Dry eyes, skin, etc.

Do many of you have issues of dryness since you turned 40? My eyes are very dry and sensitive as is my skin now. How do you remedy it? I saw a movie recently and this incredibly sexist man said to his young daughter that she better meet a man soon before she dries out like a steak that was on the grill too long. That line angered me with regard to the need for a woman to rush and find a man before she's over the hill so to speak but the kernel of truth in the statement is that dryness does occur as hormones shift in women and I am sure that there are ways to deal with these changes.
I am more sensitive. Had to stop using body cleansers with sodium sulfates. And I usually don't lather up on my extremities (except feet). But I do use a non-sudsing scrub a couple of times a week to get rid of dead skin.
shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
I cannot help with the dry eyes, but for my face I use the oil cleansing method http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/
and for the rest of me I use pure coconut oil. My skin is softer and smoother than it has been since I was 16. HTH.
CurlyFireHorse
Hair: 2a or 3a (not sure), very porous and fine as frog hair
Day 1: Cowash and condition with AO GPB, ACV Rinse,
Co-Kra gel (this stuff is fantastic)

Day 2: KCKT, KCCC, plop, KCCC, plop again, air dry
Day 3: Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Coil Jam
Day 4: IAGirl's PT, KBB DT, FSG

Co-Kra gel is my own concoction of okra boiled in coconut milk. It is a cross between FSG and KCCC and leaves my hair very soft and shiny
I'm 47 and still waiting to dry out a little bit. Having spent my entire life as an extra-juicy person, I think I've done my time. Where is the drier skin I was promised? I'm tired of my makeup sliding off, of having to wash my hair daily, of having my eyeliner smear because my eyes tear too much.

I've seen TV ads for Rx medicines for dry eyes. Restasis is the name. You might try asking your doctor about it.

http://www.restasis.com/default.htm?x=Restasis

My SIL likes to say that "men age like fine wine, but women age like vinegar". Funny, yes, but I don't agree. SOME men age well, but a lot don't. I see more well-maintained older women than men.
RCW dry eyes are actually watery. I do use restasis but it is not helping much. I have read that eating a lot of fish or taking fish oil or flax seed oil pills can help.
After my cataract surgeries, my surgeon said my eyes were dry. He gave me samples of Optive and Systane drops (I think one of the companies that makes these is the company that makes Restasis, mentioned above). I like them a lot and have purchased and used up full sizes of both, but they are pricey. He did mention that I should just use lubricating/moisturizing drops of some sort, that most brands are basically the same. I just ordered a bottle of Similasan drops; I've read they are homeopathic so I figured worth a try.

Yes, my skin is drier. A couple of months ago, I started using a moisturizer (with no SPF) under my sunscreen (Shiseido SPF55, which I love and have repurchased several times, but it can be drying). And I've made it a habit to switch off my retinol/retinoid product nights with nights that I use just a great nighttime moisturizer that doesn't promise the world -- this has helped a lot with improving dryness and I still get some benefit of the retinol product also.
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
My body skin has been so dry. It's like the moisturizers I'm using aren't soaking in. I'm going to scrub my body tonight with a course sponge then use my moisturizer. Hope it helps. I feel like a reptile. My skin is so rough.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
Blepharitis is a possibility... it's pretty common and a definite cause of dry eyes. The consensus seems to be that there's no 'cure' but that there are ways to alleviate the symptoms so that they don't bother you too much. I find if I actually DO the eyelid hygeine (the warm compresses/scrubs/massages) everything is MUCH better. It's a pain, though, I'll admit! (taking a max dose of omega 3 via fish oil is also a huge help)

This link has good info

http://www.agingeye.net/otheragingeye/blepharitis.php

and this one has a forum and other great links (if you want to delve further)

http://www.blepharitisforum.com/
Hi Lotsawaves!

Actually the scrubber sponge is GREAT for body exfoliation, and so cheap too - it really works better in many respects than all these fancy $38 body scrubs, as elegant as those might be and a "treat" and all. I picked up that scrubber sponge idea from a wealthy lady who afford the whole STORE full of spa stuff, but she was frugal in her skincare habits. Anyhow, I've had the same thing lately, from a recent bout with flu(we're not in a dry cold area so that's not the culprit). Skin can become extremely dry all over with this illness on account of fever which dehydrates you. I was drinking plenty of hot liquids too, to no avail. You might try extra-virgin coconut oil or whipped unrefined shea butter for a body moisturizer instead of commercial lotions, most of which "sit" on top of the skin and make you think they are working when in fact they are not. Lotions with mineral oil, the most common out there, are the worst culprits in this regard, and often end up drying the skin out more. Mineral oil is used because it is very cheap and neutral in effect to the skin, in that most people aren't allergic to it. The trick to using simple natural oils is to apply to DAMP skin, then they seal in the moisture, plus they are nutritive to the skin. Olive oil works great for a lot of people used this way too. Hope this helps!
One thing that has really helped my winter snakeskin legs is washing and shaving with conditioner (Suave Coconut is my fav). I also make my own body butter (cocoa butter, shea butter, jojoba oil) which helps with dry skin.

I always had oily skin on my face but I would say it's normal to dry now. I use the oil cleansing method and use jojoba, sunflower, safflower, hempseed oils both for cleansing and moisturizing.

My eyes do tend to water alot more than they used too. It can be annoying but i just live with it for now.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
Thanks, Cara4art.

I think it may be the water in my apartment. I started having this problem when I moved here a year ago. I had a water softener in my house. I didn't know about the mineral oil. I had started using baby oil in my bath. I was using castor oil before that. I have some body butter, so I'm going to try that. I take the flax oil, fish oil & Omega-3 Complex, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference. I'm also going to add some Vitamin E to my body butter.

I read that Doris Day would put Vaseline all over her body at night. That would be so messy, but if it works, I'll definitely do it.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
"I think it may be the water in my apartment. I started having this problem when I moved here a year ago. I had a water softener in my house. I didn't know about the mineral oil. I had started using baby oil in my bath. I was using castor oil before that. I have some body butter, so I'm going to try that. I take the flax oil, fish oil & Omega-3 Complex, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference. I'm also going to add some Vitamin E to my body butter.

I read that Doris Day would put Vaseline all over her body at night. That would be so messy, but if it works, I'll definitely do it." - Lotsawaves

I hear ya about the water - that makes a BIG difference too. Hard water is just awful on the skin! I know, because I lived in New Mexico for 12 years, and unless one has a water softener in the place one lives(most of the time we didn't)there was always the scenario of taking a shower, and if one didn't slather stuff on the MINUTE one gets out of the shower, one would be dry as a bone, seriously. Add to this the semi-arid climate, and it's not a pretty picture. Imagine what this does to hair too, especially for us curlies! There, I HAD to use strong detergent shampoos, because non-detergent shampoos simply wouldn't get the minerals out of the hair. There was a joke that went around about Santa Fe hair - it's dull, dry and coated. There, clarifiers were one's BFF. Hard water also makes one's skin more sensitive too, adding to the challenge.
Here, in SF, the water is a lot softer natural, so there's a huge difference.
After my cataract surgeries, my surgeon said my eyes were dry. He gave me samples of Optive and Systane drops (I think one of the companies that makes these is the company that makes Restasis, mentioned above). I like them a lot and have purchased and used up full sizes of both, but they are pricey. He did mention that I should just use lubricating/moisturizing drops of some sort, that most brands are basically the same. I just ordered a bottle of Similasan drops; I've read they are homeopathic so I figured worth a try.
Originally Posted by curls2grow
I just had cataract surgery; first eye on Jan 29, second one on Feb 5. I developed a severe light sensitivity about a week after the second one. For about 3 weeks it was almost unbearable. Dr changed my drops several times; the steroid drops seemed to aggravate it. The last drop he put me on (Fluorometholon or something like that) seems to be the best for my eyes. He told me he wants to err on the side of caution so has me on them for another two weeks. He told me at my appt this week that he thinks I am battling dry eyes which is contributing to my problem. Therefore, after I get off the steroid drop he wants me to go on an over the counter lubricating drop. He gave me a couple samples of Systane. I will try them for a while but will be curious as to what you find that helps you the most. Keep me posted. Would love to know how the Similasan works.

For anyone who read my cataract surgery thread a while ago, I do want to say the surgery was a success. My vision is much better. Everything points to this sensitivity lessening over the months. It's just been an awful side effect to live with for now.
3b/c

Trending Topics