Searching for a New Job at My Age

CurlySuzGuide
I have been literally on over 30 interviews over the past 2 years, and not ONE offer! I have all the skills and the background for the positions I interview for, do well on the testing, and yet -- nothing. Most of the HR people I meet like me, and others, well, you can tell by the look on their face when they meet me that it's going to be a "no go" because of my age (I'm 54).

I asked a recruiter at one of the employment agencies I'm associated with and asked her to give me honest feedback on why I'm having so much trouble finding a job. If she believes its the age, I told her to let me know but if it's not, I don't want to use that as an excuse. Mind you, I don't look my age at all, but how much younger CAN you look at 54?

She told me she's never had any negative feedback on me whatsoever.

As good as that is to hear, that brings me back to square one. Of course, if it's my age that's deterring HR people (or even if I make it to the next round) they're not going to say "she's too old.") My head is in a good place in general (it does get to me sometimes, though, of course) but I really need to get out of the job I'm presently in.

So, that's my story. Thanks for letting me vent.
If the employment agency isn't getting negative feedback and the companies you interviewed with are hiring younger people, it could very well be age discrimination. Might be hard to prove though.

I was out of work from 2003-2004, and finally ended up getting a job through a temp agency. If it wasn't for my department manager, all the new hires at the company I work for would be young people.
Type 2b. Wash: WEN pomegranate or fig. Leave-in conditioner: Alaffia beautiful curls for wavy hair, Spiral Solutions Protein spray. Style: Curls In A Bottle, Ecostyler, or KCCC.
CurlySuzGuide
Thanks, Bunnie. I figured that was the case, and I'm not out to "prove" anything. I just want a job.

I hear you about temp agencies. That's the best way to get a job. The problem is I am currently working and can't afford to leave my job to take a chance at a temp agency. I'll keep trying.
Banned
Good luck, Suz!
These ppl are idiots. They are missing out on such a wonderful person.
I feel your pain. I think it's just a tough job market out there for many.
Although I'm not unhappy with my present job I really need a better one and I've also been on many interviews over the past two years that have gone...nowhere.

Sometimes these companies just end up deciding that they are not really going to fill or create a position. Sometimes (and this the most frustrating) they re-advertise the job but make the requirements higher.

If it makes you feel any better the company that I work for has filled several positions over the years I've worked there with people over 50. These are clerical/admin positions (justFYI). But I've worked at other places that had a truly diverse workforce with people in ages ranging from 18 - almost retirement.

Good luck to you Suz.
3B/3C
No more PJ tendencies. Tigi Curls Rock Curl Amplifier is the best thing to make my curls rock all day! Next best are KCCC and Re:Coil +HE TT Gel.
Not over 40, but I just wanted to chime to remind you to keep your head up and not to get discouraged.

I recently went through the apply/interview/nothing happens process. It's very frustrating. It's a tough market right now. I finally got something, but it was more of being in the right place at the right time kind of thing, and it all happened because a friend was looking out.

And that just reaffirms what I'd been hearing all along: NETWORK! Cause it isn't about what you know...it's about who you know. Enlist the help of friends, and don't be afraid to take a chance doing something in an unconventional way.
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

Hang in there CurlySuzGuide!

My last job search took almost 2 years. I was 39. Incredibly frustrating & confusing & demoralizing. Finally got an offer thanks to a good word from someone 6 degrees separated (we'd never actually met )

If you have the time & energy...high profile volunteer work can pay off. You can meet people who are looking to hire, or who know someone or whose kids know someone & so forth.
formerly Castella
(my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
I am 44, and just embarked on a new career. I am now a licensed real estate professional. It took a while, and alot of money, yet, here I am. I am so excited. I just got my license on Thur, the 19th. It is my dream job, being able to help people get into homes. Ha, even on my honeymoon, I made my husband go with me to look at homes. I am obsessed with being able to find the perfect home for families LOL.

You can do it, whatever you decide.
CurlySuzGuide
Thanks everyone. I never give up hope. It may take a while longer but I know it will happen. Glad to hear everyone's success stories. It's very encouraging. Keep 'em comin!
I agree with spiderlashes5000. Many times it's not what you know, but who you know. I would love to get out of my job, but I don't know where else to go. I've considered schooling, but I'm not sure if I could get hired at my age. Where I work now there are a lot of very young new hires. There have been a few older ones, but they have been hired at less money. It really sucks. I wish you the best of luck.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
i have left the job market and work for myself. i am a clinical social worker in private practice--in this field age can be a positive. think of your skills and possibly start your own business. why not??? you have lots of life experience and probably are very competent at many things. people need help!
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
Good luck; hope things turn your way soon.

Our local economy has been hit hard recently. A large area employer has just laid off a lot of people. What I find hard to come to grips with (I understand the financial reasoning) is most of those let go were people who had 25-35 years with the company. Now all these 50 year olds are out there starting over. I have seen this happen so often in business. You get years in with the company, which also means you build up your salary, then a cutback and you are the first to go. I sure hope all the younger workers out there realize this is something that has been going on for years and someday they will be our age.

I'm sure if it is your age, it is something that will be hard to prove. Here's hoping the right thing comes along soon.
3b/c

Trending Topics