forever young backlash

Begin rant:

Does anyone see this coming? I mean a backlash against the botoxed, facelifted, whatever it takes to "look young" mentality. I feel more repulsed by it everyday. And yet, I still feel tweaked when I see someone my age who looks fantastic "for her age".

I think the numerous ads (some of them fairly large) and articles on Botox, Restalyn etc, in the dressing room of my health club pushed me over the edge. I've been walking by them for a few months now never failing to feel a twinge of regret. At the same time, I'm letting go of the idea of wanting to look young for my age. I don't envy the admiring glances my teenage daughters get.

I'm not so virtuous as to think I wouldn't have had some work done, if I had aged very poorly. I think that's a different issue. And I'm not criticizing anyone for her choices.

Does anyone think it will be easier for our daughters, nieces, young friends?
cg Dec 08
fine to med texture w/ some coarse / high porosity 2c to 3a

Last edited by meadowlark2; 03-03-2009 at 06:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Speckla
I don't think younger girls will have it easier as they age because teenagers and 20-somethings are getting botox and other work *before* they even have wrinkles or age-signs.
I wonder if those ads are in the men's dressing room at your health club?
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
I believe that it is a personal decision and I don't judge people who choose to have some work done .. but ... I don't see the appeal in having someone look at you and have it be that obvious .... your lips are turned up and are unnaturally full ... your upper lip doesn't move and you're face is basically expressionless ... ????

I equate some of the obvious work with my makeup lessons when I was younger .... I was told that the idea was to enhance your beauty, not to have someone spot your eye shadow when you rounded the corner. If it is that obvious that you've had work done, then I don't think it has been done well.

Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
I wonder if those ads are in the men's dressing room at your health club?
Originally Posted by Suburbanbushbabe

The men get ads for hair replacement surgeries and erectile dysfunction meds. They don't get off scott-free.
I do agree that if it's really THAT obvious that one has "had work done", then it wasn't well done, IMO. But there are an awful lot of people who have gotten onto the treadmill of anti-aging treatments beyond simple good skin care and sunblocks, and to me, it looks scary, period. Personally, I'm not even the market for skincare beyond a cleanser, moisturizer, and a mild exfoliator, let alone all this other stuff!
No, I don't think it will be easier for younger women, as I'm over on a skincare board where people as young as 22 are freaking out about one little freckle that popped up and one little expression line under their eyes and thinking they need all kinds of intervention, etc. It just HAS to be a lot of pressure on young women to see the Photoshopped-to-death photos of models and celebrities in the magazines, and try to measure up to that. Also, getting started on industrial-strength treatments while so young can't be good for the skin for the long term - it will ruin it's barrier, for one thing! So these young women might end up looking older sooner, and definitely poor diets that are so common don't help either. For older women to see the same stuff done to mature celebrities is not easy either. Best in fact to not look at this stuff, back slowly away from these magazines, and even limit TV exposure as well. Instead, look around you at healthy people who are mature - no way do they look like these folks who have their skins stretched tight as a drum or artificially-plumped up with fillers, etc. I said to my husband the other day, that the long-term effects and safety of these popular fillers is not known, along with a lot of the newer anti-aging creams etc.
But one thing that might render all of this moot, is the economy. Even plastic surgeons and medical spas/cosmetic dermatologists are starting to notice a reduction in business, as even wealthier people who consume these types of services are cutting back. Another economic factor is that people might end up caring less about this kind of stuff when it comes down to the nitty-gritty about keeping one's home, or losing one's job and not being able to get another one at all, or when the ability to get food is compromised. We're in a severe recession you know.
Just bumping this up - kind of surprised that not many people here have had anything to say about this yet...
Everyone should do what makes them happy, but I'm not sure it DOES make people happy.
When I see celebrities on the red carpet that I barely recognize (they don't look better, they just look freakishly smooth and odd) I wonder if they are happy that they look like that.

I personally don't think I will ever have work done. I don't mind looking my age and I think old people should look old. Plus I still go out in the sun and I have a simple skin care routine and don't use any anti-aging products.

I think young people today will have a harder time than we do now, feeling the pressure to be perpetually 20. Makes me sad.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
Hi jeepcurlygirl!
I so-o agree with you! I don't use any anti-aging products either, and I'm not on the total ban on sun exposure either. I mean, over on this other board I hear people worrying about sunlight that comes in a window for heaven's sake, from 20-year-olds! This is no way to live one's life, to be THAT afraid of the sun! How do they think their food grows? - Yikes! Granted, it's not great to be baking out there all the time either, but it makes more sense to me to enjoy life and nature with some time outdoors and it relieves a lot of stress. I've noticed that the younger people are not at ALL relaxed about their appearance - there is the endless angst over perceived flaws, from head to toe, at age 22. If they only knew how good they have it now, with smooth skin, good hair, and a nice shape(that they now think is too fat, even though they're a size 4). I see a lot of young people who look like they are high consumers of ALL beauty treatments, from head to foot, here in SF. There's a med-spa in practically every neighborhood, even several in some neighborhoods, and a host of plastic surgeons and dermatologists too. Granted, if one has skin problems, a dermatologist can set you on a good path but this other stuff is something else. Even dermatologists are recommending for women in only their 20s to get onto Retin-A(in the younger age group, it used to be only for acne, but now for general anti-aging) - whoa! They've just expanded their market into one that is highly insecure about their appearance to begin with, in our cultural climate!
I don't have a TV, but see it fleetingly at my gym. One thing that strikes me about virtually everyone, unless they are doing an interview with "the man on the street" is how artificial and plastic people look, in all age groups. It takes a lot of resources to get that look. Again, maybe the failing economy will slow this stuff down somewhat and people will get back to a more basic sensible approach like yours, and mine, I might add. I also think we're going to see more mature women saying a big NO to a lot of this stuff, especially when it comes out that all these fillers etc. cause something drastic like bone cancer or something like that.
Have you seen the articles in some of the magazines that start off... "This is what (insert age) looks like?" I find those amusing, because it's really a photo of what someone who's that age looks like after having cosmetic procedures done. They don't seem to show pictures of "regular" folks who haven't had any work done. Sets a pretty difficult standard.

As for me, I have been using retin-a, originally for acne after having been on accutane. Now I like it for its side benefit of helping with age spots and wrinkles, not just because it helps with my acne. I don't see myself ever going the Botox route or having surgery, because, really how could one ever stop? At this point I don't even color my grays because I don't like the idea of having to do long-term maintenance like that. I don't know if I'm too cheap or if it's just that I'm comfortable with how I'm aging. At least so far.
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

[quote=2poodles;896389]Have you seen the articles in some of the magazines that start off... "This is what (insert age) looks like?" I find those amusing, because it's really a photo of what someone who's that age looks like after having cosmetic procedures done. They don't seem to show pictures of "regular" folks who haven't had any work done. Sets a pretty difficult standard.

I have seen those articles. Especially in More Magazine which is supposed to be for over 40's. I find that especially maddening. On the other hand, I think the Dove Campaign for Real Beauty is excellent. I love seeing real women in ads.

Even though I reject the idea of staying young forever, I'm not immune to feeling a little dissatisfied with myself when I see people my age or older (even if they are celebrities and don't live in my world) who look fantastic. I think cosmetic procedures are getting more and more sophisticated and not everyone has that scary, stretched smooth look. Some celebrities just look fresher and not obviously worked on.

I hope there is a serious backlash against this worship of youth. I think having "work done" will become more commonplace in the years ahead. Kind of like coloring hair is now. Honestly, how often does a person have to be exposed to something before it begins to seem normal?
cg Dec 08

Have you seen the commercial with Raquel Welch in it? She looks fabulous & she's 68.

Sorry to guano.....
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
Aside from my concerns about all this plastic surgery injectible fillers etc., one thing I DO intend to continue doing that does make a difference in one's overall appearance is to eat a REALLY clean diet, and work out, until it's no longer possible for me to exercise(hopefully a good long time!). Plus I still color my hair(another thing I'm not giving up anytime soon, until my face looks too old that is). The difference between people who live and eat clean, and exercise meaningfully over a period of decades and those who don't, is striking. A woman of 60 who has kept fit, even though her skin has wrinkles etc. still looks perkier, more vital and healthier, than one who has never exercised and is overweight to boot. This is far different from the wholesale body modifications like augmentations, and various fat-removal procedures, etc. that often make the body look as artificial as the face. If you want to see scary stuff, the bible magazine of all this kind of stuff, basically one giant advertorial for plastic surgeons, cosmetic dermatolgists, etc. is the magazine "New Beauty" - check it out at Borders'.
SBB There are no ads in the men's dressing room of my fitness club. Didn't think so. But just checked with DH.

RCW. I don't think men get off scott free. However,generally, men just are not subject to the same insecurities about their looks. They have other insecurities.

Cara4art I agree. Staying fit and vital is the best way to age. I think having a purposeful life with close relationships is just as important. That goes back to the whole attitude thing.
Thanks goodness for good genes...everyone in my family is or has aged well...I don't think I will have work done either...

I work out, wear sunscreen, have a good skin care regimen(well working on it) work out and eat in moderation...(well getting better) I do pig out once in a while..I am not freaking out over it..much anymore..
It's hard to say. I could see people getting more of these procedures in the future, rather than fewer, simply because medical advances will make them easier or cheaper or both. I also think all of these procedures have become more mainstream and/or "acceptable," or even expected, as we see changes in the standard for what "normal" aging looks like.

Of course, now that everybody knows how important sunscreen is, and now that OTC products have advanced so much, maybe the next generation will have fewer issues to "fix."

Personally, I'm hoping that wrinkles become fashionable tomorrow, because I cannot afford Botox, people! And I can't carry flattering candlelight around with me everywhere I go....
I don't think men get off scott free.
Originally Posted by meadowlark2
yeah, they do - in relation to us.

i talked about this on my dating thread - men my age and even younger look, not just older than me, they look OLD! but heaven forfend that any woman look her age!

My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
I don't think men get off scott free.
Originally Posted by meadowlark2
yeah, they do - in relation to us.

i talked about this on my dating thread - men my age and even younger look, not just older than me, they look OLD! but heaven forfend that any woman look her age!

Originally Posted by rouquinne
I agree, it is just about scott free, in relationship to us. I have noticed a lot of men my age "letting themselves go".In general they just don't feel the same need to look good. I also think its partly laziness. Even if women aren't going so far as to get work done, we work harder at maintaining ourselves. Our culture devalues us more quickly for looking sloppy or older.
cg Dec 08

Trending Topics