Letting hair go grey

Like Tree2Likes

Oh, I totally use mascara on the roots. Seriously. I start getting roots at about the 3 week mark, more or less, so I use mascara to cover them 'til I feel like going to the salon.

This time, though? I may just let it rip, see what happens.

I now wish I'd been like my cousin - we both started going gray at 19. I opted to color; she didn't. Now she has a headful of long curly salt and pepper hair (at 37 years old) and looks fabulous. And then there's me, still fighting the skunk stripe, still stressing over the roots. Bleh.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I'm not sure what we all have against skunks anyway. Look how cute they are!

In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**

Of course it would be you with the skunk pic, jeepcurlygirl!

They are cute. From a safe distance.
I really never worried about it until my "friend" Gina started constantly giving me a tough time the very second one gray hair showed up.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Mine always looks more like someone cracked a silver egg over my head. Btw, they do sell a sort of crayon at Sally's that you can temporarily cover your roots with.
Maudie
I used to like my gray "Elvira streak" -- when it was 1/4 inch wide. I used to get compliments on it, & had it since I was about 35. But after the kidney adventure when I turned 40 this year, it seemed to really accelerate it. I started getting more gray hairs along my hairline, & the streak widened to 1/2 inch. Instead a neat contrasting streak, it now just looks splotchy & uneven.

So I colored it. My 32 yr old BF kind of liked it -- how perverse is that? I used the semi-permanent that fades out gradually, & color lasts forever in my hair, so after 2 months, I tried that new root touch up color kit from, I think it's Clairol. You brush it on & rinse after 10 min. Perfectly blended the roots & was gentle. I don't have to do overall color more than every 4 mos or so.

On another note, did anyone see the cover of More mag, w/ Jamie Lee Curtis? She's letting her hair go gray, looks great. And there's a whole spread of 40+ women, including several gorgeous curlies - going gray naturally. There's a 3A with gorgeous bright silvery curls. Now if mine looked that that, I'd be pleased. Maybe in another 5 years
3B, bra-strap length
laidback, very-modified CGer
HG: GF Sleek 'n Shine Leave-in; Alagio
I'm 38. I started getting grey hair at 16. I guess I started dying my hair when I was in my late 20's. It seemed like I always had roots showing and I hated the mess and the smell. So I've been letting my hair grow for the past year. Right now I have about 3 inches of grey hair and the rest is brown down to the middle of my back. When the grey hair gets long enough, I will cut off the brown and donate it to locks of love. I have a brown streak in the middle of my forhead instead of a grey streak so I want to play that up when I get the haircut.
ttfn,
making waves
making waves,
We'd all love to see some pics of your hair!
In Western PA
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.

Hi JeepCurlyGurl,
I don't have a digital camera but I'll see if I can find some pictures that scan ok or get a friend to take some. Then I'll try to figure out how to post them. I really don't know how to do much more with a computer than send e-mail.
ttfn,
making waves
Jeep, your photos are wonderful, and your hair is growing out nicely! gives me something to look forward to- getting back to longer hair!

I couldn't bear the multicolor-looks like it needs a color in a bad way- hair, so I cut it really short. I put some photos on fotiki- through the years- just have the one bad one of my avatar with it all grey. More salt and pepper
2b-3c depending on the weather, conditioner, length, etc.
Going grey since April, 2006. No cutting since May / June, 2006.
donnafina
Thanks! I'm getting used to the grey and it's so nice not to have to think about coloring anymore.
Your long hair is beautiful but I certainly love that short perky cut!
In Western PA

I'm transitioning to gray... I let mine start growing out when I couldn't get coloring to not look fake any more. Basically the dark colors started looking too harsh for my skin (and I'm a natural deep brunette), and the lighter colors just look wrong and "dyed".

I adore my salt and pepper that's growing in. Next month I'll be doing the Big Chop and getting rid of all the dyed stuff.
Hi Jeep,

Your hair actually looks very nice growing in. Afraid mine would be quite awful, with the red parts all faded out. See you mentioned Bucky in one of your posts. I spend the summers at Chautauqa Lake, went through a lot of road blocks this summer.
Catherine
Modified CG. Robert Craig color, I am a reformed PJ.
Favs; One condition, Angell, hypoallergenic gell.
Thanks curlyg.
I haven't been to Chatauqua in many years, but it's a beautiful and interesting place.
In Western PA

I have been a natural light golden blond all my life, pregressing to an ash golden then to ash blond then to dishwater blond.
The gray creeping in has given me some wonderful light, bright highlights my hair reaaly needed.
I love my gray!
Getting curlier the longer I CG :-)
http://public.fotki.com/anniemay123/hair-982007/
Your long "high-lighted" hair is lovely! I can't wait until mine grows out some.
2b-3c depending on the weather, conditioner, length, etc.
Going grey since April, 2006. No cutting since May / June, 2006.
Thanks, ladies! This is a really inspirational thread.

I just did the big chop last month and decided after I colored my hair last week that that was it and I was going to let the gray come in. (I'm probably about 50% gray.) I hate the smell, how really dark the color looks at first and how my scalp burns, itches and peels afterward. Gross, I know! Unfortunately, I live in LA where the cult of youth is alive and well, and leprosy is more acceptable than gray hair. To hell with it, I say! I'm going gray.

CelticCurls, I saw Jamie Lee Curtis on the street a few months ago, and she had short, cropped gray hair that looked great.

Lori
This thread had inspired me to NOT color my grays. I colored before because my hair was getting awfully mousy (sorry Jeep, love those mousies, I meant "blah" ). A few years ago color-resistant grays started popping up.

What's really helpful is how my coworkers like to point them out to me, and offer to pull them. I just keep reminding them WHO caused the grays to begin with.

For some reason, they're much shinier than the non-grays. So that's something to look forward to...it may be gray, but at last I'll have shine!
formerly Castella
(my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
I too live in LA (Pasadena) and the obsession with faux youth is far overboard!
I work at Nordstrom (yeah!) and I saw a 60+ lady at the cosmetics counter today with bleached blond hair, every inch of her had signs of plastic surgury or liposuction. The poor thing, she had no idea how phoney and contrived all of her efforts made her appear. The topper was the 5 inch lucite platform shoes, the kind the Sunset Blvd hookers wear..... Yikes!

Go natural, embrace the gray & the curls, lighten up and be real!
Getting curlier the longer I CG :-)
http://public.fotki.com/anniemay123/hair-982007/
I know what you mean, annie may! It seems like most women over 40 are trying to look 16, and it really scares me. Between the extensions, fake teeth and all the plastic surgery, no one looks real anymore.

Castella, you go, girl! Let those grays come in.

Lori

Trending Topics