Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Over 40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #1

Default I Made The Mistake Of Looking In A Magnifying Mirror...

My skin is dry yet I have large pores & blackheads in my T Zone. Any suggestions?

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
Lotsawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #2

I always find something wrong when I look up close in any mirror.Sorry,I don't have any suggestions for your pores and T-zone.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #3

I don't mean to make light of skin problems, but are you sure they don't just look bigger in that evil mirror? If you can see them in a regular mirror, that's another thing.

Have you tried Skin Actives Alpha-Beta Exfoliating System?
http://www.skinactives.com/product/detail.aspx?prodID=3

I apply it with my fingers, not the cotton pads (get way more than 4 treatments this way). This did more to clean out my pores than anything else I've used. And it did not irritate my somewhat sensitive skin.

This peel is unique because it is not water-based. If you are interested, I recommend reading about it on the Skin Actives forum. You don't have to register to read.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #4

Thanks, alacurl. I'll check it out.

I can see the pores in a regular mirror, so something is going on here. I don't remember them being so bad before. I doubt if there is anyway to shrink them, but I don't want them to get worse. I may have to go to a dermatalogist.

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
Old 05-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #5

I scare myself to death most every night looking in an 8X magnifying mirror to pluck brows and a few strays on my chinny-chin-chin (darned PCOS!), LOL.

You might look at the big, long thread about The Oil Cleansing Method in the makeup/skincare forum, and here's a link about it www.theoilcleansingmethod.com . I've been using it for a few months now and when, every once in a while, I get lazy and don't do it for a couple of days, I can see a definite difference.

I have combination skin with dry patches, some from seborrheic dermatitis, as well as a very oil T-zone and roseacea. The OCM stabilizes my almost-53-year-old skin, giving me improved general skin texture, no dryness or flakiness even in winter yet, conversely, much less oily skin even since it's gotten warm and humid here in Atlanta. And my SD and roseacea are much happier. The large pores on my nose, the only place I had that problem, look smaller and are definitely clearer - the castor oil just sucks the gunk right out.

I use mainly castor oil (the basis of the OCM) with maybe 25% sunflower oil, one of the least core-clogging oils and easy to find - don't use olive oil as it's pretty comedogenic (clogging). This is all you have to buy, so it's dirt cheap. I do still follow with alcohol-free toner to be sure I don't leave any oil residue that might cause breakouts, especially around the "edges". Then I usually just use some FOTE AVG as a light moisturizer, a little wrinkle treatment cream in a couple of spots, and an undereye cream.

Jessthemess recently started a thread in that same forum about another natural cleansing method she's using. Although it uses more ingredients and steps, I'm thinking about giving it a try since I still get some hormonal breakouts and it seems to be working well for acne.

Anyway, just a couple of options you might like to look into . . . .

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated, GTTT or Aim2Health 'poos as scalp needs, YTCarrots or Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein Trtmt & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite, KCCC, AO Mandarin Magic, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing then clips or clamps & air dry. Blend gray w/henna glosses

www.fotki.com/auntnett
WurlyLox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #6

Thanks auntnett. I'll get the oils this weekend & give this a try.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #7

Lotsa, how is the OCM working on your pores and blackheads?

I forgot to mention that I also use an oil cleanser, and it has loosened a lot of plugs. I was very surprised the first time because I could feel something like little grains of sand as I massaged the oil on my face. I wondered WTH? -- and then realized my pores were being unclogged by the oil.

I also use Garden of Wisdom Beta Exfo tonic a couple of times a week (this is a leave-on product). The one-two-three punch of the Skin Actives Alpha-Beta, the oil cleanser and the Beta Exfo have helped so much.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #8

I'm lost. What is the OCM?

Right now I'm using the oils & doing the baking soda scrub. I wish I had the money to do a professional peel or something.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #9

OCM=Oil Cleansing Method - see my post above

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated, GTTT or Aim2Health 'poos as scalp needs, YTCarrots or Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein Trtmt & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite, KCCC, AO Mandarin Magic, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing then clips or clamps & air dry. Blend gray w/henna glosses

www.fotki.com/auntnett
WurlyLox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntnett View Post
OCM=Oil Cleansing Method - see my post above
Sorry, I'm getting slow in my old age. Thanks for clarifying.

Trending Topics[-]hide