Update on Low GLI Diet for Perimenopause

Some of you might recall my having gone on a low GLI diet last April in an attempt to lose the 10 peri lbs I had gained. The diet was a huge success; the lbs came off in a little over a month. A side benefit was that my peri breakouts (which had been AWFUL) and nightsweats had VANISHED.

I stayed faithful to low GLI thru Sept. The past month I have been sloppy about it. Sure enough, while I only put back about 2-3 lbs, the peri breakouts and night sweats are back with a vengence. I started the diet regime in earnest this past Monday; hopefully it will work as well as it did last Spring.
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
I tried to google this diet but couldn't find anything on it. What does the GLI stand for?
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
Low Glycemic Index level Diet
My Photobucket Album
Thanks, I'll look into it.

My daughter is only 35, but is having problems that I feel may be related to her hormones.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
wow, great news and good for you for sticking with it. I definitely am going to look into this as I've been experiencing such things and I'm in my thirties. I'll be interested in seeing if things settle back down for you. Good luck!
In retrospect my "pre"perimenopause started in my 30s - but didnt know the signs so just figured it was age related hormonal fluctuations (well, it was, but you get what I mean - who thinks peri in their 30s??)
My Photobucket Album
You suggested this to me awhile back and I looked up lots of info online and also bought a book of basics. It's not as complicated as it sounds at first, and it makes sense. And when I'm ready to give up sugar and white bread, I will give it a go.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
You suggested this to me awhile back and I looked up lots of info online and also bought a book of basics. It's not as complicated as it sounds at first, and it makes sense. And when I'm ready to give up sugar and white bread, I will give it a go.
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
lol. I hear that. And your right, its very simple when you adjust to it.
My Photobucket Album
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
lol. I hear that. And your right, its very simple when you adjust to it.
Originally Posted by rudeechick
Right now I'm a big ol' sugar junkie. But a few years ago I cut out most sugar (had an occasional small treat). I was very surprised that it was so easy for me. And I really prefer whole grains anyway, so that was not a problem at all.

But I don't think I can give up wine! And I'm guessing that is not good for the low-glycemic diet. LOL
shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
Hi again,
Is it the actual GI diet by Rick Gallop that you are following?
Sugar... ugh, I feel withdrawls just thinking about that. It reminds me of a book I've read, Potatoes not Prozac.
I'm definitely interested as I feel just too darn young to go through such icky symptoms.
Hi again,
Is it the actual GI diet by Rick Gallop that you are following?
Sugar... ugh, I feel withdrawls just thinking about that. It reminds me of a book I've read, Potatoes not Prozac.
I'm definitely interested as I feel just too darn young to go through such icky symptoms.
Originally Posted by Ropin' Curl
Its not one specific diet. Its a science-based nutritional principle based on maintaining steady constant blood sugar levels thruout the day. This is achieved by going no longer than 3 hours without eating, and eating foods that fall low on the Glycemic Index Level. It doesnt mean never having sweets. It means never having certain sweets. And having things in proportion and balance.

It works for me because I am very regimented in nature. I also learned the easy way, as I started out on NutriSystem, which is based on the principal and has an AMAZING website (similar to NC) for tips and support. Actually, Springcurl from this site sent me there, and its a GREAT resource; you should check it out.

HTH
My Photobucket Album
Thanks Rudeechick
I am definitely researching the GLI and what it means to me and adapting it into my life. So much to learn and yet the concept is simple...
Thanks for sharing!!
rudeechick, this is interesting. Can you give me an example of what a typical day would be like for you, foodwise? Also, what do you have to give up for good? TIA!
The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
Finally started this Jan 4th. I have thyroid issues plus severe diabetes runs in my family and I'm trying to ward that off. And the low glycemic type of diet is balanced and healthy and not really difficult (it is also the basis for many popular diets - Nutrisystem, Southbeach, etc). I don't look up every single morsel of food I eat, but I have the basics down and in 8 days I lost 5 pounds and just feel so much better all around.
For January I'm being extra strict and eliminating all sugar, pasta, rice, potatoes, corn, peas, bread, and fruit. Plus no booze and cutting back on caffeine and very little dairy. After a few weeks I will add those back in (in small amounts).
Right now I'm kind of detoxing myself and trying to get things balanced. No I'm not a slave to a diet. No I won't give up my favorite things forever. No I don't drink a hundred glasses of water a day. I drink when I'm thirsty. I will treat myself to a beer or a real coke or a piece of candy once in awhile. This is just a basis for a healthy lifestyle. It's basically the way I always eat in the summer - I just have to try to stick to that year round. So far so good!
An average day looks like this -
breakfast - morningstar farms spicy black bean burger, hard boiled egg, V8 juice, tea
snack - a few pecans, walnuts, peanuts, some sugarless hard candy
lunch - hamburger patty cooked in a little olive oil and chopped garlic, salad with lettuces, celery, herbs, avocado, cucumber, balsamic vinegar and a little olive oil
snack - tea, small piece of col-jack cheese
dinner - chicken thighs and mixed veggies sauteed in green chiles and garlic, salad, a few black olives
snack - raw veggies with a little ranch dressing, a sugarfree peppermint patty
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
I wanted to add a few things I found useful/tasty. Though I'm not following a strict LGI diet, nor am I perimenopausal, I have had undiagnosed hormonal/thyroid/fatigue/food allergy issues for many years. For example, eating sugar or refined flour or pasta would literally knock me out--I'd fall asleep immediately after eating. I'm trying to eat mostly whole foods in an effort to improve my health. Two things I'm loving:

Ezekiel breads: they are sprouted whole grain bread products that are high in fiber and protein and low in all the bad stuff. If you can have whole grains, this stuff satisfies the urge when you want to eat a sandwich or toast. The brand can usually be found in the freezer section.

Raw desserts: raw foods are made from whole foods. I have a bunch of recipes but my favorite is raw brownies made primarily from dates and walnuts. I posted the recipe in the recipe forum but here it is again:
c. cacao powder (Navitas Naturals)
c. pitted medjool dates (about 6)
c. raw walnut pieces
1 tsp. coconut butter
tsp. vanilla extract
pinch sea salt

Put all ingredients in food processor, and process until soft dough forms. Press into 1-inch-thick layer. Cut into bite-sized pieces, and enjoy! Makes about 12 bites.

Adapted from http://www.juliemorris.net/2009/08/1...nies/#comments

I love sweets and I crave something sweet after every meal. Dates have been satisfying that craving very well. Overall, eliminating refined sugar and flour has made a big difference in my ability to sleep, my mental acuity, and general health!
Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix,
Tigi MM
Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...4&postcount=97

I am so pleased others are seeing positive results from this! I feel SOOOO much better when I stay "on plan" - I sleep better, have more energy and reduced to reversed peri meno symptoms.
My Photobucket Album
I found this article today

Menopause, Menopause and Weight Gain, Middle Age Spread

not real pleased with what I read.........I already eat whole grain everything my daughter doesn't even know what white flour is I know I've had my weaknesses with sugar I do love dessert stuff. I'd pass up a meal for a piece of cheese cake or ricotta pancakes any day! Over the last month I'm really being more diligent about my sugar intake though and I'm upping my cardio. But, this article worries me.

For example, if you ate 1,000 calories before menopause, you would burn 700 of them and store around 300. After menopause, your body will store 700 and burn only 300! This is a big difference, and the result is weight gain! Even a modest weight gain can result in a change of dress size.
That is really scary!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if you enter menopause at a healthy weight you can still gain that much? It seems like a losing battle. How are you all coping?
Luv ya D
My Photobucket Album
Luv ya D
Originally Posted by rudeechick
Love ya back rudee are we destined to be fat together?

I just can't imagine spending the next 30 yrs watching every freakin' bite I take! That is really depressing...........

is it really this bad?????????????
Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
lol.... I will kep you posted
My Photobucket Album

Trending Topics