CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   Over 40 (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/)
-   -   "Going Gray Looking Great" book (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/92316-going-gray-looking-great-book.html)

curlyinohio 12-04-2009 02:46 PM

"Going Gray Looking Great" book

I bought the book, 'Going Gray, Looking Great'. I was surprised some things. For one, the author REALLY pushes the silicone for shine. By her book, she must think that's the ONLY way to get shine. She's also very in favor of shampoo, and blowdrying. Yet she ALSO says that gray hair is much more fragile and delicate than pigmented hair! It's funny how being CG made me look at those points differently than I would have before hearing about CG. I'm still reading the book. I'm about halfway through. Of course, there's NO way I'm gonna ever blow dry OR shampoo again. I think what I'll do is apply the CG principles to the principles in her book, and get the advantages of both. Between the two, hopefully I'll have really stunning silver hair!

2poodles 12-05-2009 05:24 AM

I think the book was written several years ago. On her website she talks about shampooing less often and using more conditioner. She also likes Ouidad - who also uses poo's and cones in some products, too. And she is a proponent of the violet rinses to get rid of the dulling yellowing of gray hair. I like the book and the website as a support for women considering transitioning to their natural hair color - it offers several ways to do it and lots of nice photos - especially on the website.

jeepcurlygurl 12-06-2009 08:15 PM

I read this book and the Curly Girl book at least once a year or so. I don't agree with every word but they are both full of good information and inspiration. And the Going Gray Looking Great website is also really inspiring.

curlyinohio 12-08-2009 01:26 PM

Yes, I love that site. Whenever I feel like giving in and coloring, I look at those ladies who got through the transition, and now have gorgeous silver hair. It really helps keep me motivated.

silversatin 02-16-2010 01:27 PM

Going Gray, Looking Great! Book

I do hope you'll read Chapter 12 "crazy, wavy, hazy gray" of Diana Jewell's book. It's especially for curly girlies! On page 194 "earth, wind and fire....And fire, in the form of hot-blow dryers, can parch hair even more, and can actually singe the ends. Curly hair, in fact, should AVOID the highest settings altogether." She goes on to talk about the problems with shampooing for curlies.

As for silicones, on page 83, she talks about how they work, but goes on to talk about products formulated with ceramides. On page 84 "give me strength...Any shampoo or treatment that contains water can be said to provide moisture. But, you know what happens if you put water on your face and let it evaporate. Your skin gets dry.....look for ingredients like spirulina, an excellent scalp and hair hydrator, hyaluronic acid, which binds moisture to the hair, or algae extract, lecithin, bee pollen, jojoba, safflower, or avocado oils. This is healthy, nondrying moisture."

As you can tell, I'm a big fan of this book. I have read and re-read it more times than I can count. It's worth a serious read to glean all the great info it contains! And don't forget to check out the website of the same name. Any questions you have, I know Diana would be glad to personally address. That woman is a goldmine in a silver world!!!

rbb 02-16-2010 03:10 PM

the website gave me some great tips on getting through the transition phase!! clearly it is not truly cg, but i discount that and just take the helpful hints on the color. for example she recommended not to wear white, light grey or pastels as it will fade you out, and, wow! that is so true. helped me with looking for clothes, jewelry.
the other thing i found helpful is that the website mentions in various places to be careful when deciding to cut your hair short to avoid the transition phase -- it can be helpful, but that many people start coloring again because they are unhappy with the length.
that is me right now -- i will NOT color again, love the color, but hate the length. not super short, earlobe length when it curls dry, and it is taking a loooonnnngggg time for the front/sides to grow in. but i am very glad i decided to do it. love the color!
i do think this is an extremely helpful site for anyone deciding to go gray. just pick what you want and leave the rest.

... 04-27-2010 09:52 AM

jeepcurlygurl 04-27-2010 10:04 AM

In the winter I use more Ojon since grey hair tends to be a little dryer. But all in all I use the same products and routine as I always have.
I looked up 'ceramides' and after reading a couple sentences like this - The sphingomyelinase pathway uses an enzyme to breakdown sphingomyelin in the cell membrane and release ceramide - I decided I don't care what they are or what they do. : )

2poodles 04-27-2010 11:46 AM

I found this quick explanation about ceramides:
http://juvenescent.wordpress.com/200...and-your-hair/

I just use my regular products on gray hair - including CJ products. I also deep condition once a week or so.

rbb 04-27-2010 12:02 PM

i use the same products, also. i do find that i have to leave in a heavier leave in, so now i use spiral solutions dt as a leave in, and that works amazingly well for my hair.

... 04-27-2010 12:52 PM

curlygoinggray 08-30-2012 01:47 PM

I have the book and belong to the Cafe. It's whats gotten me through the going gray transition so far.