Cataract Surgery -- not always a walk in the park

As many of you know, I had cataract surgery at the end of January in my left eye and a week later in my right eye. I paid extra to get Crystalens to get back my "pre 40 year old sight."

Well, the surgery and lens were very much a success. I can read things without glasses I have not been able to for 20 years.

But I need to let you know about the recovery period. It took me 90 days, many different drops, a light sensitivity, dry eyes, a lot of depression thinking I was going to live in this misery forever and it was never going to heal.

Not everyone heals right away and can tolerate the drops. I read on line that many people need to take a 60 day leave of absence from work (which I should have done but didn't). I had a reaction to every drop put in my eyes. I squinted and had a heck of a time seeing. I really thought it was going to be like this forever.

But, last week I rounded a corner. Not nearly as much light sensitiviy, no dryness in front of the computer, and no need to use drops on a day by day basis.

I actually feel like I have finally healed. From all of my searching on line, this is more prevelant in post menopausal women (apparently everything in our body dries up)!!.

I just wanted to pass this on in case anyone else goes through the misery I have for the past 3 months. Just know it is probably temporary, and you wil heal. Just be patient.
3b/c
I dont' know if you remember me, but I had 2 Crystalens implants also, last year.

I'm glad you posted this update. I was thinking about you a couple of weeks ago, wondering how you were doing. Sorry to hear about the troubles you had; I am so glad that you are doing better now even though it took a while and was frustrating.

FWIW, I had to have some laser surgery a few months after one of my eyes was done to correct something that developed after my lens was implanted. Also, I am on OTC eye drops for dryness. I didn't feel dryness, but my surgeon said my eyes looked dry after the laser surgery (I've heard this happens frequently) and I use the drops twice per day if I can remember. Nothing like what you went through, but still, I don't have "carefree" eyes anymore either.
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
I didn't post earlier because I had been fighting through my recovery. Will have to admit I love the Crystalens. My eyesight is phenomenol compared to what it was before the surgery.

I have to have the left eye laser zapped in June. Sure hope I don't have to go through this again. My eyes just don't heal fast and sure don't take well to most drops out there.

I was actually in a great mood today thinking I can actually be in sunlight and my eyes don't hurt.

I just wanted to post for all you other people who might experience problems after cataract surgery. Apparently it can (as I well know) happen.
3b/c
Did I already mention to you that I had to have my right eye laser zapped a few months after the initial surgery? sorry if I am being redundant. I had "floaters" which were (my understanding...) floating bits of scar tissue or tiny bits of the first cataract that didn't get removed. I can't remember which. Even more improvement after that was done.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
I think you did mention you had to have one of your eyes laser zapped which, in fact, made me feel better. The dr told me it was common to have to have this done but hearing from someone who had to do it makes me feel better.

Thanks for giving me your history of your surgery and Crystalens.

Sounds like we both are having good results even if it took a while to get there.
3b/c
Thanks for posting the info. Glad you're doing better now. My husband is planning to get his cataracts removed, and I hope he doesn't have these side effects or issues. Do you think some of the problems may have been due to the crystalens?

~ Always naturally lazy and curly! ~

Photo album password: curly
Blog: lazykerri.wordpress.com
Curl Type: 3a Fii
Current Favorites:
  • Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner
  • Jessicurl Confident Coils
  • Rockin Ringlets, and
  • Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel
Thanks for posting the info. Glad you're doing better now. My husband is planning to get his cataracts removed, and I hope he doesn't have these side effects or issues. Do you think some of the problems may have been due to the crystalens?

Originally Posted by lazykerri
Initially, we all were blaming it on the Crystalens, or the fact that one of my eyes was a lazy eye and maybe we shouldn't have gone that route with it. But as time went on and I did a lot of research on the internet, I really think it was just my reaction to the drops, having sensitive/allergy eyes to begin with, and just the fact that I happened to be one of those who was going to have problems.

One of the men at work had one eye done the same time. He didn't get the Crystalens; just had a regular lens implanted. He had absolutely no problems. Like I said, from my research it seems like more women are prone to problems than men.

Make sure your husband uses the pre surgery and post surgery drops as instructed and for the length of time instructed. My eyes hated them, but I read where they are essential in helping to heal without infection.
3b/c
In my case, I think my extra needs were due to my eye only, not the Crystalens. I think it's a great product.
In my case, I think my extra needs were due to my eye only, not the Crystalens. I think it's a great product.
Originally Posted by curls2grow
I think it's great too. Cannot get over what I can see (read) without glasses that I haven't been able to since I was 40!!
3b/c

Trending Topics