005
BC: May 2006

Trending Topics