Skincare help....

I am approaching 40 and am still searching for skincare that makes a difference....

I have been using PSF products for the past year, and though I like them, I don't really see a dramatic difference. I sense our skin does not really change too much (my skin is not terrible - I just don't like my larger pores or my monthly pimples) and I am accepting that and just want to keep taking care of it.

My mother has HUGE under eye bags and I would love to prevent that as much as possible. I'd love to find a loved eye cream.

I know I do not moisturize enough, either.

I also have sun spots I would love lighten....
does PSF's lightening serum work? (as I recall, other lighteners such as hydroquiononeare difficult to buy without a prescription).

I am sure it's been posted before.... but what are your favorite products/routines??
in humidity hell south Florida or high and dry Colorado
CG since 2005
2a, 2b, 3b - fine hair, low density - low/normal porosity
washing: cj curl assurance gentle cleansing, cj daily fix
conditioning: cj smoothing, cj strengthening, giovanni 50/50 balance, darcy's pumpkin seed, kinky curly knot today
styling: homemade fsg, kinky curly curling custard, cj pattern pusha, botanical spirits magic curls puree
pt: cj curl fix, cj repair me
avoid: humectants, polyquats
RedCatWaves here is our resident skincare expert and has suggested some good things to people. However, a great skincare board with lots of good advice is Makeup Alley. But bottom-line, everyone's skin is different as far as what products they can tolerate, as often, mature skin takes more than just moisturizing, or even OTC treatment products to improve. For lightening up sun spots, if they are pretty light, and not too numerous, a vitamin C serum or an OTC skin brightening serum can help. If they are any further advanced than that, it takes a Rx retinoid and Rx hydroquinone to attack both the spots, and also skin texture issues which it sounds like you have. As far as the money spent on Rx stuff, it might seem a bit pricey up front, but consider this - there are a lot of worthless so-called anti-aging creams out there that are in 3 digits. When you look at that, a $65 tube of Retin-A looks like a downright bargain and it will do so much more for you.
As far as the undereye bags, IMO part of that is genetic, and she might never have taken care of her skin, been stressed-out for years, or not taken care of her health, all possibilities that might contribute. As far as eye creams go, there's a real controversy. Some people, usually young ones, say that all you need is to apply your regular moisturizer around your eyes and be done with it. That works when you're young, but not when you are older. A good eye cream doesn't have to be expensive either - I've used L'Oreal's Revitalift Eye for years, and I notice a difference when I skip it too. Granted, using eye creams won't put plastic surgeons out of business, as they are more cosmetic than anything, but they do help some. As far as real sagging and bagging though, surgery is what addresses that, often in the form of laser which tightens up that situation pronto.
Is your skin sensitive at all? That might limit your options. I personally have found this, since I'm 61 and need sunspot and texture treatment, but sensitive skin has gotten in the way of addressing this. I have to use a very simple routine that's bland, without too much exfoliation either.
Hope this helps some!
I've had great results with PSF's Phyto-lift Cranberry eye gel, I don't use it daily but when I've had a sleepless night or too much sodium (puffy eyes).

For sun spots and other age sports, I zap them at my esthetician's she has a lamprobe. It's costly, but worth it.

Hydrate your skin as much as possible, skin renews itself between the hours of 1 am and 3 am, use a deep penetrating moisturizer after cleansing at night.

Look for peptides and bioactives in facial serums.
2b/3a.
PSF DMAE is great for tightening...
3A/3B
I love Jessicurl HCC, Jessicurl Too Shea, KCKT, KCCC, CK and HESMU...but it took a LOT of trial error to get to these products that consistently work for ME.
Thanks for the replies!

I know I need to moisturize more (and look forward to moving away from very dry Colorado next month)...

It's simply amazing how much we age.... it's fascinating, really. I want to embrace it! Just not the puffy eyes, which I sense are genetic and I will eventually have to have surgeon help (but that's not for a long time!). Just want to prevent as much as I can.

Since I do not have medical insurance, guess I'll have to live with my sun spots a while longer....

Gotta keep the sunscreen going to avoid more!!

CurlyinColorado - what moisturizer do you use??
in humidity hell south Florida or high and dry Colorado
CG since 2005
2a, 2b, 3b - fine hair, low density - low/normal porosity
washing: cj curl assurance gentle cleansing, cj daily fix
conditioning: cj smoothing, cj strengthening, giovanni 50/50 balance, darcy's pumpkin seed, kinky curly knot today
styling: homemade fsg, kinky curly curling custard, cj pattern pusha, botanical spirits magic curls puree
pt: cj curl fix, cj repair me
avoid: humectants, polyquats
I cannot speak highly enough of the following:

Skinceuticals C&E w ferulic acid

Prevage

Kinerase products

Renova

Anthelios sunscreen
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
MyChelle, you can find them at Vitamin Cottage and in the organics section of King Soopers.

AM: cleanse with creamy pumpkin cleanser, then the phyto lift (if necessary) then deep repair creme

PM: cleanse with creamy pumpkin cleanser, apply perfect c serum then revitalizing night creme.

2-3x a week I'll do the fruit fiesta peel and I get facials once every two months or so.
2b/3a.

Last edited by CurlyinColorado; 04-07-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Banned
L~ I just wanted to say 'howdy'...good to see you!
It's simply amazing how much we age.... it's fascinating, really. I want to embrace it! Just not the puffy eyes, which I sense are genetic and I will eventually have to have surgeon help (but that's not for a long time!). Just want to prevent as much as I can.

Since I do not have medical insurance, guess I'll have to live with my sun spots a while longer....

Gotta keep the sunscreen going to avoid more!!

CurlyinColorado - what moisturizer do you use??
Originally Posted by frxncrls
I have the same problem. I'm getting the "family" bags under my eyes and I hate them. They aren't as bad as my mother's were but I take better care of my skin. I'm also embracing the ageing process - no choice - but not the bags! I think I'm going to have to have them done at some point.
Laura

Fine, 3A, but a lot of it.

http://public.fotki.com/latetocurls/

PW: Curly
PSF DMAE is great for tightening...
Originally Posted by alisons79
I just started using this, and love it! I tried the DMAE serum from GOW and saw very little change in my skin, even with using it twice per day. I noticed firming with the PSF DMAE gel after the first few uses.
Type 2b. Wash: WEN pomegranate or fig. Leave-in conditioner: Alaffia beautiful curls for wavy hair, Spiral Solutions Protein spray. Style: Curls In A Bottle, Ecostyler, or KCCC.

Trending Topics