Peri Research

SO, as you may recall: I'm 47 in June, just begiinning Peri. Symptoms: slightly irreg cycle, hormonal acne in chin area, night sweats the week or so before my period and weight gain around the middle.

Protocol: I eat very healthfully and do not drink. I exercise on a daily basis. I am trying to cut back on caffiene and have added some supplements (Vit D, K, calcium, Evening Primrose oil, Ground Flaxseed and am contemplating Red Clover and Black Cohosh.)

I am now investigating a low GLI diet, as research bears that many of my symptoms are caused by a particular conglomeration of hormonal fluctuations that may be affecting my insulin resistance.

Anyone else play with the GLI to aid peri?

TIA
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
SO, as you may recall: I'm 47 in June, just begiinning Peri. Symptoms: slightly irreg cycle, hormonal acne in chin area, night sweats the week or so before my period and weight gain around the middle.

Protocol: I eat very healthfully and do not drink. I exercise on a daily basis. I am trying to cut back on caffiene and have added some supplements (Vit D, K, calcium, Evening Primrose oil, Ground Flaxseed and am contemplating Red Clover and Black Cohosh.)

I am now investigating a low GLI diet, as research bears that many of my symptoms are caused by a particular conglomeration of hormonal fluctuations that may be affecting my insulin resistance.

TIA
Originally Posted by rudeechick
Before I discuss my dietary habits, I need to express total jealousy that you are almost 47 and just beginning perimenopausal symptoms!!! I wish I could say the same. Mine began when I was 36 and I'm still in the thick of them at 46. You must be doing something right.

I am guessing my diet is sorta low glycemic. I don't eat junk food, I stay away from white bread, white flour, pasta. I eat plenty of veggies and moderate fresh fruit. I do drink a glass of wine daily and I will never give up my coffee. Daily I take Omega 3-6-9, red clover, ground flaxseed and USP Progesterone cream. When I am a good girl, the symptoms are greatly reduced. The last hotflash I had was about 10 months ago. Menopause can't come soon enough for me. I just want the hormones to normalize already.

It sounds like you have done your research into a GLI diet to normalize things. I guess I need to do some more as well and see if there's anything I could be doing differently. My goal is to make it through menopause as naturally as possible. I've looked into the bio-identical hormones, but I'm not even sure I want to go that route.

TIA
Originally Posted by rudeechick
Before I discuss my dietary habits, I need to express total jealousy that you are almost 47 and just beginning perimenopausal symptoms!!! I wish I could say the same. Mine began when I was 36 and I'm still in the thick of them at 46. You must be doing something right.

I am guessing my diet is sorta low glycemic. I don't eat junk food, I stay away from white bread, white flour, pasta. I eat plenty of veggies and moderate fresh fruit. I do drink a glass of wine daily and I will never give up my coffee. Daily I take Omega 3-6-9, red clover, ground flaxseed and USP Progesterone cream. When I am a good girl, the symptoms are greatly reduced. The last hotflash I had was about 10 months ago. Menopause can't come soon enough for me. I just want the hormones to normalize already.

It sounds like you have done your research into a GLI diet to normalize things. I guess I need to do some more as well and see if there's anything I could be doing differently. My goal is to make it through menopause as naturally as possible. I've looked into the bio-identical hormones, but I'm not even sure I want to go that route.
Originally Posted by misspam
Thanks for the feedback - yeah even the Bio-ID hormones concern me. menopause is what our bodies are SUPPOSED to be doing at mid-life, I dont think we should mess with that. But natch I reserve the right to change my mind if my symptoms explode and they might, I have very bad pregnancies due to an over-influx over hormones.
My Photobucket Album
I started having my period at 9 and at 42 I'm still regular as clock work. I envy both of you.

WHEN DOES IT END?????
TIA,

Morrignu

Curl Wiki - Hair Recipies - Hair Photos

I started having my period at 9 and at 42 I'm still regular as clock work. I envy both of you.

WHEN DOES IT END?????
Originally Posted by morrighu
lol. I got my period 4 weeks to the day after turning 12. I have been regular as a clock til I turned 46; now I am lighter and fluctuate by anywhere from 1 to 7 days early or late.

Heres the bright side, you can still get preggers TRUST ME, I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My Photobucket Album
I'm 47, and the only thing I've noticed that is peri-menopausal is that my periods are starting to be irregular, just this year. I don't mind it at all, though, because they are spacing out to every 2 or 3 months, rather than monthly. I don't get flushes or sweats, and acne is better than it was in my youth. I know how to control it now so that's not an issue at all. I feel great...I'm hoping it stays like this and the periods just fade away gradually without any other symptoms.

I do try to follow a low-carb diet...most of the time anyway...which I guess is low-glycemic. I don't notice anything different if I fall off the low-carb wagon (which I do, often), other than gaining weight...which is a lifelong struggle for me anyway, so that's no different than it always was. I take no medications or supplements of any kind.

Last edited by RedCatWaves; 04-17-2009 at 04:54 PM.
I'll be 47 in May and had a hysterectomy when I was 37 (for lots of non-cancerous reasons, including not being able to keep my hemoglobin above 6.5). They left my ovaries. I haven't had serious hot flashes since I finished taking tamoxifen a few years ago. Since I don't get periods anymore (let me say a great, big yay!) I'm not sure how/when I'll know if I'm completely menopausal. My mom stopped her periods when she was 48, but she was undergoing breast cancer treatment at the time. I do have some night sweats and some mid-body weight gain, but no other obvious peri symptoms. Maybe I got lucky and went through the change while I was on tamoxifen?! My gyn hasn't really offered any advice.... She just says I'll know when I don't have any more symptoms. I just wish there were a blood test that could tell you where exactly you were on the peri/menopausal time line, so you could pace yourself!
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

You can be perimeno for a long time. I expect to have symptoms for at least a decade, because my mother went into menopause late. There are advantages to late menopause (estrogen helps protect your heart and bones).

I've been to several doctors at this point. The first thing they all tell me is that there has been a lot of research done, and a lot written, but there are no cure-alls and no one-size-fits all answers. Some have said there are no answers yet, period.

As for low GI, I'm not sure that I follow one. Several years ago I eliminated most processed carbs from my diet, and I eat a ton of vegetables, some fruit, and a lot of whole grains and lean protein. I still eat dairy (mostly yogurt and cheese) because I need the calcium. I eat a lot of kale and chard, but I prepare it in olive oil...that makes it not low GI, right? Anyway, I've tried a lot of things over decades and to be honest, changing my diet has never helped me with anything. I'm self-disciplined and compliant with the rules when I try something. I read about people saying how taking fish oil or calcium literally changed their life, well, that's never happened for me. If I had to say anything helped, I would say it's been staying physically and mentally active, especially working on maintaining strength and flexibility, building balance, and challenging myself.

I am really interested in hearing about how the diet works for you. My skin is a mess every time I get my period.
formerly Castella
(my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
I'm 52 and the only major change for me so far is that my periods are heavier, longer, and closer together (yay, me!).
I've gained a good amount of weight in the last year (even tho I'm eating better and exercising more. Again, yay me!) but I blame a lot of that on my thyroid.

I'm quite sick of the whole thing and can't wait for menopause.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd

Trending Topics