loosing curl

hi. just a quick question. i am in my 40"s and have been fighting my curl for a couple of years. but it dawned on me the other day that im fighting what i dont have any more. i blew my hair dry (no scrunching or product) to color my roots. now, normally i would have had a fuzzy frizzy big mess. i barelly had a wave. just a bit of wave here and there. has anyone else lost curl with age? no wonder i have been having such trouble. i need to use a gallon of product and diffuse curls into place and then spray more product to keep it there. it is hard as a rock and looks awful. any one?????
that has not happened to me, but i have a friend that did happen to. in my opinion what happened to her is that years ago she washed her hair maybe twice a week, did not blow dry. now she washes, still with sulfate shampoos, and blow dries, without a diffuser it all the way every day. less curl.
are you using cg shampoos, conditioners, styling products? a diffuser if you blow dry? if you are depleting the moisture from your hair, it will seem as though you have lost curl. i think once you consistently let the moisture back in, the curl will be back. oh, maybe your hair cannot tolerate protein and you have used too much protein in your conditioning?
if there are other reasons to lose curl at this stage of life, i am not aware of it, but i am sure there are many other variables. hair color i think will also effect the curl, lessen it.
i am sure others on this board know of more reasons. if i were you, i'd just make sure i was treating my hair with moisturizing care first. that is the easiest. it might take a few weeks before you see a difference. have patience.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
Hello. I'm totally new here and have come with that same concern. I cut my hair back in Jan because the curl just didnt seem to be doing what it always did and it was all in the front where the gray was coming in. I was already trying to just go gray gracefully but when my curl woulnt behave i finally gave up and thought i was more or less surrrendering to the loss of things instead of fighting to hold on. Now, coming here i am starting to get hope that Maybe after a summer in the sun everyday and the dryness of indoors my hair just gets spent. As i look back at pics of me over the last few yrs i notice that it's always in the winter when i go to the salon and have something done in that "time-for-a-change" fashion. Could it just be the winter blues or is it the conditions leading up to my hair loosing it's lustre?
well, i learned a few things about hair testerday. i went to get a "trim". my stylist told me that hair can go thru stages. im starting peri menipause and that can effect the curl pattern. with that said.....
rbb.. thanks for replying. my hair is in relly good condition, and i have been shampooless, and doing most of the things ive learned on this site.i diffuse, scrunch, clip... you name it. nothing in the last 2 years have helped. but
ll 2009 again thanks for replying. the winter is usually when i get so frustrated i do something stupid like get it cut off too. i think a lot of curlies have trouble with the lack of humidity. im really looking forward for the summer .
anyway, as i said i went to get a trim. the girl i went to has about 3a, 3b hair. she kept my legnth, but took a lot off in a lot a places. it really has helped. as a matter of fact, at work i had so many people comment on how good my curls looked . hmmm. mabie the right cut and humidity will give me and my hair a good summer.
pumpkin, sounds like you had a great experience at the Salon. I'm pretty sure my curl has been affected by peri as well and the fact that those were grays that were loosing their curl pattern and texture it seems clear it's about the hormone game. I read somewhere something that seemed to indicate that as gray is establishing itself it's also in transition to it's 'final' color so maybe that applies to the curl to. Hopefully, with the passage time and care to the hair it will work out~ thats what i'm hoping anyway.

Hi!
I just wanted to say thanks to those of you who have told their stories. Now, I don't feel so alone. I'm 47 and have been losing my hair over the last 2 years. Along with it, my curls are so lifeless. They appear almost like tiny waves in my much shorter, finer mane. You can see in my photo how long and thick my hair is. That was taken 4 years ago and now my hair is NOTHING like that.
I went through surgical menopause in 1999 at the ripe-old age of 37. That surgery took place in August, but the April before, I had had a heart attack. Not a bad one, thank goodness, but scary nonetheless.
Because of my heart attack, I was put on blood pressure meds and all sorts of other meds. Finally, 3 weeks ago, the doctor told me that my bp meds were probably the cause of my hair breakage and thinning. So, he switched me to a different medication. Now I have to wait for 4 months to see if any new growth is coming in.
Thanks for letting me talk about this. I will let you curlies know how it goes. xxxx
pearlsgirl- good luck. i know how frustrating it is. i look at how curly my hair used to be and want to cry.
i put away the flat iron, straightenibg products, (im hopeing rbb is on to something,id rather it be from heat... than hormones) and im giving it a month. we will see how this works. boy am i going to have some awful hair days!!!
Hi!
I just wanted to say thanks to those of you who have told their stories. Now, I don't feel so alone. I'm 47 and have been losing my hair over the last 2 years. Along with it, my curls are so lifeless. They appear almost like tiny waves in my much shorter, finer mane. You can see in my photo how long and thick my hair is. That was taken 4 years ago and now my hair is NOTHING like that.
I went through surgical menopause in 1999 at the ripe-old age of 37. That surgery took place in August, but the April before, I had had a heart attack. Not a bad one, thank goodness, but scary nonetheless.
Because of my heart attack, I was put on blood pressure meds and all sorts of other meds. Finally, 3 weeks ago, the doctor told me that my bp meds were probably the cause of my hair breakage and thinning. So, he switched me to a different medication. Now I have to wait for 4 months to see if any new growth is coming in.
Thanks for letting me talk about this. I will let you curlies know how it goes. xxxx
Originally Posted by pearlsgirl61

Welcome to NC.com!!

Sorry to hear about your health and hair issues. But at least your doctor sounds like he was listening to your concerns and may have figured out how to help. Good luck regaining your hair and your curls!

I've also heard that hair grows in "7 year cycles" - don't know if that's true. But if it is, maybe that includes curl patterns.
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Since my hair wasn't curly until puberty, I'm afraid the change in hormones at peri and menopause will cause my hair to revert back. Hormones wreak havoc with everything else in our body, it makes sense it would also cause trouble with our hair.
There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
Pearlgirl, sounds like you've been going through your share of challenges. It's great that we can all come here and find empathy and understanding even if it *JUST* our hair we're mainly talking about. It is important though to feel good about how we look and to look our best. please do let us know how it goes.

Cynaminbear, i know how you feel- the fear of what changes are in store for us as we reach this time in our lives. I'm trying to keep the attitude that if i can work with it, roll with it, make the best of it i am all the more beautiful and wise.
I don't have any ideas or suggestions pumkin, but I just wanted to tell you that you're not alone - the exact same thing has happened to me. In the last 3 years since the birth of my two daughters (I just turned 40), my hair has gone from 3b/3a to barely a 2something. I suspect it was the hormonal changes, and I hoped it would go back after they were weaned, but this appears to be a permanent and very much unwelcome change. I had finally figured my hair out, product and styling wise, and now I've spent the last few years fighting to get it to curl. I actually have now learned how to dry it straight, which I do much of the time, since that seems to be what it *wants* to do all on its own now
Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)

Trending Topics