Letting hair go grey

Like Tree2Likes

Thanks for the compliments guys!
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
Hey Jeep...you have a great gray curl in the back...looks cool!
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
I agree!

I'm still on the fence about it and have colored 3 times since June. The gray appears so quickly. Did you guys ever see The Santa Clause where Tim Allen can't accept that he is SC? He is in front of the mirror with dark dye on his hair under a cap. He pulls the cap off, smiles at the results and almost immediately the white Santa hair appears. That's how I sort of feel.
Maudie
jeep your color grew in lovely! I love yoiur curls too!!
2c/3a?
Low porosity, medium texture.
http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
The gray appears so quickly. Did you guys ever see The Santa Clause where Tim Allen can't accept that he is SC? He is in front of the mirror with dark dye on his hair under a cap. He pulls the cap off, smiles at the results and almost immediately the white Santa hair appears. That's how I sort of feel.

That's me as well. My hair grows fairly quickly, so I get "sparkles" at my temples within just a few days of coloring. Right now it's been a month since I colored, and I have a good 3/4 of an inch of gray roots. This is not an attractive look. I'm not fooling anyone that I'm younger when I walk around with gray roots. And, I see TONS of women walking around with gray roots, it's like an epidemic.

Coloring my hair used to be "fun". I dyed it red for 20 years and felt cool and glamorous. Since I went gray at my temples about 2 years ago, it's not fun anymore. Now it's a dreaded chore, and any color I use looks fake.

So...I have an appointment next week with a colorist to see if she can help me with the gray-grow-out process by adding gray highlights in the areas where I'm most gray.
So...I have an appointment next week with a colorist to see if she can help me with the gray-grow-out process by adding gray highlights in the areas where I'm most gray.[/quote]

Have your colorist find those single surface locks and dye those salt and pepper...then you'll have long grey locks that look cool and natural like the Jeepcurgirl.
Grey is natures highlights; it brightens the face and features. We are so socially accustomed to youth being the prevalent fashion leader that we forget to be true to ourselves.
As I work in retail cosmetics, I see women everyday who have colored their hair so long that they have no idea what the natural color is. The tragedy is that the natural color is probably the prettiest & most flattering color that lady could have; like hidden treasure!
Getting curlier the longer I CG :-)
http://public.fotki.com/anniemay123/hair-982007/
Have your colorist find those single surface locks and dye those salt and pepper...then you'll have long grey locks that look cool and natural like the Jeepcurgirl.
What's a single surface lock? Is that an extension or hair piece? I'm not doing that. I already have enough hair for 3 or 4 people...I don't need any more.
No, all your hair. Like in the CG book naf the way Jeep girls hair is. See how the single lock of hair makes up that curl. Our curly hair makes regular tunnels or curls consistantly with the same locks (or clumps) of hair. As your hair dries natually without being touched will form these locks.
No, all your hair. Like in the CG book naf the way Jeep girls hair is. See how the single lock of hair makes up that curl. Our curly hair makes regular tunnels or curls consistantly with the same locks (or clumps) of hair. As your hair dries natually without being touched will form these locks.

Ah, now I get it. Yes, that was what I have in mind.
Love your hair, Jeep! I agree, the beginning of the growing out is the hardest part. It's great to have so much support on this.

anniemay and redcat, post after you've seen the colorist. I am thinking also about doing some blonde highlights after a few months of grow out. I want to see how things go, though. I think what the author of the More article says is true--sometimes you just can't go cold turkey.

Lori
My roots are gray/white except in the back and sides but the rest of my hair shaft (under the deposit color) is orange from being highlighted in the 90's. I'm afraid I'd look like a calico cat if I started to go gray without color correction. How does one "normalize" color to go gray after having colored for so long?
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Quote:
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
Jeep your hair looks great! Makes me wish I'd had the patience for growing mine out without cutting it.

Redcat, you sound like I felt back in the spring when I started this journey.

I had no idea they make hair color in the grey family! What a revelation. I tried to use bleach to lighten my hair to grow it out, once, but it turned yellow and contrasted with the darker natural color too much. It was like my hair was having a civil war. Maybe if I'd known they could put in grey streaks through the curls... but I didn't.

I couldn't stand the roots showing. I started cutting at the top layer so it would curl over the roots and show the color, rather than the roots, or so I thought until I saw a photo of me outside. I thought it looked more like grey hair with red flags on the ends waving "Hey look at me, I'm going grey!" So I chopped again... and again, and again... and cut it all off until it was about two inches long and only a tiny bit of dyed hair was visible- I suddenly realized what I'd done!! I really have no patience (self-control).

So, now I have short grey hair- growing out! It is growing a lot faster than I thought it would!
2b-3c depending on the weather, conditioner, length, etc.
Going grey since April, 2006. No cutting since May / June, 2006.
[quote="Lori J"]Found a great article, too: "Back to My Roots: A Diary of Going Gray," by Anne Kreamer on more.com. It was in the June issue of the mag, but I read it online. Here's the link. http://www.more.com/more/story.jsp?s...9020338182.xml
[quote]

Lori thanks for the article! I feel her rollercoaster of emotion! She pretty well expressed my own mourning for my youth and the satisfaction of again being my truest self. I'll be looking for her book!
2b-3c depending on the weather, conditioner, length, etc.
Going grey since April, 2006. No cutting since May / June, 2006.
Maybe if I'd known they could put in grey streaks through the curls...
Originally Posted by donnafina
I tried getting salons around here to do that - most of them looked at me like I just landed in my rocket ship.
Plus, my hair's so dark I was afraid of the damage it would cause going that light.
I kept it trimmed up to chin length for the last year and it's just gotten to the point where I can let it grow again. Yay!
I also can't wait for Anne K.'s book!
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
RedCatWaves:

The fact that I see SO many women out there with shapeless hair and/or haircuts that don't suit their faces and/or hair is what makes me think it's not realistic to expect the average woman to have hair like the "after" pics in the book; not everyone can afford to pay 3 digits for a really good haircut.
2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC
The fact that I see SO many women out there with shapeless hair and/or haircuts that don't suit their faces and/or hair is what makes me think it's not realistic to expect the average woman to have hair like the "after" pics in the book; not everyone can afford to pay 3 digits for a really good haircut.

But, my point was...is a shapeless hair-do with an inch of gray roots at any given time a big improvement over being gray? I don't think so. These women are already walking around with bad hair, and maybe being a bit more naturally colored would be an improvement on the fake shoe-polish-with-roots colors I see every day.

But, my point was...is a shapeless hair-do with an inch of gray roots at any given time a big improvement over being gray? I don't think so. These women are already walking around with bad hair, and maybe being a bit more naturally colored would be an improvement on the fake shoe-polish-with-roots colors I see every day.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
Well, I can't argue that point, lol! Since I've been coloring my hair for over 3 decades and went to beauty school I know how to keep my hair color looking natural even though I only color every 4-5 weeks (I use temporary color to cover up the roots), for me that's only 1/2".

And I really didn't mean to say the book wasn't good, I'm sure it helps many other women who didn't have anywhere to turn to for advice. I guess I just expected it to convince me to stop coloring but it had the opposite effect on me.
2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

I have virgin hair. I have never bleached, highlighted, dyed or any variations therein. It was a matter of pride through the 30's....I was a natural blond, still. In my 40's it went to dishwater then golden mousey. Suddenly there were there "glistening" highlights of grey in my mousey brown hair. I wish there was a lot more grey.Occasionally I have a fleeting moment of wanting a new me. I find in a few minutes it passes. I have a zillion colors, blond, grey, white, brown, amber, honey to name just a few. Sometimes the color looks great, sometimes it looks bland and blah. If I did even lowlights, I would not longer be a 49 year old hair virgin.
Why does it look lighter when it's straightened?
Sounds like your hair has a very interesting combination of shades you should be taking advantage of.

Why don't you try Roux temporary color for those days when you feel you want a change? Since this only sits on the cuticle and doesn't penetrate your hair is technically still virgin and it only stays until you wash it off so there's not commitment here. If you prefer something more "natural", try chamomile rinses, these would brighten the blonde parts and maybe even blend in the gray.

If none of the above appeals to you, I think you may benefit from simply clarifying your hair occasionally with "Lemon-Aid" (usual amount of CO mixed with the juice of a lemon - or half if your hair is dry), it tends to lighten so it may have a natural overall brightening effect on your hair. An occasional hot oil treatment could help keep your hair shiny to show off all those natural highlights - jojoba oil is the most like natural scalp oil, another favorite of mine is coconut oil.

I believe our hair looks lighter when straightened because a) it reflects light better and b) each strand "stands" alone whereas when it's worn curly they gather in clumps thus "deepening" the color.

I still have enough blond that it is easily highlighted with lemon. Even the blow drier casues some lightening. I am too much of a "granola girl" to even dare the Roux. I'm afraid my blonder hair would be too porious and would absorb a semi permanent color. Maybe I'm just parinoid too, but I appreciate your suggestion.
"Granola Girl", lol, I hope I remember that next time I see you post anywhere else!

Hmm, I should've been more specific, I forgot there are other Roux color products. The one I meant is Roux Fanci-Full. Don't think I'm pushing this at all but you used the words "semi permanent" so I figured it wasn't clear to you this is really temporary. Fanci-Full is just a liquid "leave-in" with color meant to come off with just one shampoo. I "camouflage" my roots with a similar product by Color Charm and I have to reapply it each time I Co-wash or rinse my hair (I'm on CG). Also, it comes in several shades of blonde so it's not like your hair stands much of a chance of getting stained. You can see a color chart here, just click on Fancifull Rinse on the menu at the left and then on the Color Chart tab.

But if the chamomile rinses sound more "right down your alley"; you can find a couple of recipes I posted in this thread: http://www.naturallycurly.com/phpBB/...ic.php?t=89607

Trending Topics