Letting hair go grey

Like Tree2Likes

I just posted on a grey hair thread on the general board and thought maybe some of the over 40 fogies would like to read this topic.

http://naturallycurly2.com/phpBB/vie...493&highlight=
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
Your hair looks cool.
If mine was growing out "better" I would do it.
I think I'll wait a little longer.
My mom was dark salt and pepper gray at my age,but then it went pure white/silver.
She is 81 and gets compliments all the time!
"what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa
I gotta hand it to you, Jeep! You're almost there! (As you know, I caved in and colored, but I will eventually join you again. )
Maudie
I'll tell ya, girls, it ain't easy. In some light it looks nicely blended and sparkly. In other light it looks like I have skunk in my family tree. And, yes, the texture is different. Some hairs stick straight out of my head like antenna. I make it all sound soooo attractive, huh? But I'm starting to like it.
In Western PA
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
I'll tell ya, girls, it ain't easy. In some light it looks nicely blended and sparkly. In other light it looks like I have skunk in my family tree. And, yes, the texture is different. Some hairs stick straight out of my head like antenna. I make it all sound soooo attractive, huh? But I'm starting to like it.
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
No, it ain't easy. Mine looks like a Cruella De Ville imitation, only with the white in the center, not half and half. I have to admit; it's an acquired taste.
Maudie
Last November I colored because of a little comment my son made, and now wish I would have left well enough alone, I have not recolored since then and getting frequent trims to get the crud outa my hair. I will never recolor again I was really liking the color and texture of my hair.
2c/3a Fine Blonde/Silver
i found my first gray hair at 22; premature gray runs in the family. i colored it once when it was super short--a semi-permanent rinse. i couldn't wait for it to wash out. i, too, hated the texture.

most days i embrace the gray. i'm a dark salt and pepper, still mostly black hair but with lots of silver threaded through and a tiny white streak in the front. i'm 44; i'm often told that i look much younger. an older friend--64--told me recently that i should dye my hair because "your husband would never tell you, but he'd love to have a wife that looks younger." my husband tells me that he truly does not care either way.

i don't dye because a. i'm lazy; b. i hate the idea of running to cover up my white roots for fear of outing myself; and c. i love silver hair on other people.
3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
I don't have gray hair, per se, it's more like white wiry strands.

I leave them alone since they kind of add highlights to my strawberry blonde-ish hair.

Now if I had my choice, I'd go for the Bonnie Raitt stripe look she sported in the 80s-90s (I don't know what her hair looks like now)!
Love her and her hair. Here's a pic from February of this year. Still lookin' great.

In Western PA
I tell you ladies, I have just a little gray, and haven't dyed my hair for almost a year and a half. My hubby thinks it looks "cute". I am very torn whether to get on the dye bandwagon again. Every time I decide that is IT I am ordering some RC today, someone revives one of the gray threads, and I decide to wait. Must be a sign from the "curly gods"
Love her and her hair. Here's a pic from February of this year. Still lookin' great.

Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
Oh yeah!
I'm probably at least half gray. I started going gray at 19, so I've been coloring my hair for 22 years. I'm not ready to go gray!

It doesn't help that my idiot "friend" tells me I look like skunk if I get even the teensiest bit of roots.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Before I colored again, I had been comparing "going gray" notes with this lady that worked at a store where I shop. Yesterday, I saw her again and she was silver and white. She hadn't seen me since I colored and said, "YOU DID IT!!!" I actually cringed.
Maudie
I'm considering trying to grow it out again. It's such a pain in the ass though. It wouldn't be so bad if the contrast between the hair colors wasn't so damned huge. Blondes definitely have it easier when it comes to growing out the gray. My roots are instantly noticeable, and of course most of the gray is right at the part in my hair, so there's no hiding...except for coloring it.

Ugh. I'm at the point where I really should color the roots every 4 weeks, but damn it that's expensive and time consuming.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Sigh...I don't know WTF to do with my gray hair.

I'm 44, and have a young looking face. I've been coloring my hair for probably 18-20 years. I have some very large sections of gray...mostly at my temples, and a big fat splotch of white right in the middle of my head, right in my part area. It's difficult to color. The gray is so resistant. My natural color is dark brown. I like it dyed dark auburn and I used commercial boxes of dye for years. Unfortunately, the stubborn gray wouldn't cover with the boxes anymore unless I use a higher volume peroxide, like 30 or 40%. That damaged my hair pretty severely. So, a year or so ago, I switched to RC color. That covered the gray, but because it has no "lift", it also darkened the rest of my hair to almost black. So, early this year, I switched to henna. The henna itself won't dye my gray enough to cover it, so I have to add indigo. Again, because there is no lift, my non-gray hair is getting way too dark. Plus, it grows so fast that the grays show up again within a week of dying it. I cannot be dying my hair every week. It's too expensive and time consuming. I'm FED up. I wish I could just let it go gray, but because I'm so dark, the contrast with the white hair is just so ugly on me, and the process of growing it all out will take me over a year. I don't know if I'm strong enough to look at tri-colored hair for that long without giving up and dying again. My husband is no help. He tells me I look "fine" no matter what I do.

It sucks getting old.
I know what you're saying. After I colored my hair again, one of my sons told me that when I was gray "my hair didn't match my face". I guess that's a compliment. I think my husband is fine with coloring or not coloring. Eventually, I will let it go silver once more. I would hate to cut it short, though, so I will just endure it when the time comes (again ).
Maudie
I'm pretty much done with the growing-out transition. It's my one year anniversary since I stopped coloring my hair. I've kept it trimmed up to chin/shoulder length and the grey is just about at the ends now.

I have dark hair and yep, the lightness of the grey really bugged me. But I've gotten used to it and don't even notice anymore. Most of my grey is at the top and front. The back and underneath is still dark (for now!). The one great thing about the greys is the sparkle it has in the sun. My hair has never been shiny so it's a nice treat for me (hey, I have to find something good about looking like an old granny!)

No more coloring, no more roots, no more skunk stripe. Freedom at last.
In Western PA
For those growing out dark hair, would it be possible to have a salon give you gray highlights, to blend everything in while it's growing out?
I tried that. I visited local salons and they looked at me like I was sprouting extra heads. I phoned salons within a 100 mile radius and they thought I was joking. They were happy to color it pink or green or pitch black, but grey was like some horrible foreign thing to them. I'm not saying this would be the case everywhere, but it was here. The only place that seems to be 'into' grey hair is Asia and that wasn't in the budget!
I thought about doing it at home, but it's just too damaging to get dark hair bleached comletely and then colored grey. So I just toughed it out. It really wasn't that horrible. When I was having a particularly skunk-like day, I just dabbed on some Fanciful wash-out color and it was fine.
Also, I cut my hair and kept it at chin/shoulder length. It would take a lot longer to grow out (and looks worse to me) if one has really long hair and keeps it long for the whole transition.
curlygoinggray likes this.
In Western PA
When I was having a particularly skunk-like day, I just dabbed on some Fanciful wash-out color and it was fine.

That's an interesting idea. I might consider using a wash-out dye around my temples for the first few months to get through the hard part. The part-area I can hide fairly well by doing a half-up hairdo...which I wear most the time anyway.

I'm still thinking about it.

Trending Topics